GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Craig Anderson Info from the Denver Post

+15
Flo The Action
garblar
SensFan71
wprager
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
stempniaksen
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Hoags
CockRoche
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

rooneypoo wrote:
Hoags wrote:The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.

Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.

The Martin Biron analogy makes a whole lot of sense. If he plays reasonably well, I'd easily be happy with signing him for $2-3 million. After seeing last nights game though, I think we can have the best of both worlds: Great goaltending, and not enough offence to jeopardize our draft standing. Laugh1

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Hoags wrote:The Sens could easily make a wrong evaluation on any of the FA goalies out there. With Anderson we have a much better chance of making the right call.

I'd put Anderson as #3 FA goalie behind Bryz and Vokoun, there's a steep drop off after that this summer.

Definitely. It's a Cussing blackhole after those three. If Anderson plays like he can down the stretch, & we can get him to sign a 2-3 year deal for $2-3 mil per, just do it. No big name goalie is going to want to come to a rebuilding team, and it doesn't make sense to overpay for one on the UFA market anyway; and it certainly doesn't make sense to trade away assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a big name goalie.

This is the Martin Biron trade to & then signing with PHI scenario, but for the year 2011. It's the move that made the most sense for a rebuilding PHI then, just like it's the move that makes the most sense for a rebuilding OTT now.

The Martin Biron analogy makes a whole lot of sense. If he plays reasonably well, I'd easily be happy with signing him for $2-3 million. After seeing last nights game though, I think we can have the best of both worlds: Great goaltending, and not enough offence to jeopardize our draft standing. Laugh1

It certainly would be nice to have one glaring hole addressed so we can turn to all the other things that need addressing, that's for sure.

Again, BM targeted the best goalie available (i.e., pending UFA) who he could reasonable expect to be able to sign. If it works out, this is among the best trades BM has ever made, & and I say that while acknowledging I was a fan of Elliott & one of his few steady supporters. If it doesn't work out, it was a risk that needed taking -- and we can secure another backup of equal ability or so, for about the same price & term that we would have paid Elliott either way.

I don't understand how or why people could view this move in any other light.

rooneypoo wrote:
hemlock wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

It certainly would be nice to have one glaring hole addressed so we can turn to all the other things that need addressing, that's for sure.

Again, BM targeted the best goalie available (i.e., pending UFA) who he could reasonable expect to be able to sign. If it works out, this is among the best trades BM has ever made, & and I say that while acknowledging I was a fan of Elliott & one of his few steady supporters. If it doesn't work out, it was a risk that needed taking -- and we can secure another backup of equal ability or so, for about the same price & term that we would have paid Elliott either way.

I don't understand how or why people could view this move in any other light.

My reservations were solely based on him hurting our draft standing, which doesn't seem likely. 100% agree with your take though.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:

My reservations were solely based on him hurting our draft standing, which doesn't seem likely. 100% agree with your take though.

I think even with the world's very best goaltending right now, this team would still finish with a bottom 4 pick. And that's all we need, really. After everything Dash and Asq2 have said, I'm starting to warm up to Couturier a lot more, so if this team actually winning some games means we 'get stuck' drafting him over Nugent-Hopkins or Landeskog, I think I'm OK with that. Getting a good draft pick is essential, I agree, but developing a winning culture is needed, too, especially for the kids.

Besides, you can always start Leclaire for a few games if things get going a bit too well. Laugh1

rooneypoo wrote:
hemlock wrote:

I think even with the world's very best goaltending right now, this team would still finish with a bottom 4 pick. And that's all we need, really. After everything Dash and Asq2 have said, I'm starting to warm up to Couturier a lot more, so if this team actually winning some games means we 'get stuck' drafting him over Nugent-Hopkins or Landeskog, I think I'm OK with that. Getting a good draft pick is essential, I agree, but developing a winning culture is needed, too, especially for the kids.

Besides, you can always start Leclaire for a few games if things get going a bit too well. Laugh1

Laugh1

With only 25 or so games left, I am afraid Leclaire would only be good for one start before a hangnail popped up, or the scoreboard fell on him. As long as we are in the bottom 3 when the season ends, we are guaranteed a top 4 drafting position so I think we are probably safe. Point well taken on the winning culture.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

Spot on, this is exactly like Philly going after Biron (although I'm a bigger fan of Anderson).

This team can't continue to lose at the same pace as it has been, simply for morale reasons. I think our draft spot is safely in the top-four so I'm not worried about losing out on the bigger name prospects. What I am worried about is letting a losing culture set in (even though we're bad we can't continue to get consistently torn to shreds).

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I think if we make him feel "loved" he'll sign with us. He used to playing on crap team (Florida), so I don't think that's an issue.

I can see fat head Burke making a run for him in the summer just to drive the price up. This is why we need to ink this deal before the season ends.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Now that I've had a chance to think about this trade a bit more my opinion on this trade is not that we potentially found a top end starter (Even after watching the Leaf game). I think what we did in this trade was acquire an older UFA version of what Elliott was supposed to be except that Anderson comes with a hint and a hope of being a lot more. Any NHL goalie can come up with a game like Anderson did. It's the elite that can be consistently good to great. Anderson has played one great season as a starter and otherwise he's been a pretty stellar backup. The Sens definitely still need another NHL caliber goalie in order for Lehner to play next season in Bingo so we'll see what happens. The fact that they were in no hurry to scoop someone up on the free agent market suggests they may be happy to have Lehner as a backup next season. Not the best move IMO.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:The fact that they were in no hurry to scoop someone up on the free agent market suggests they may be happy to have Lehner as a backup next season. Not the best move IMO.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The free agent market isn't open yet? Lehner may split games with whoever our other goalie is next year (likely Anderson?), or he might get the majority of starts in Bingo. I think that a full year of being the starter in Bingo would be great for his development, but I don't think that splitting time in the NHL would ruin him either.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:The fact that they were in no hurry to scoop someone up on the free agent market suggests they may be happy to have Lehner as a backup next season. Not the best move IMO.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The free agent market isn't open yet? Lehner may split games with whoever our other goalie is next year (likely Anderson?), or he might get the majority of starts in Bingo. I think that a full year of being the starter in Bingo would be great for his development, but I don't think that splitting time in the NHL would ruin him either.

What I meant was they could have signed someone who didn't have a contract this year just to fill the hole and let Lehner play in Bingo.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

What I meant was they could have signed someone who didn't have a contract this year just to fill the hole and let Lehner play in Bingo.

Ohhhh. I think by the time they realized they needed another goalie, there wasn’t really much of anything left on the free agent market. And Mike Brodeur was still floating around as a potential 3rd stringer if we needed him. By the time the poop really hit the fan, it was pretty much too late to get anything worth having from the FA market.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Here's the issue. Bingo is in a playoff hunt and their goalie is playing like the MVP of the league, so Lehner is not even sure to play more games in Bingo than here.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Here's the issue. Bingo is in a playoff hunt and their goalie is playing like the MVP of the league, so Lehner is not even sure to play more games in Bingo than here.

Absolutely but he'd still be better off playing in Bingo IMO and if Lehner is as good as everyone seems to think then he should be pushing and challenging for the starting job in Bingo. If he can't do that then we're in trouble.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Meh. The whole "playing Lehner in the NHL is GOING TO RUIN HIM AHHHHHH" card has been played so often that I think it's clouding people's judgments. We do still have Leclaire remember -- suppress the laugh; the odds of him getting hurt as a backup are at least reduced -- & he's going to be the backup the moment that he's healthy (which sounds like it will be soon), and Lehner will be sent back down then. So going out & picking up another goalie doesn't make much sense, especially financially. In the meantime, a few games practicing with the Sens, and a few starts here & there, will give Lehner a taste. A whetting of the appetite.

Who knows, the plan may well be to sign Anderson and then pair him with a solid backup (i.e., one signed in July 2011). Plenty of decent options to choose from there, in terms of backups, anyway. Let's wait until it all plays out before we get too excited.

And, let's have a little faith in the collective wisdom of the organization, too, instead of getting too cocksure about "this is the way Lehner should be handled." Nobody is more concerned about his development, and has more knowledge or experience on handling the situation, than BM & the organization collectively. Nobody. We would do well to remember that point.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

As much as I'd like to think that Anderson's 47-save performance meant:
a) he likes us, he really likes us
b) he's going to play 70+ games like that for us next year

The truth of the matter is that this is a guy who is playing for his next contract. He is trying to impress 29 GMs (well, probably a lot fewer, but at least I'm fairly confident he's not headed back to Colorado), not just one. All he have is a bit of a head-start in marketing this team and the city.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:As much as I'd like to think that Anderson's 47-save performance meant:
a) he likes us, he really likes us
b) he's going to play 70+ games like that for us next year

The truth of the matter is that this is a guy who is playing for his next contract. He is trying to impress 29 GMs (well, probably a lot fewer, but at least I'm fairly confident he's not headed back to Colorado), not just one. All he have is a bit of a head-start in marketing this team and the city.

Sure. I don't see a problem with any of that, tho'. The two best pending-UFA goalies, Vokoun & Bryzgalov, are not coming here; they're going to want to play on teams with a legitimate chance to win (or in cities that at least have lots of sunshine & beach). The next best two (both RFAs, I believe) are Howard & Niemi, and I just don't see them going anywhere. So that leaves Anderson, who I definitely put ahead of Giguere, Turco, Theodore, Smith, Osgood, etc., etc.

Anderson is the guy who makes the most sense for the Sens to target. Is he The Savior? Who knows. All I know is that we need a #1 goalie coming up this year, because clearly Elliott or Leclaire won't have that role, and Anderson is the best option available to us at the moment, in a variety of senses (because he will more than likely accept a short deal, given his past; because signing Bryzgalov to a long, expensive deal doesn't make sense to the organization, with respect to Lehner; and because trading away valuable assets on a rebuilding team to acquire a goalie makes even less sense). So good for BM in identifying that, and good for BM in getting us a head start on signing him.

Let's not talk about 'ruining Lehner' until we at least see what the plan is once Leclaire's healthy (if such a thing is possible), once we make a decision on Anderson, and once we hit the UFA period. If we sign a backup, we have an answer; and if we don't sign a backup, then we also have an answer. Everything before that is conjecture.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Meh. The whole "playing Lehner in the NHL is GOING TO RUIN HIM AHHHHHH" card has been played so often that I think it's clouding people's judgments. We do still have Leclaire remember -- suppress the laugh; the odds of him getting hurt as a backup are at least reduced -- & he's going to be the backup the moment that he's healthy (which sounds like it will be soon), and Lehner will be sent back down then. So going out & picking up another goalie doesn't make much sense, especially financially. In the meantime, a few games practicing with the Sens, and a few starts here & there, will give Lehner a taste. A whetting of the appetite.

Who knows, the plan may well be to sign Anderson and then pair him with a solid backup (i.e., one signed in July 2011). Plenty of decent options to choose from there, in terms of backups, anyway. Let's wait until it all plays out before we get too excited.

And, let's have a little faith in the collective wisdom of the organization, too, instead of getting too cocksure about "this is the way Lehner should be handled." Nobody is more concerned about his development, and has more knowledge or experience on handling the situation, than BM & the organization collectively. Nobody. We would do well to remember that point.

I'm suggesting that they don't think it will ruin him or they would have done something to prevent him from being with the big club. I'm not sure how you could think otherwise from what I wrote there. They had to play Lehner as a backup and the moment that happened (how long has that been now?) they could have signed someone to a two way deal. They obviously didn't think it was necessary. I had been predicting for months that we'd start next season with a capable veteran goalie and Elliott unlike some on here who figured we'd do a one season turn around and pick up a guy like Vokoun or Bryzgalov (not suggesting you said that because I know you didn't). I was wrong about Elliott obviously. I figured they'd keep Elliott since he'd be a cheap RFA re-signing. It would appear that the organisation figured he wouldn't be able to regain his confidence here in Ottawa so they shipped him off.

So we have a capable veteran goalie in Anderson so hopefully he gets re-signed and then pickup a decent backup and Lehner can play in Bingo. I just wonder if the organisation has decided that they'll try hard to sign Anderson and keep Lehner with the big club next season as a backup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum