GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » Metropolitan » Philadelphia Flyers » Flyers Riley Cote retires

Flyers Riley Cote retires

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=330032

Very shocking for a 28-year old to retire. Will take a coaching join in the AHL with the Adirondack Phantoms.

2Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
This is a great day for the Flyers.

3Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Balance of power shifted?

4Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:19 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
Holy Dung, I thought this kid was a rookie...weird.

5Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:21 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
WOW! A whole 7 points in 4 years...how did he even make it to the NHL to begin with? MacGrattan type I'm assuming?

6Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Yeah he was a pure enforcer, but still kind of shocking. Obviously there was no room in the NHL for a guy like that, so he decided to hang it up for a more regular job. Wonder is he has any head injuries that might have caused him to reconsider playing?

7Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
I wonder if the Flyers getting Carcillo via trade 2 years ago, then Laperriere via free agency last year, and especially Jody Shelley this offseason, pushed him to realizing he wasn't going to make the big team anytime soon, and thus decided to retire.

8Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:43 pm

pegsensfan

Prospect
Prospect
hes from winnipeg i knew a few guys who played with him when he was younger.....scored quite a bit back in those days, kind of got forced into the fighting roll and it Cussed his hands up....was kind of ruined ever since.

9Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
That's too bad, I was thinking there had to be some health issue. I don't like seeing guys career's end for any reason at that age. You put in so much time, effort and money to make it so far and it gets cut short. Good to see him get a job out of it though.

10Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:43 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:Balance of power shifted?

I wouldn't go that far.

11Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:14 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Dash wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=330032

Very shocking for a 28-year old to retire. Will take a coaching join in the AHL with the Adirondack Phantoms.

What is shocking about it?

Roughly 10 years ago the normal retirement age from the NHL was 27. Players now, have the added benifit of more strength and nutrition coaches at an early age and seem to take better care of themselves which can lead to longer careers. In saying that, the avarage retirement age in 2010 is 28 years old.

There is nothing shocking about this to me. Only reasons we heard about this were because it was a slow news day and he took another job within the organization.

This is very common and the average retirement age shows this. For every 35 year old that hangs them up from the NHL, so does a 21 year old. From the Patrick Stefan's of the world; to Max Afinogenov; to Stefan Legein; Brett Lindros; Bobby Orr; Cam Neely; to Riley Cote. These are players that retire before fans would have expected.

The NHL, the best league in the world takes it toll on you. It wears you down getting there, and once your there, you have to work twice as hard to stay there.

Just my thoughts, but I wanted to share. I could probably go on forever about this topic, but mark me down for not being surprised one bit by this announcement, I never am.

12Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Fair enough. Legein unretired anyways, who really knows what that was all about.

13Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:46 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Dash wrote:Fair enough. Legein unretired anyways, who really knows what that was all about.

I agree. My guess would be the mental grind/pressure combined with the physical injuries he sustained as well.

This is all too common, but you never here about the 5th and 6th rounders that retire after one year or signing their first contract.

14Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
There are some guys that might "retire" because they are finding themselves out of an NHL job, I guess like Cote. So instead of the alternative of finding a team to play for elsewhere, they hang them up. If you have family in Canada/US, of course you'd want to stay.

I know a few guys that were forced into retirement after junior or after being drafted, due to injury, so there's lots of reasons.

15Flyers Riley Cote retires Empty Re: Flyers Riley Cote retires on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Dash wrote:There are some guys that might "retire" because they are finding themselves out of an NHL job, I guess like Cote. So instead of the alternative of finding a team to play for elsewhere, they hang them up. If you have family in Canada/US, of course you'd want to stay.

I know a few guys that were forced into retirement after junior or after being drafted, due to injury, so there's lots of reasons.

That's exactly what this is. He might be banged up, he might find it hard to keep going, or he might just realize that good players are going to be forced out of the NHL with this salary cap. Heck, I can't think of one team who doesn't have a Riley Cote in their system somewhere.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum