GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Sun tries to defend itself

+7
PKC
beerandsens
SensHulk
Hoags
stempniaksen
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1The Sun tries to defend itself Empty The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddling morons, try to think before you type. Facepalm

http://blogs.canoe.ca/timsbits/general/i-repeat-we-are-not-anti-spezza/

I repeat … we are not anti-Spezza
tim.baines - June 25th, 2010

So, it appears pretty overwhelming here. We are the bad guys for writing that Jason Spezza told Bryan Murray that he wouldn’t “object” to a trade. We are the bad guys for writing that he had a $4-million bonus coming July 1. We are the bad guys for suggesting that the Senators trade him.
We are the bad guys because an overwhelming number of people in this city, when polled, suggested that the Senators should trade their star centre.
And, many have said, Don Brennan is an idiot because he suggested the Senators should trade Spezza if they can get fair value. Brennan actually disputed what he considers an unfair label about Spezza’s defensive liabilities.
Personally, I don’t think they should trade Spezza. He’s a marquee player on a team that has too few of them. But, and call his sensationalism on my part if you want, be assured the the Senators GM is, yes IS, trying to trade him.
The Ottawa Sun’s reporters are being blamed for breaking Spezza stories. Does it not seem curious to anyone why Bryan Murray would mention his conversation with Spezza in the first place. Do you think that ruffles the feathers of the team’s best player?
One blogger suggests the Senators should rid themselves of the real problem, Daniel Alfredsson. Geez, you rip on us for creating a problem with Spezza, then you try and trade the Senators’ captain, a guy who’s poured his heart and soul into the franchise?
And the Dany Heatley criticism persists? The guy freakin’ wanted out of town. He asked for a trade. Didn’t want to be in Ottawa. Was that the media’s fault. He made a lot of money here. We had no gripe with him until he gave Ottawa the middle finger and said he wanted out. Was that our fault?
I find it funny that, on one hand, we are criticized for being too home-teamish. And on the other, we’re over-the-top anti-Senators.
We make decisions every day on which stories will be played up. Which stories merit space in the paper. You think the guys are making stories up. Unlike some local hacks who live in their mothers’ basements and throw enough crap out there until some of it sticks, our guys have sources — GMs, scouts, management-types.
Sure, we run rumours in our paper. It would be safe to say that somewhere upwards of 99% of trades that are discussed in NHL circles never happen. So does that make it wrong that we report some of the deals that are at the discussion level? And are we wrong for reporting that Peter Regin’s agent suggested that his player could earn a Tomas Vanek-like contract? The notion he’ll get that kind of money is ludicrous. But the fact his agent said it is newsworthy.
It’s great that fans are so passionate about the Senators. They just have to be open-minded enough to hear the good and the bad.

2The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:17 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Sun tries to defend itself 62136

3The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:27 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

The Sun is a joke on every level.

It's like a gossip magazine for Sens fans.

And this is just a personal gripe, but I wish they would stop calling the $4 million dollars owed on July 1st a 'bonus'. It's not any extra money going Spezza's way, it's just an advancement on the $7 million owed.

Not a huge deal, but pet peeve of mine.

4The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:30 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:The Sun is a joke on every level.

And this is just a personal gripe, but I wish they would stop calling the $4 million dollars owed on July 1st a 'bonus'. It's not any extra money going Spezza's way, it's just an advancement on the $7 million owed.

No, it is a big deal. It's not a bonus. Pretty simple.

5The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:32 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah okay, it's a big deal.

Especially in an article where the sun is trying to prove that they are 'telling the truth' and to believe what they write.

6The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

They should've just said "We'll write whatever crap we want in order to sell papers"

7The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

stempniaksen wrote:Yeah okay, it's a big deal.

Especially in an article where the sun is trying to prove that they are 'telling the truth' and to believe what they write.

Exactly. Their manipulation of the facts is designed to piss people off. They kept mentioning Corvo's HUGE 2.625m contract in every article when they were running him out of town.

Now this "bonus" business. Desired reaction: "This bum is already making a fortune and he's getting a BONUS on top of that?"

8The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Someone put that they should come over here and argue it out. Sarcasm

9The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

LMAO! I wonder if they would have posted this if spezza did get traded....stick it up your arse sun writers! The Sun tries to defend itself 504703

10The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Someone put that they should come over here and argue it out. The Sun tries to defend itself 159628

davetherave would have invited us to direct our comments to the author and posted his email address. The Sun tries to defend itself 159628

11The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This was gleaned from the so-called "internet":

You can hide here or in a newspaper, but bring it to a public forum where the actual knowledgeable fans are and 99% of the Sun sports writers would be destroyed.

12The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

stempniaksen wrote:The Sun is a joke on every level.

Your "personal gripe" is exceptionally subtle compared to the steaming pile of personal gripe the Sun has layed on its readers this morning. How unsurprisingly unprofessional The Sun tries to defend itself 28774

13The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:This was gleaned from the so-called "internet":

You can hide here or in a newspaper, but bring it to a public forum where the actual knowledgeable fans are and 99% of the Sun sports writers would be destroyed.

That was me. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

14The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:45 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:

That was me. The Sun tries to defend itself 235689 The Sun tries to defend itself 805406

I know. That's why it's so funny. Specially the part about destroying Sun sports "writers". The Sun tries to defend itself 270956

15The Sun tries to defend itself Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:

That was me. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

That is hilarious

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum