GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bettman blocked trade of Vinny? TB still interested in moving him?

+5
PKC
SDH89
M_Christopher
dennycrane
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

M_Christopher

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
Hey thats just plain mean Bettman blocked trade of Vinny?  TB still interested in moving him? - Page 2 270956 Nash is the greatest Canadian-ever, he is a national treasure!

No, I was wondering why you put Nash there all of a sudden. Figured you to be a Sens avatar kinda guy. The NPH on a unicorn was cute, but Rick Nash?

Oh, I couldn't find a pic to use.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

Wrist surgery this past April.

That contract is an albatross. You hope he retires before the end of it.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

M_Christopher wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
Hey thats just plain mean Bettman blocked trade of Vinny?  TB still interested in moving him? - Page 2 270956 Nash is the greatest Canadian-ever, he is a national treasure!

No, I was wondering why you put Nash there all of a sudden. Figured you to be a Sens avatar kinda guy. The NPH on a unicorn was cute, but Rick Nash?

:crossarms:

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
M_Christopher wrote:

:crossarms:

Better?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, that suits you better.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.crashthecrease.com/2010/02/01/bettman-nixed-lecavalier-to-montreal-deal-in-june/

News to me to be honest. I didn't realize that it was fact that a trade got blocked, nor did I realized Vinny was OFFICIALLY on the market. Maybe it has something to do with the fools that keep making proposals everywhere, I mistook that for an actual rumour.

So..is he leaving TB? Hmmm... Ahhhhh!

I posted that story in another thread 3 days ago.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

That's my link, from the HockeyNews:

http://www.gmhockey.com/general-hockey-talk-f49/general-hockey-talk-injuries-signings-factoids-other-news-from-around-the-league-t3927-720.htm#146745

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

On what grounds would that Dirtbag, Bettman, block the trade?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:On what grounds would that Dirtbag, Bettman, block the trade?

My understanding was the two feuding owners of the Lightning didn't agree on the trade.

One wanted to trade Vinny, one didn't. I think both of them have to agree for things to work out.

I haven't seen any mention of Vinny waiving his NTC either, so it's possible he would've shot it down in the end anyway.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:On what grounds would that Dirtbag, Bettman, block the trade?

My understanding was the two feuding owners of the Lightning didn't agree on the trade.

One wanted to trade Vinny, one didn't. I think both of them have to agree for things to work out.

I haven't seen any mention of Vinny waiving his NTC either, so it's possible he would've shot it down in the end anyway.

He should really try to have more deep-pocketed sole owners in the league. Bettman blocked trade of Vinny?  TB still interested in moving him? - Page 2 159628

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Jeffrey Vinik is offering apparently close to purchasing the Lightning from Koules and Barrie, who had a chance to buy the other out but did not.

Once ownership issues are settled, then trades can happen.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:

Lecavalier still has an NTC and a contract that few teams in the league could afford.

If they really want to move him, it's not going to be easy at all.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:Jeffrey Vinik is offering apparently close to purchasing the Lightning from Koules and Barrie, who had a chance to buy the other out but did not.

Or not...

According to the Hockey News article, Vinik was "hand picked" by Bettman. How long before the indictments?

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Vinny being on the trade block is speculation from what I've heard and here is the gist of the story.

We all know the Tampa Owners have had a fight and as a result they have basically split. Barrie and Koules still technically both own the team, but Bettman has been working on a deal to have the team and all assets sold to Vinik. (no not the Vinik from "The West Wing").

Anyway Vinik (reported wealth of 515 million) is a partial owner of the Red Sox and has made some if not most of his money in real estate flipping properties. From what I'm told, a big part of Vinik's interests is around the 5 acres of lang adjacent to the arena down town.

I believe it was last week on Team1200's Healthy Scratches, it was mentioned that it was Vinik who would want to trade Vinny, as he would want to clear salary to rebuild the team. It was also mentioned that Vinik would not be a permanent owner, but more of a stop gap to buy the team, help build it back up to a valued commodity and then sell it to someone who would want to keep it.

To me, the funny part of all this, is not that there are all these ownership issues around the league, but that the sale of the Lightning could happen in mere weeks, when Phoenix has been ongoing for a year now.

I guess much of that has to do with the lease agreement in Phoenix, and the fact that Tampa has a much more favorable agreement.

Last note, whispers are turning into much louder water cooler talk that Bettman is "losing the room" with regards to the owners. Many are tired that many southern teams are having issues with attendance, and Gary's ability to grow the game south of the border.

Last edited by Devo on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Dash wrote:Jeffrey Vinik is offering apparently close to purchasing the Lightning from Koules and Barrie, who had a chance to buy the other out but did not.

I've heard it was 30million less...that's quite a hit for those two "Cowboys" to take. Hope SAW VII brings in a lot of money.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Devo wrote:

I've heard it was 30million less...that's quite a hit for those two "Cowboys" to take. Hope SAW VII brings in a lot of money.

Looks about right. Bettman has no problems Diddling over existing owners and brokering discounts for his hand-picked buddies.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The league cannot stop a team from moving a player. A NTC can, but do you think that Vinny is going to stick around where he is not wanted? They could make him miserable if they wanted. Vinny to the Rangers with Kovalchuk.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:The league cannot stop a team from moving a player. A NTC can, but do you think that Vinny is going to stick around where he is not wanted? They could make him miserable if they wanted. Vinny to the Rangers with Kovalchuk.

Doesn't the NHL have to approve every trade ?

I thought it's a formality but I always thought they had the power, same with contracts.

Unless Bettman just called up the parties involved and discouraged them from the deal or something.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum