GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby?

+10
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
Riprock
Ev
The Silfer Server
wprager
Amnesia021
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby?

August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? Vote_lcap238%August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? Vote_rcap2 38% [ 3 ]
August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? Vote_lcap262%August Question #6: .930 goalie or Sidney Crosby? Vote_rcap2 62% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Easy question...the guy that stops 93 of 100 shots or Crosby who'll perennially be competing for the Hart, scoring title etc.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Crosby. Either way, you have to have a good supporting cast for championships to be won. But, I believe it's easier to implement a system or add defensive pieces to protect the goalie than it is to find a superstar forward.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:Crosby. Either way, you have to have a good supporting cast for championships to be won. But, I believe it's easier to implement a system or add defensive pieces to protect the goalie than it is to find a superstar forward.

+1 Crosby any day of the week. Goalies and defensemen seem to be the easier positions to come by these days, there's only 1 Crosby.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

Great question!

Tough decision... If my math is correct, the Sens had a Sv% of .903 last year and a GAA of 2.76.

If they would have had a .930 goalie, their GAA would have been 1.99. Is Crosby worth the difference?

I say yes, give me a crosby, getzlaf, spezza, etc, any day.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Theoretically though, there would only be one guy with a +.930 save % - Rask at .931, but that was only in 45 games, the next closest is Vokoun at .925 and Miller at .929 (both in 60+ games).

So you'd have the only starting goalie in the league with a +.930 save % - it's hard to pass up on that.

On the other hand, Crosby led a team to a Cup with a hack in nets, so I see the flip side as well.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

But .930 versus what? And Crosby versus whom?

Let's put some faceless numbers there. Let's say you have a .900 goalie and upgrade to a .930 one. That's 3 fewer goals for every 100 shots. Let's further assume 27 shots per game over an 82 game schedule, that works out to 66.42 fewer goals scored.

Now, Crosby is not going to score 66 goals, but we are looking at increased production (and improved defense) overall. So, do you think that replacing, say, Fisher with Crosby will give you a net difference of 66 goals?

Personally, I don't think so.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Theoretically though, there would only be one guy with a +.930 save % - Rask at .931, but that was only in 45 games, the next closest is Vokoun at .925 and Miller at .929 (both in 60+ games).

So you'd have the only starting goalie in the league with a +.930 save % - it's hard to pass up on that.

On the other hand, Crosby led a team to a Cup with a hack in nets, so I see the flip side as well.

A number 1 overall drafted hack. You may not think he was worth a 1st overall pick, but he's not a hack either.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

.930 vs 120 points, 50 goals and 70 assists.

I'd take the goalie personally. I can get a Tier 2 center/wingers like Spezza etc. and then feel 100% comfortable that my goalie will make the stops for me.

I wouldn't suck the wind out of my offense like Buffalo that's for sure, but I could live without Crosby with a guy stopping everything for me.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
A number 1 overall drafted hack. You may not think he was worth a 1st overall pick, but he's not a hack either.

Big deal. I thought he was over-hyped then, I think he's no better than average now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:.930 vs 120 points, 50 goals and 70 assists.

I'd take the goalie personally. I can get a Tier 2 center/wingers like Spezza etc. and then feel 100% comfortable that my goalie will make the stops for me.

I wouldn't suck the wind out of my offense like Buffalo that's for sure, but I could live without Crosby with a guy stopping everything for me.

If it's Crosby (120 points) versus Spezza (let's say 90), then the difference is 36 in favor of the hot goalie. Spezza's defense is not as good as Corsby's, but not to the tune of 36 goals against.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
If it's Crosby (120 points) versus Spezza (let's say 90), then the difference is 36 in favor of the hot goalie. Spezza's defense is not as good as Corsby's, but not to the tune of 36 goals against.

Yeah, that's how I would look at it too.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:Theoretically though, there would only be one guy with a +.930 save % - Rask at .931, but that was only in 45 games, the next closest is Vokoun at .925 and Miller at .929 (both in 60+ games).

What team did Crosby lead to a Cup? Malkin did finish with more points, more GWGs, and the Conn Smythe.

Personally I go with a goalie. There are very few elite goaltenders in this league, and if you build your team correctly around one, you will have a perennial cup contender.

Besides, even the top goalies in the league are paid around 2.5M per year less than Crosby, you should still be able to afford some talent up front.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Fleury a hack? He was awesome in the Stanley Cup Finals for them and he is a very good athletic goaltender. The Penguins don't win the Cup if John Curry or Mathieu Garon was in nets. Fleury is not in the category of Miller, Luongo, or lundqvist but he is still very talented and his resume is pretty damn good for a guy his age.

As for the question, no doubt it's Sidney Crosby. Buffalo would be a much better team if they had Crosby instead of Miller (with Enroth replacing him in nets). You don't need to have a .930 goaltender to win these days.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:
What team did Crosby lead to a Cup? Malkin did finish with more points, more GWGs, and the Conn Smythe.

Personally I go with a goalie. There are very few elite goaltenders in this league, and if you build your team correctly around one, you will have a perennial cup contender.

Besides, even the top goalies in the league are paid around 2.5M per year less than Crosby, you should still be able to afford some talent up front.

Crosby, Malkin - either or really. Both have been spectacular for the Pens.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Fleury a hack? He was awesome in the Stanley Cup Finals for them and he is a very good athletic goaltender. The Penguins don't win the Cup if John Curry or Mathieu Garon was in nets. Fleury is not in the category of Miller, Luongo, or lundqvist but he is still very talented and his resume is pretty damn good for a guy his age.

As for the question, no doubt it's Sidney Crosby. Buffalo would be a much better team if they had Crosby instead of Miller (with Enroth replacing him in nets). You don't need to have a .930 goaltender to win these days.

Take 90% of the starters in the NHL and plunk them into net for the Pens - and they win. John Curry? Garon? Those are 5th string goaltenders, I'm talking more about the starters out there. Fleury is (I'm being REALLY nice here) middle of the pack.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum