GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Plasma TV

+11
TheAvatar
The Silfer Server
wprager
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 16]

151New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

From here

I turned off the "Auto Motion Plus" feature and all my issues are solved.

You should be able to find settings listed for this set to do some proper calibration in addition to disabling (or at least setting to the lowest level) any "enhancements".

Typically with all motion smoothing schemes the end result is the picture looks like it was videotaped (even for film); the so-called soap-opera effect. It may be OK for sports (not sure about gaming) but I absolutely hate it for film. Stayed at a hotel a little while back and the TV in the room had motion enhancements turned on, with no way (that I could figure out) to access the menu to turn it off.

152New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:55 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Another possibility from a Facebook thread:

I have a KS8000 and have also been suffering awful motion blur/ghosting especially in dark scenes but I managed to eliminate most of the issue by turning off "Digital Clean View" in the picture settings

Again, any digital manipulation of the picture usually leads to a worse picture.

153New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yup I have all those turned off. It's not really motion blur that's the issue, it's an image duplication that is apparently present on all TVs that use backlight flickering. My eyes are also more sensitive to this sort of thing as I have had laser surgery and lights sometimes have a halo around them. Plasma was great for this. Apparently most Sony 4K tvs don't use flickering so I may look into those.

This isn't a big deal or anything but it's hard getting used to it after watching on a plasma for so long. That's why I think I'll take the plunge and get OLED

154New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:28 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Plasma...the champion that time forgot.

155New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:44 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Yup I have all those turned off. It's not really motion blur that's the issue, it's an image duplication that is apparently present on all TVs that use backlight flickering. My eyes are also more sensitive to this sort of thing as I have had laser surgery and lights sometimes have a halo around them. Plasma was great for this. Apparently most Sony 4K tvs don't use flickering so I may look into those.

This isn't a big deal or anything but it's hard getting used to it after watching on a plasma for so long. That's why I think I'll take the plunge and get OLED

Last time I bought a Sony I thought I was getting something that wasn't a piece of shiznit. Boy, was I wrong. StickmanDancing

156New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:16 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm in the market for a new TV. Wife thinks the 55"we bought 4-5 years ago is too big to hang above the fireplace. I figure if I get a new set it should be 4k, but not too many in the sub 55" size. Since I mostly watch the set on the bedroom anyway (kids rule the family room) maybe I should see if someone on Kijiji has a 50"they think it's too small and do a swap.

At the same time I find the upstairs TV is too small (aging eyes and all). Wonder what my chances are at convincing her that 55"in the bedroom is a good idea. Hey-o!

157New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:18 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I was actually checking out a 50 or 49" Sony. Read somewhere that Sony TVs over 50" all run the Android TV OS. Does that mean that the one I was looking at didn't have it? Guy at the store couldn't find the right remote.

158New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Does anyone here have a 4k tv? There was a bunch of them at Leon's with TSN on. Looked terrible. Picture looked great on done of the 1080p sets, although they were smaller and I stood about the same distance away.

Since there's not much 4k content now, most of what we watch will be 1080 upconverted to 4k. If they simply double every line and every pixel on the line I would expect the picture to look pretty much the same. But if they try some fancy algorithm (detect edges in the image and extrapolate them into the extra scan lines) then the picture would look different and, if not done right, could be bad.

Reviews on some sets specifically mention bad 1080p, but your Samsungs and Sonys and LGs are supposed to be quite good. Not what I saw at Leon's.

But I generally hate the results of any motion smoothing algorithms, so maybe that was it?

What's your experience?

159New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a Sony x900e and its fantastic. Song is well known for is upscaling

never judge a picture by what it looks like in store, unless is fully calibrated in a controlled environment.

160New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I know, but most stores show done 4k loop of beautiful mountains or seaside cities or colorful animals. Clips with little motion aimed to show off the best of 4k. This may have been the first time I saw 4k sets showing he cable.

161New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Speaking of Sonys, I want one simply for the Android TV. But I'm not sure it's the best anymore (certainly not the best bang for buck).

A friend of mine who was a huge Sony fan earlier ended up returning the 4k set he bought and swapping it for an LG OLED. I'm not into spending that much but I have an LG 1080p now and I'm happy with it.

But from recent reviews the best 4k LEDs are Samsung right now.

162New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:55 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another thing, do I care about 120hz vs 60 hz? Cable is 60 fps (either ful 720p or interlaced 720p). 3D seems to have gone away. So why would I care for 120hz?

163New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:50 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wouldn't really care much about 120hz. Can't offer any opinion about current TVs though...still using my old LG plasma.

164New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:15 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Speaking of Sonys, I want one simply for the Android TV. But I'm not sure it's the best anymore (certainly not the best bang for buck).

A friend of mine who was a huge Sony fan earlier ended up returning the 4k set he bought and swapping it for an LG OLED. I'm not into spending that much but I have an LG 1080p now and I'm happy with it.

But from recent reviews the best 4k LEDs are Samsung right now.

Actually Sony’s are usually the recommended ones right now after the OLEDs:http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd. I had the Samsung from last year and I hated the motion on it. The sony is much better for that.

The LG oled will be a good price on Black Friday. Right now it’s $2500 for the 55 inch.

165New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't really care much about 120hz.  Can't offer any opinion about current TVs though...still using my old LG plasma.
I'm still very satisfied with my plasma, even though I noticed some weird coloration around the edges, that won't be enough to make me change it. Maybe when I move I'll buy a new TV for the bedroom which is where I watch most of the games nowadays (I've got a 20 some screen monitor hooked up to my computer) but I can't see why else I need a new TV for.

How good are televisions nowadays compared to plasma anyways?

166New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I wouldn't really care much about 120hz.  Can't offer any opinion about current TVs though...still using my old LG plasma.
I'm still very satisfied with my plasma, even though I noticed some weird coloration around the edges, that won't be enough to make me change it. Maybe when I move I'll buy a new TV for the bedroom which is where I watch most of the games nowadays (I've got a 20 some screen monitor hooked up to my computer) but I can't see why else I need a new TV for.

How good are televisions nowadays compared to plasma anyways?

My guess is there's not much difference since broadcast quality probably isn't even equal to the performance of a Zenith floor model from 1976.

167New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:27 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OLED is not in my near future, not even Black Friday. I'm looking for a 48-50" and right now I can get a decent one for around $700. A Sony in that price range would be a 1080p. I'd like to pay closer to $500, so I'll wait for Black Friday.

168New Plasma TV - Page 11 Empty Re: New Plasma TV Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:OLED is not in my near future, not even Black Friday. I'm looking for a 48-50" and right now I can get a decent one for around $700. A Sony in that price range would be a 1080p.  I'd like to pay closer to $500, so I'll wait for Black Friday.

Well basically any TV in that price range will be far inferior to plasma.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum