GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

+15
Flo The Action
garblar
SensFan71
wprager
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
stempniaksen
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Hoags
CockRoche
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I agree that the backup needs to be dependable, but Anderson has proven he can play 70 games... the risk in Ottawa is a lot lower than it would be if they had Elliott, Lehner, or someone else stepping in.

Either way, I think there is upside to signing Leclaire at this point but if they walked away I get it.

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:I agree that the backup needs to be dependable, but Anderson has proven he can play 70 games... the risk in Ottawa is a lot lower than it would be if they had Elliott, Lehner, or someone else stepping in.

Either way, I think there is upside to signing Leclaire at this point but if they walked away I get it.

Anderson hasn't proven he can play 70 games a year in the city where goalies come to die though Laugh1

I think it's important for a backup to be healthy enough to be able to go into games when called upon, and for that reason alone I wouldn't go near Glasscal with a ten foot pole when there are literally a dozen other options (think of it as trading off skill for reliability, as long as we aren't doing that with our starter I'm fine with that).

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
Harding would be a nice option if he's cheap. Anderson and he would make a nice tandem IMO.

Harding is a good choice for #2 job here. He seems to have some potential to be a #1. He's been playing behind Backstrom so there's no chance he'll be #1 ever in Minny, they have some good prospects there as well if I recall (Lindback ?).

Injury concerns are the only big negative. He blew out his knee in preseason and hasn't played all year. Hard to tell if that will be an issue going forward and if his game will suffer long term.

Jimmy Howard is a good one as well but I can't imagine Detroit not resigning him nor do I see him wanting to leave.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:Jimmy Howard is absolutely not Brian Elliott in any way. I'm sure he's being insulated in Detroit and he has had a rough stretch this year, but the potential in this kid is just unreal. I'm not saying he'll ever be a top-five goaltender, but he is certainly a legitimate #1 goaltender (closer to Anderson level then Elliott). That being said style wise they are kinda-ish similar so a comparison can be made in that regard.

If there were two goaltenders that are similar in every way it's those two. From their technique to the mental focus. Both guys let in a bad goal and they get rattled, they are both big bodies who play the butterfly, and they both depend on their teams in front of them to win games.

Howard is a backup in any other organization other than Detroit, if you flip Elliott and Howard in Ottawa and Detroit, it would be the exact same result. Howard is nothing to write home about and Detroit already tried to make a move to move him out of that number 1 spot when they signed Nabokov.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If Craig Anderson is the guy the Senators deem to be their #1, then you treat him as the #1. You don't bring in a guy that also expects to be the #1, and you don't bring in a guy to "share the workload". As Neely said, Anderson should be the go to guy handling roughly 85% of the starts. Anderson is here and I think he knows that he is the guy here, and that is good for the team, the fans and him.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:I agree that the backup needs to be dependable, but Anderson has proven he can play 70 games... the risk in Ottawa is a lot lower than it would be if they had Elliott, Lehner, or someone else stepping in.

Anderson hasn't proven he can play 70 games a year in the city where goalies come to die though Laugh1

I think it's important for a backup to be healthy enough to be able to go into games when called upon, and for that reason alone I wouldn't go near Glasscal with a ten foot pole when there are literally a dozen other options (think of it as trading off skill for reliability, as long as we aren't doing that with our starter I'm fine with that).

I totally agree, I'm just saying if there was ever a time to take a chance on a guy like Leclaire, it would be next year. I'm not saying it's the way it should go or will, but if you are looking for a guy that has a lot to prove and high upside, it's Leclaire.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Harding would be a nice option if he's cheap. Anderson and he would make a nice tandem IMO.

Harding is a good choice for #2 job here. He seems to have some potential to be a #1. He's been playing behind Backstrom so there's no chance he'll be #1 ever in Minny, they have some good prospects there as well if I recall (Lindback ?).

Injury concerns are the only big negative. He blew out his knee in preseason and hasn't played all year. Hard to tell if that will be an issue going forward and if his game will suffer long term.

Jimmy Howard is a good one as well but I can't imagine Detroit not resigning him nor do I see him wanting to leave.

Harding would be a great option as well. My fav guy out there.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:Jimmy Howard is absolutely not Brian Elliott in any way. I'm sure he's being insulated in Detroit and he has had a rough stretch this year, but the potential in this kid is just unreal. I'm not saying he'll ever be a top-five goaltender, but he is certainly a legitimate #1 goaltender (closer to Anderson level then Elliott). That being said style wise they are kinda-ish similar so a comparison can be made in that regard.

If there were two goaltenders that are similar in every way it's those two. From their technique to the mental focus. Both guys let in a bad goal and they get rattled, they are both big bodies who play the butterfly, and they both depend on their teams in front of them to win games.

Howard is a backup in any other organization other than Detroit, if you flip Elliott and Howard in Ottawa and Detroit, it would be the exact same result. Howard is nothing to write home about and Detroit already tried to make a move to move him out of that number 1 spot when they signed Nabokov.

Nabokov was/is a goalie who couldn't even cut it in the KHL and who I believe is most certainly on his last legs. Obviously we have very differing opinions about Jimmy Howard though, since I think the guy is probably a top-20 goaltender in this league and a legitimate #1 on a handful of teams.

EDIT: And Harding is a guy I haven't been all that impressed with (although flashes of great play). Different strokes for different folks I guess Laugh1

Last edited by stempniaksen on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ideally, i would want the #1 to play about 65-75% of the games. Anderson played way too many games last season, and it showed towards the end of the season (except for those great playoff wins). I think he could play about 60 games, which would give him a lot of rest here and there.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:If Craig Anderson is the guy the Senators deem to be their #1, then you treat him as the #1. You don't bring in a guy that also expects to be the #1, and you don't bring in a guy to "share the workload". As Neely said, Anderson should be the go to guy handling roughly 85% of the starts. Anderson is here and I think he knows that he is the guy here, and that is good for the team, the fans and him.

We sign a guy designated to be #2, no ifs and buts.

But he should be reliable enough to count on if Anderson goes down, or has a really cold streak.

I think a big factor in this lost season was the huge uncertainty in goal, from health issues to deflating soft goals.

We had a laugh in the office talking about Elliott's debut in Colorado, and how it looked like a Sens game.

Huge rebound and a goal, Elliott gets rattled and starts letting in soft goals that any goalie should be able to stop.

The difference in the team and Clouston's demeanor after only 2 games with Anderson is mindblowing. Amazing what having a goalie that the team can count on can do to a team's confidence.

NEELY wrote:
Harding would be a great option as well. My fav guy out there.

No health concerns ? He might be the next Leclaire

Last edited by Hoags on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Nabokov was/is a goalie who couldn't even cut it in the KHL and who I believe is most certainly on his last legs. Obviously we have very differing opinions about Jimmy Howard though, since I think the guy is probably a top-20 goaltender in this league and a legitimate #1 on a handful of teams.

EDIT: And Harding is a guy I haven't been all that impressed with (although flashes of great play). Different strokes for different folks I guess Laugh1

I don't even really mind Howard all that much, but I just see Elliott and him as the exact same goalie. It's honestly scary.

Harding is a guy I really like and he is a guy that will be looking to prove himself as well. I don't think he leaves Minn though.

Anyways, if they turn the page on Leclaire I get it and agree, but I can see the upside in signing a 1 year deal and seeing where it goes.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Anyways, if they turn the page on Leclaire I get it and agree, but I can see the upside in signing a 1 year deal and seeing where it goes.

Next season has to be a fresh start. New team, new coach, new GM.

I think it'll be a negative with him in there leaving some of the players wondering when he'll go down again. Not his fault but he's left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I think it'll be a negative with him in there leaving some of the players wondering when he'll go down again. Not his fault but he's left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second. If Leclaire goes down it will be a huge non issue like it basically is right now. Anderson is the number 1 already and he has shown how good he can be.

I think the fresh start with fresh faces is probably the right way to go though. I just refuse to totally dismiss the possibility of Leclaire coming back or the upside of it. Risk may be to high for sure but like I said, if there was ever a time to take a risk with a backup, it's next year.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Down Goes Brown has a new "post"... talking about the NHL's Trade Call service, and among other funny gems, he has this:

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2011/02/what-official-nhl-trade-call-sounds.html

"If you just realized you've accidentally traded for a good starting
goaltender when you're trying to tank for the first overall pick and
would like a mulligan, press 2."

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second. If Leclaire goes down it will be a huge non issue like it basically is right now. Anderson is the number 1 already and he has shown how good he can be.

I think the fresh start with fresh faces is probably the right way to go though. I just refuse to totally dismiss the possibility of Leclaire coming back or the upside of it. Risk may be to high for sure but like I said, if there was ever a time to take a risk with a backup, it's next year.

But like I said earlier, Leclaire would not be successful playing only 20 games or so, IMO. He needs to play a ton of games in a row to find some consistency. His upside wouldn't be reach as a backup, so just letting him go is the best option. Also, there is a risk if he does go down even if Anderson is the #1: Melnyk doesn't want to pay a guy who is always injured. It's just a waste of money for him and the team's cap space.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Down Goes Brown has a new "post"... talking about the NHL's Trade Call service, and among other funny gems, he has this:

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2011/02/what-official-nhl-trade-call-sounds.html

"If you just realized you've accidentally traded for a good starting
goaltender when you're trying to tank for the first overall pick and
would like a mulligan, press 2."

It's true but we have to balance 'tanking' with making plans and preparations for next year as well and a #1 goalie is at the top of the list.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
NEELY wrote:Well, I am not one to say Leclaire should be part of the team going forward... but having Anderson changes a lot. If people want to say "no way Leclaire should be back, get rid of him", it's tough to disagree and that's probably the right way to go about it in all honestly. BUT could signing Leclaire at his lowest value and perhaps building him up to the point he has value again a risk worth taking?

Having an Anderson/Leclaire duo next year would be a small risk, but nothing crazy or totally out of the ordinary. Obviously they would need to sign a guy like Brust or Sandford, someone like that as a little insurance. They need depth in goal and having 2 goalies that are capable of being number 1's (insert Leclaire joke) would not be a bad thing. Having two goalies who have the ability to steal games on any given night might be the way to go.

If they don't resign Leclaire than obviously they really don't want him, but IMO, the risk is minimal if they have a true number 1 and have the ability to lave Lehner down in Bingo to play a large portion of games.
The true risk to signing Leclaire as a backup, is that he is so unreliable you almost have to keep a spare goalie in the organization. Let him go and get someone who can stay healthy. The organization needs Lehner to have a nice stable year, not being bounced around like a superball.

Meh. So you carry three goalies all year, with Leclaire being signed to a cheap, 1-year, possibly 2-way deal. We're going to have the cap space to do it. At worst, he does nothing for you; at best, maybe he does something and you can trade him for a little something for a team looking for goaltending help in February. It was looking like NYI would do just that a few years ago when they signed Roloson and Biron, on top of DiPietro. Didn't work out in the end (DiPietro could never get healthy), but it didn't really hurt the Isles much, and you could see that the plan was to basically buy a draft pick by signing those two and then trading one of them if possible.

I'm certainly not advocating for re-signing Leclaire (it would be a PR nightmare at any rate), but I can see a scenario in which in might make some sense. But carrying 3 goalies all year is tough. Not enough nets in practice, and it puts a strain on the 23-man roster limit.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Leclaire will flounder as a backup.

He needs to stay healthy and he needs to play a lot of games to get his game back on track. Chances of both happening in the NHL are slim to none.

Last edited by Hoags on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum