GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco

+11
Ev
cash
Hoags
Flo The Action
shabbs
wprager
stempniaksen
PTFlea
Straight Shooter
Riprock
M_Christopher
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:56 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

They have 4 top-six players. That's it. Any significant injury and they are fighting to get in 5-8. Although I cannot argue with walking away from paying $2.75M to a guy with 42 regular season game, I also cannot argue about somehow -- anyway possible -- moving Campbell and Huet. Bottom line, they snookered themselves but they *did* get a Cup out of the deal. If it does happen, they won't be the first SC Champs to struggle to make the playoffs or miss them entirely.

17Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:38 pm

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

When you say that a significant injury in the top-six will leave a team fighting you are completely right, but the same can be said for any team. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 6 'legitimate' top-six players.

If Spezza or Alfredsson get hurt the Sens will be in a world of hurt as well, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the BHawks. I think because they used to be so deep that people are underestimating the players they have in those spots now.

18Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:14 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:When you say that a significant injury in the top-six will leave a team fighting you are completely right, but the same can be said for any team. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 6 'legitimate' top-six players.

If Spezza or Alfredsson get hurt the Sens will be in a world of hurt as well, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the BHawks. I think because they used to be so deep that people are underestimating the players they have in those spots now.

I agree, I think they'll make the top 5 in the West, I just think they'll be soundly beaten in the playoffs this time. No disrespect intended to the great Toews, Kane, Sharp ( I love you ), Hossa, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Turco (blah), but I think there are deeper teams. Vancouver comes to mind immediately as a team that I can see taking their revenge on the Hawks.

19Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Man... that is pretty sad. Rookie goaltender takes them to the CUP, wins them the CUP and then they walk away. Cap madness bit them in the ass big time... where is Niemi gonna land?

20Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

stempniaksen wrote:When you say that a significant injury in the top-six will leave a team fighting you are completely right, but the same can be said for any team. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 6 'legitimate' top-six players.

You didn't get the first part I wrote -- they have *four* top-six players, which means that 2 rookies or 3rd/4th liners are being asked to play top-two-line minutes. They are already starting out in bad shape.

And as far as I am concerned the Sens had *two* top-six players out of the lineup and, if not for a bit of US-biased reffing and pretty close to rookies in the two most important positions (goal and behind the bench) we could have taken out the defending Cup champs.

21Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Man... that is pretty sad. Rookie goaltender takes them to the CUP, wins them the CUP and then they walk away. Cap madness bit them in the ass big time... where is Niemi gonna land?

But, on the other hand, paying $2.75M to a guy with 42 regular season games is insanity, too. Arbitration is such a crap-shoot that I cannot fathom why the NHL didn't abolish it in the last CBA.

22Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Man... that is pretty sad. Rookie goaltender takes them to the CUP, wins them the CUP and then they walk away. Cap madness bit them in the ass big time... where is Niemi gonna land?
same dog that bit the habs in the Donkey.

23Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:

I don't buy into that, the Habs made a conscious decision to go with Price over Halak. They could have done it the other way around with no problems whatsoever.

24Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I don't buy into that, the Habs made a conscious decision to go with Price over Halak. They could have done it the other way around with no problems whatsoever.
they had to choose that's for sure. one of them had to go. they might have let go the best candidate. they let the one go that got the best return(even if it was a weak one)

25Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:18 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:

You didn't get the first part I wrote -- they have *four* top-six players, which means that 2 rookies or 3rd/4th liners are being asked to play top-two-line minutes. They are already starting out in bad shape.

And as far as I am concerned the Sens had *two* top-six players out of the lineup and, if not for a bit of US-biased reffing and pretty close to rookies in the two most important positions (goal and behind the bench) we could have taken out the defending Cup champs.

I fully undertand what you mean, but my point is that you'd be hard pressed to find an NHL team with *six* top-six players, because with the cap some spots will always be filled by youngsters on cheap contracts.

If you argue that the Hawks only have *four* top-six players then the same can be said for Ottawa, and with a worse defence and somewhat comparable goaltending, where does that leave us?

I'm not trying to bring down the Sens because I think we have a talented team and I'm excited about next year, just trying to keep things in perspective and make people realize that Chicago is still a force to be reconned with and to not underestimate the young guys. I'm high on Brouwer, Stalberg and Skille though, so I could be the one overvaluing.

26Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:20 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
shabbs wrote:Man... that is pretty sad. Rookie goaltender takes them to the CUP, wins them the CUP and then they walk away. Cap madness bit them in the Donkey big time... where is Niemi gonna land?

they had to choose that's for sure. one of them had to go. they might have let go the best candidate. they let the one go that got the best return(even if it was a weak one)

I think people will be biting their tongues a bit if Eller develops properly. This guy is like Regin but with more potential and could be a solid 2way player with 70 point upside, not a bad return at all for a goalie (who typically have extremely low value). Granted he needs to grow into that player because he's obviously not there yet.

27Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Halak had a great season and Price a bad one, but that still doesn't change the fact that Price has better potential in the long run. So they let someone else overpay for Halak and are placing a small bet on Price recovering his form.

28Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

stempniaksen wrote:
wprager wrote:

I fully undertand what you mean, but my point is that you'd be hard pressed to find an NHL team with *six* top-six players, because with the cap some spots will always be filled by youngsters on cheap contracts.

If you argue that the Hawks only have *four* top-six players then the same can be said for Ottawa, and with a worse defence and somewhat comparable goaltending, where does that leave us?

I'm not trying to bring down the Sens because I think we have a talented team and I'm excited about next year, just trying to keep things in perspective and make people realize that Chicago is still a force to be reconned with and to not underestimate the young guys. I'm high on Brouwer, Stalberg and Skille though, so I could be the one overvaluing.

Fair enough, although Alfredsson, Spezza, Kovalev, Michalek and Fisher makes 5, not 4. So we have Foligno and Regin fighting it out for a top-six role -- neither of them is a rookie.

We'll see what happens to the 'Hawks. I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I certainly would not bet on them finishing top-four in the West.

29Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:36 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Halak had a great season and Price a bad one, but that still doesn't change the fact that Price has better potential in the long run. So they let someone else overpay for Halak and are placing a small bet on Price recovering his form.

People keep saying that like it's the defense mechanism kicking in. Halak's been damn good for a few years now and is just rounding into his prime. Not only is he good, but now he's tested in high pressure situations and he's still good.

30Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:
wprager wrote:

Fair enough, although Alfredsson, Spezza, Kovalev, Michalek and Fisher makes 5, not 4. So we have Foligno and Regin fighting it out for a top-six role -- neither of them is a rookie.

We'll see what happens to the 'Hawks. I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I certainly would not bet on them finishing top-four in the West.

I left Fisher out because you left Bolland out who has a career high darn close to Fisher's. But that's a completely different debate about the value of those guys, and Fisher has done it more consistently so give him that much credit.

And I think that it'll come down to Brouwer and Stalberg in the top-six, neither of which is a rookie either. That's just pure speculation on my part though so no proof to back that one up, haha.

Looking over the West I have a hard time finding teams that will be better than the Hawks next year simply because I don't think anyone (other than the Nucks) have improved a whole lot. San Jose got worse on defence and in nets with the loss of Blake and Nabby while Phoenix lost Lombardi. Detroit will be a threat but Lindstrom isn't getting any younger, and Los Angeles didn't really do anything to improve.

should be interesting to see what happens in the West, because IMO none of the top teams improved (kinda why I still have Chicago in the top-three).

31Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NHLSourcesSay tweets that Niemi is seriously thinking about the KHL. Funny, I was thinking the same thing recently.

32Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Niemi remains unsigned... what a tragedy.

33Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 2 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Niemi remains unsigned... what a tragedy.

It's the new NHL commandment.

"Thou shalt not pay top dollar for a goaltender"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum