GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST

+25
Phoenix30
Flo The Action
SensGal
CockRoche
M_Christopher
beerandsens
SensGirl11
dennycrane
Bramlet07
Cap'n Clutch
smash88
PTFlea
LethalLehner
TheAvatar
sens4win
asq2
shabbs
Ev
SDH89
PKC
Number Twenty Nine
LeCaptain
caissie_1
Riprock
wprager
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

Pittsburgh @ Ottawa April 18, 2010

GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_lcap20%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_lcap233%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 3 ]
GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_lcap233%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 3 ]
GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_lcap20%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 30 of 30]

On that winning goal in game 2 though, cant really put that on Spezza, he contained Crosby there. The Sens D has been awful in this series in terms of clearing the crease and making the forwards pay a price. The first goal though, Diddle, Spezza might as well have just sat down on the ice, he would have looked better.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Spezza seems to suffer the same problem as Thornton, either unable or unwilling to step up their game in the post season. I think he's trying too hard if anything but he's going about it the wrong way.

Fancy drop passes and trying to go through 2-3 Pens defenders may be OK in meaningless regular season games but that won't fly in the post season.

He landed a good hit on Crosby in Game 1, I thought he's finally getting it.

Hoags wrote:Spezza seems to suffer the same problem as Thornton, either unable or unwilling to step up their game in the post season. I think he's trying too hard if anything but he's going about it the wrong way.

Fancy drop passes and trying to go through 2-3 Pens defenders may be OK in meaningless regular season games but that won't fly in the post season.

He landed a good hit on Crosby in Game 1, I thought he's finally getting it.

I gave up on him last nigth when he bailed on the chance to smoke Crosby after he hammered Alfi. That should be enough for most people to through up their hands and say "the guy doesnt get it".

Is it his game to go out and hit people? No it isnt. Is it Crosby's, nope, but he does what he needs to win. Alfi went out there and hammered a knee into Orpik, dont care if it's dirty or not, he tried doing SOMETHING. The message coming from Spezza? "I need someone to pick me up, I can't do it".

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Weren't you praising him for laying out Leopold?

One good play in 3 playoff games? Not good enough by a wide margin.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:

Crosby laid out Alfi and Spezza has the exact same chance to do the same, what does he do? Stick check. That's all you gotta know about Spezza, thats who he is and that isnt changing.

You wanna tell Clouston that? He's got last change, why is Spezza out there against Crosby? I would *love* for 6'3" Spezza to play his size, but that's just not the player he is. If I was GM, I would not have given him $7M for exactly that reason. I would prefer Stone-Hands Kelly check Crosby -- he can do the job with the same (if not better) outcome; and that would free up Spezza to try and do what he does best, which is play offense.

N4L wrote:People will say Alfi was hated for years for not producing, well he had to learn it by himself, he never had the supporting cast Spezza has had for years. If this team is going to be lead by Spezza at any point in time, those will be years that will have to be quiclly forgotten.

Alfi despite not playing his best is still do other things that the team can look at and go "wow, look at what he's doing, I gotta get in there and do my part too and do something Im not normally asked to do". You watch Spezza and guys say "WTF is he doing?". He shy's away from any kind of physical pressure on himself, he doesnt go outside his comfort zone, and like it or not, he is being out played in such a large way by Crosby he shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as the true number 1 centers in The NHL.

He actually had a few hits, finished his checks. I saw the first two periods (and FFWd through the third) and Spezza played harder than Alfie. The only fire Alfie showed was when he tried to test the density of Orpik's kidneys.

N4L wrote:
He isnt the reason why The Sens are down in this series, but he is a huge problem and as much as people want to believe he has turned the corner, he's still on the same old street looking at a map of what corner he actually has to turn down. The guy doesnt get it. If he played with 1/2 the determination of Alfi or Crosby, he would be a star.

Just see the point above. I just haven't felt it from Alfie the entire playoffs. He was invisible in games 1 and 2, and started to come into focus a bit in game 3. I love Alfie, but this has not been his best playoffs.

Spezza threw a few hits on the forcheck, big deal, where were the hits in the defensive end? Where are those hits that turn the tide of the game? Crosby throws em, Datsyuk throws em, Malkin, E. Staal, Lecalivier, Zetterberg, you name a number 1 center with a cup ring in the last 10 years and you will see them play physically and do things they are not "out there to do".

People want to blame Clouston for Spezza just not being good enough? Who do you want him out there against? Staal? That guy doesnt make a mistake on the other side of the puck and will shut him down. Malkin? Maybe that's the guy to put Spezza out against but last time I checked he's accomplished more in 3 years in the league then Spezza has his entire career. Malkin will out play Spezza, period. Crosby... well, you've seen it all thus far, it's not even fair.

You can put who ever you want on Crosby, better players have tried and it's the exact same results. The only way you beat The Pens is by being more physical then they are are getting in on the forcheck and forcing their D to play in their own zone, short of that, it wont be happening for The Sens. Spezza better start doing this he isnt "paid to do" because winners to the things needed to win, not what they are paid to do.

As for Alfi, he's 37 years old and getting run by The Pens and he is still going back at them... someone else might want to take notice of this besides Ruutu/Kelly/Neil along with Regin.

PS WTF is Shannon doing in the lineup, everyone and their dead dogs saw how useless he is on that 4th line except Clouston... he better stop playing favorites at this point because it might have cost him a game or two.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
PS WTF is Shannon doing in the lineup, everyone and their dead dogs saw how useless he is on that 4th line except Clouston... he better stop playing favorites at this point because it might have cost him a game or two.

Laughing3 and their dead dogs.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:

You can put who ever you want on Crosby, better players have tried and it's the exact same results. The only way you beat The Pens is by being more physical then they are are getting in on the forcheck and forcing their D to play in their own zone, short of that, it wont be happening for The Sens. Spezza better start doing this he isnt "paid to do" because winners to the things needed to win, not what they are paid to do.

Post of the thread. Not just Spezza, the entire team has to do that as well.

And Clouston's love for Shannon is really getting exasperating. We're getting outhit and outworked and he puts a 5'9 shrimp in on the 4th line with Winnie and Smith ? Facepalm

The Pens replaced Fedotenko with Rupp and that sent the right message and got them results.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
N4L wrote:

And Clouston's love for Shannon is really getting exasperating. We're getting outhit and outworked and he puts a 5'9 shrimp in on the 4th line with Winnie and Smith ? GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 489887

The Pens replaced Fedotenko with Rupp and that sent the right message and got them results.

I was never a big Shannon supporter, even when he apparently was "great" on the flash-in-the-pan "FFS" line... And I have long thought Donovan was getting the shaft. It was a disappointment to me to see him re-signed and yet another head-scratcher to see him in the lineup when Donovan and even Cheechoo are available.

If Donovan or Cheechoo was on that 4th line yesterday they would have had a goal. Smith and Winchester have both been great and Shannon was just along for the ride.

The 4th line is actually a lot more important then people believe in the playoffs, including Clouston. Talbot was the frigging hero in game 7 last year, Rupp was a hero in the same situation... who do we have? Ryan Shannon... Clouston is getting out coached in a big way right now.

As for Spezza and The Sens. It's on the entire team for sure, but just like a bad first goal from Elliott, the constant turn overs in bad area's, the selfish plays, the bailing on hits is a shot in the gut to the team as well, all of which Spezza has done thus far. If you're 7 million dollar player cant be a leader, he shouldnt be on your team. People trash Heatley and rightfully so for just being a passenger, well, Spezza isnt much better.

If things continue to go the way they are with Spezza, they better cut bait before the draft because he is going to bring that entire ship down with him.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
N4L wrote:

And Clouston's love for Shannon is really getting exasperating. We're getting outhit and outworked and he puts a 5'9 shrimp in on the 4th line with Winnie and Smith ? GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 30 489887

I was never a big Shannon supporter, even when he apparently was "great" on the flash-in-the-pan "FFS" line... And I have long thought Donovan was getting the shaft. It was a disappointment to me to see him re-signed and yet another head-scratcher to see him in the lineup when Donovan and even Cheechoo are available.

That's a guy that could be picked up on waivers no problem or sent down without a 2nd thought. Him having a 1 way deal is anything but a garentee he will be in Ottawa next year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not a huge fan of Shannon on the 4th line at all either. Just dress Cheechoo or Donovan and stop being so stubborn CC.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 30 of 30]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum