GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread

+25
dennycrane
Number Twenty Nine
sandysensfan
Hoags
strachattack
Bramlet07
top shelf15
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
asq2
CockRoche
dawg's wife
rooneypoo
shabbs
SDH89
Ev
LeCaptain
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
jawal
stempniaksen
wprager
sens4win
SensHulk
Riprock
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 23]

1662010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

CockRoche wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Lehner will be fine. He'll get his playing time in the second half.

You're right. The second half of the season is just as good as playing all season.

Half a year in AHL > Whole year against kids in CHL

1672010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:08 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think Lehner's coming to Ottawa when this is done. Just a hunch.

1682010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:32 pm

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
CockRoche wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Lehner will be fine. He'll get his playing time in the second half.

You're right. The second half of the season is just as good as playing all season.

Half a year in AHL > Whole year against kids in CHL

Agree to disagree.

1692010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:I think Lehner's coming to Ottawa when this is done. Just a hunch.

That's what I was saying earlier -- if he steals the show at the Juniors. So far, he has had a great game and a game to forget, but he ended up winning both games. Like Neely used to say, he found a way to win. We'll see how the rest of the tournament goes, but if he wins Gold I can easily see Melnyk bringing him in to fill some seats. Maybe he can find a way to fit Cowen in as well. Getting the future here now will not salvage this season, but would at least give the fans a reason to hope for a better future.

Now, that said, the other move could be to bring up Brust and give Lehner the reins in Bingo. No matter what the move would be, we can't carry three goalies, so something has to be done with either Elliott or Leclaire.

Fisher to the rescue?

1702010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:17 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I think Lehner's coming to Ottawa when this is done. Just a hunch.

That's what I was saying earlier -- if he steals the show at the Juniors. So far, he has had a great game and a game to forget, but he ended up winning both games. Like Neely used to say, he found a way to win. We'll see how the rest of the tournament goes, but if he wins Gold I can easily see Melnyk bringing him in to fill some seats. Maybe he can find a way to fit Cowen in as well. Getting the future here now will not salvage this season, but would at least give the fans a reason to hope for a better future.

Now, that said, the other move could be to bring up Brust and give Lehner the reins in Bingo. No matter what the move would be, we can't carry three goalies, so something has to be done with either Elliott or Leclaire.

Fisher to the rescue?

It won't be to fill seats, it will be done because they'll feel that Lehner is legitimately better than Elliott or Leclaire. It might be a mistake, but I think they'll do it personally.

1712010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:37 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:

Fisher to the rescue?
Do we really want to bring Lehner in on a team that can't score for Dung and would have to rely on the goalie stealing every single game to win? I'm almost afraid to expose Cowen to the current versions of Kuba, Gonchar and Phillips. Eek.

1722010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:40 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Do we really want to bring Lehner in on a team that can't score for Dung and would have to rely on the goalie stealing every single game to win? I'm almost afraid to expose Cowen to the current versions of Kuba, Gonchar and Phillips. Eek.

I think they'll want to test his mental toughness and I think he'd relish it. They might not score for him or he might get beaten down, but the experience going into next year alone might be worth it.

I'll say this: right now I trust Lehner more than Elliott or Leclaire. So either it's him or Murray moves for a goalie.

1732010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

Fisher to the rescue?

It won't be to fill seats, it will be done because they'll feel that Lehner is legitimately better than Elliott or Leclaire. It might be a mistake, but I think they'll do it personally.

Ryan Miller couldn't save our bacon now. Lehner *may be* an improvement over Elliott, but not by much -- he is a rookie, after all. What it *would* do, though, is show the paying public the future and give them some reason to be optimistic. You can sell wins or hope, and right now we have a little of the latter and none of the former.

1742010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:58 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Do we really want to bring Lehner in on a team that can't score for Dung and would have to rely on the goalie stealing every single game to win? I'm almost afraid to expose Cowen to the current versions of Kuba, Gonchar and Phillips. Eek.

I think they'll want to test his mental toughness and I think he'd relish it. They might not score for him or he might get beaten down, but the experience going into next year alone might be worth it.

I'll say this: right now I trust Lehner more than Elliott or Leclaire. So either it's him or Murray moves for a goalie.

You'd be accomplishing a few things:

1. Shaming the veterans into playing better rather than being shown up by the kids.
2. Building team chemistry through adversity.
3. Giving them NHL experience.

It's not the right thing to do, but it can be done in a way that approaches "right" by, basically, letting them know that wins are a bonus and that they are only there to play exciting hockey, make mistakes and learn the game.

What was it they always said on The Magic Schoolbus -- Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!

1752010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:12 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Watching Lehner (when I could) at the WJC, I'd say he's a huge step up on Elliott right now. I'm an Elliott guy, but I've had about enough.

1762010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Visentin goes for Canada today.

1772010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:32 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Watching Lehner (when I could) at the WJC, I'd say he's a huge step up on Elliott right now. I'm an Elliott guy, but I've had about enough.

At this point Lehner will be as wildly inconsistent as Elliott. Remember what Roche said about him -- he has actually regressed from a year ago. That's the unfortunate side-effect of playing behind Brust, who is having a great season.

The more I think about it, the more I think they should bring Brust in to tandem with Elliott, waive Leclaire and give Lehner the second half of the AHL season.

Yet, the more I think about that, the more I think that Melnyk will insist on Lehner coming here.

1782010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:14 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Nabokov anyone? I think they should at least put a claim in on him while they have the cap space...then lehner isn't rushed and has a veteran in nBby to look upto

1792010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:Nabokov anyone? I think they should at least put a claim in on him while they have the cap space...then lehner isn't rushed and has a veteran in nBby to look upto
Well, with Tampa acquiring Roloson, a destination for Nabokov now seems up in the air again...

1802010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:33 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Michallica wrote:Nabokov anyone? I think they should at least put a claim in on him while they have the cap space...then lehner isn't rushed and has a veteran in nBby to look upto
Well, with Tampa acquiring Roloson, a destination for Nabokov now seems up in the air again...

I think Nabokov will end up with the Isles now, personally.

I don't want to sign Nabo either as I would rather keep losing games with AHL caliber goaltending with Mr. Brian Elliott.

1812010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Anyways, where's this Nabokov talk coming from? Guys not in the NHL, and who's to say he will even return? Isles I cannot see paying for another expensive goalie Plus he has to go through waivers.

And what team will make that signing now when you possibly have Vokoun, Bryzgalov and Anderson coming off of contracts?

1822010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Gabriel Landeskog's tournament is over... out approx. 4-6 weeks with high ankle sprain.

1832010-11 WJC Discussion Thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 2010-11 WJC Discussion Thread Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Dash wrote:Gabriel Landeskog's tournament is over... out approx. 4-6 weeks with high ankle sprain.

Hopefully, his draft stock will drop. HappyDance1 FingersCrossed

Oh, get well soon kid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum