GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockey dad charged with assault on coach

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hockey dad charged with assault on coach Empty Hockey dad charged with assault on coach Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2010/09/03/15243221.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

There were two goalies and one remaining spot. The coach picked his own son. Hilarity ensued. Sure, it was rep, but it was still pee-wee.

Now, in no way am I condoning his actions -- sounds like the guy has s bit of a rep for this -- but maybe they should look at who can and cannot coach a competitive team or, at the very least, the selection process should never come to a father having to pick between his son and another player.

Sure, the coach should have input, but having the decision made by an arbitrary third party is a better way to go, isn't it?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

LOL, I saw the title and thought... Prager, what did you do?!?!

I've been there before, with competitive basketball. Coaches picking own kid, or this kid because they are a family friend, or I work with this kids dad, etc etc. Politics happen. If the kid doesn't deserve the spot over someone else, then it isn't with the best intentions for the team. Not much you can do, except rant. Violence solves nothing, very well will make it impossible for this kid to make any team now. Hopefully his dad's actions don't ruin it though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:LOL, I saw the title and thought... Prager, what did you do?!?!

I've been there before, with competitive basketball. Coaches picking own kid, or this kid because they are a family friend, or I work with this kids dad, etc etc. Politics happen. If the kid doesn't deserve the spot over someone else, then it isn't with the best intentions for the team. Not much you can do, except rant. Violence solves nothing, very well will make it impossible for this kid to make any team now. Hopefully his dad's actions don't ruin it though.

I'd never push my kid into competitive. My brother-in-law has 4 kids and all four were in competitive at one point or another. The hardest part was the twins -- identical, except one was a little bigger, stronger and there were several cases where one would make a certain level and the other did not. So do you pull one of them back so they could play together (which they and the dad preferred), or try to convince the coach to push the other one up?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

That's a tough one. Well. At least I never had this problem;

Never had an ounce of talent for any sport ... Wink ... Sad

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:That's a tough one. Well. At least I never had this problem;

Never had an ounce of talent for any sport ... Wink ... Sad

Talent is often secondary. I'll never forget that one time I went to the Forum -- don't remember how, but got really good seats (how good? I looked up, and Jean Beliveau was sitting about 5 rows *behind* us). During the warm up I saw Chris Nilan doing the russian splits on the ice. His "Knuckles" may have been his claim to fame, but it wasn't just his fighting that kept him around the league all those years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum