GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky

+16
wprager
The Silfer Server
asq2
SensGal
Ev
Hobiesens
PKC
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
SensHulk
SensGirl11
Number Twenty Nine
SeawaySensFan
Bramlet07
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

61Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 pm

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

Rooney's right.

Milan Mi-kal-ic
Zbynek Mi-hhal-ik

Weird that they would pronounce it differently, but Milan specified he wanted it a certain way, I wish I could find a source though.

62Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My dad and his brother pronounce our last name differently as well.

63Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:45 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:Thanks for clearing that up! I think I know what accent you are talking about. Like the accent over the C in the youtube video right?

In which case I'll stick to Mee-hhhhah-lehk.

Seriously, there's no question here. Michalek asked the media to pronounce his name "Mi-kall-ic" when he got here.

But there is a proper way, and an improper way. I have a last name that was shortened from another Irish last name, so it doesn't really seem to have any roots to anything. I also grew up in the French system, and they kept butchering my last name. But it didn't bother me that much, and I would let them pronounce it like that. Doesn't mean that's the proper way. I'd like to pronounce his name as closely to what it actually is as possible, regardless if he says it's ok to pronounce it wrongly.

64Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:32 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:Thanks for clearing that up! I think I know what accent you are talking about. Like the accent over the C in the youtube video right?

Seriously, there's no question here. Michalek asked the media to pronounce his name "Mi-kall-ic" when he got here.

But there is a proper way, and an improper way. I have a last name that was shortened from another Irish last name, so it doesn't really seem to have any roots to anything. I also grew up in the French system, and they kept butchering my last name. But it didn't bother me that much, and I would let them pronounce it like that. Doesn't mean that's the proper way. I'd like to pronounce his name as closely to what it actually is as possible, regardless if he says it's ok to pronounce it wrongly.

Pronunciation and stress patterns are determined by tradition and therefore totally arbitrary. Why do we say quixote (quix-ot-ic) and Quixote (key-hoe-tay)? There's an historical reason, for sure, but in the end, both words co-exist, non-sensically, side by side in English.

Language is prescriptive. How we use it determines what's 'right.' There's no essential truth to any language form.

Plus, listen to the video again. The stress falls on the hard K sound -- "Kall".

65Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:44 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Pronunciation and stress patterns are determined by tradition and therefore totally arbitrary. Why do we say quixote (quix-ot-ic) and Quixote (key-hoe-tay)? There's an historical reason, for sure, but in the end, both words co-exist, non-sensically, side by side in English.

Language is prescriptive. How we use it determines what's 'right.' There's no essential truth to any language form.

Plus, listen to the video again. The stress falls on the hard K sound -- "Kall".

Language is one thing, proper names is entirely different. Ergo, quixotic vs Quixote.

I feel as though he told the media to say Mee-kall-leck to make it easier on them, not because it's correct.

And I've listened to the video many times, and it sounds to me as though he is saying hhhalik, like in Chanukah, as though coming from the back of the throat.

66Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:46 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Definitely sounds like Mi-ca-lik to me, but it's late and I could be hearing what I wanna hear, haha.

67Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:39 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Language is one thing, proper names is entirely different. Ergo, quixotic vs Quixote.

I feel as though he told the media to say Mee-kall-leck to make it easier on them, not because it's correct.

And I've listened to the video many times, and it sounds to me as though he is saying hhhalik, like in Chanukah, as though coming from the back of the throat.

Dude, why can't you accept that Milan Mickalek knows how to pronounce "Milan Michalek" better than you or I do? Not much to debate here.

68Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

At least we don't have Varlamov on our team. You know how mnay times he's flip-flopped the pronuncation of his name (or the spelling of his name in general)?

69Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:44 pm

Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Dude, why can't you accept that Milan Mickalek knows how to pronounce "Milan Michalek" better than you or I do? Not much to debate here.

Dude, relax. Bass is saying he said he feels like Michalek asked to have it pronounced one way to make it easier on North American fans and media. Not because that way is correct though.

70Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:At least we don't have Varlamov on our team. You know how mnay times he's flip-flopped the pronuncation of his name (or the spelling of his name in general)?

Once, I believe.

71Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Way more than once. He's been Semin, Simeon, and now Semyon. and he came into the league as Var-lamov, but now it's Var-lah-mov.

72Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Way more than once. He's been Semin, Simeon, and now Semyon. and he came into the league as Var-lamov, but now it's Var-lah-mov.

His name has always been the same. The idiot announcers couldn't spend the 10 seconds it would have taken to learn how to pronounce his name (sure, "semen" is so much *funnier*, if you are 14 years old I suppose). The name Var`lamov (the ` is meant to indicate a stress on the 2nd syllable) is pronounced almost exactly like Kharlamov, which they couldn't learn to pronounce in over 35 years!

There are not many things I remember about the '72 Summit Series, but the one thing I do remember is how well the Russian announcers pronounced the names of the Canadian players. It's not a joke to say that they did a better job of saying "Cournoyer" than Foster Hewitt.

Why? Because they instinctively knew the correct pronunciation? Hardly. They just gave a @^&! is all.

73Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Still, his first name has changed 3 times, like P. Diddy Smile

74Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:55 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Straight Shooter wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Dude, relax. Bass is saying he said he feels like Michalek asked to have it pronounced one way to make it easier on North American fans and media. Not because that way is correct though.

Yeah, people hold press conferences to make sure people collectively mispronounce their names. Sounds right to me! ThumbsUp

75Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Still, his first name has changed 3 times, like P. Diddy Smile

I only remember one change -- from Simeon to Semyon. Wikipedia confirms it (although other sources used other variations in spelling, he only officially changed his name once).

76Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:11 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
Straight Shooter wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Yeah, people hold press conferences to make sure people collectively mispronounce their names. Sounds right to me! ThumbsUp

Why would his brother ask to pronounce it in a different way though? Not saying that either of you is right, just wondering why the difference.

77Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
Straight Shooter wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Rooney, I often correct people who pronounce my name making it sound French (think Praget). I tell them to pronounce like like "prayer" but with a hard-g in the middle, so something like Pray-gher. But that's not how the name was actually pronounced back in Russia.

78Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky - Page 5 Empty Re: Peter Regin - Denmark's Gretzky Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
Straight Shooter wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

What are you even talking about? I'm searching for the proper pronunciation to his last name. That is important to me, to know I'm pronouncing people's names properly. If it isn't to you, that's fine. You want to believe what you want to believe, I'll believe what I want to believe. It just so happens I believe when he went to the announcers to tell them how to pronounce his name, since they couldn't get it, he went with the hard c. You believe he told the announcers to pronounce his name with the hard c because that's how he pronounces it. That's fine. You don't have to be a dick about it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum