GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grier signs with Buffalo

+4
davetherave
Sens19
Flo The Action
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think this is exactly what the hockey world was waiting for. Watch the Heatley saga draw to a close now and the Tanguay signing fall into place...

17Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 am

shabbs wrote:End of the line for Peters?

I don't think Grier is a true heavyweight though. Peters still fills a need for Buffalo. It's same thing as Bass replacing Neil. Sure, Bass fights, but as far as enforcers go, he isn't in the same league.

18Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 am

wprager wrote:Grier is nearing the end of his career. The Sabres remember him from 4 years ago, but this will not be the same player. He turns 35 in January and he has definitely lost a step or two since he was last there in 2006. Playing on the "best" team in the NHL he managed to get 23 points in 63 games. And he was getting decent ice time at 15 minutes per game. This is nothing more than a depth signing and a little PR to bring back a hard working, fan favorite. But all that hard work and happy fans will translate into no more (and probably fewer than) 10 goals and 20 points -- at the espense of a guy like Matt Ellis riding the bench or the pressbox.

Way to poop all over this thread!

You're probably right though...I still like what he brings for a million or so.

19Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 am

wprager wrote:Grier is nearing the end of his career. The Sabres remember him from 4 years ago, but this will not be the same player. He turns 35 in January and he has definitely lost a step or two since he was last there in 2006. Playing on the "best" team in the NHL he managed to get 23 points in 63 games. And he was getting decent ice time at 15 minutes per game. This is nothing more than a depth signing and a little PR to bring back a hard working, fan favorite. But all that hard work and happy fans will translate into no more (and probably fewer than) 10 goals and 20 points -- at the espense of a guy like Matt Ellis riding the bench or the pressbox.

So, are you saying you aren't going to try and trade for him in the SIM league? Shrug

20Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:27 am

He's not in the sim league, so my money is on no.

21Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:37 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:

Honestly, I don't think this is thread crapping. It's not like the thread is "Grier back in Buffalo: what a great move by Darcy!" Sure, some people have expressed their opinion that this is a good move, and I think it's -- at best -- a sideways move. It will make Buffalo, perhaps, slightly better, but at the expense of one year less development of a young prospect, with that same year taken away from their pre-arbitration, pre-FA days (unless, of course, Grier plays so many games that said prospect doesn't get his 10 games in).

22Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Grier *wil* get his ice time, so if I *was* in the Sim league, I might try to dump a prospect or a marginal player who will not get as many minutes now.

23Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:39 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:

I don't think Grier is a true heavyweight though. Peters still fills a need for Buffalo. It's same thing as Bass replacing Neil. Sure, Bass fights, but as far as enforcers go, he isn't in the same league.
Peters is a UFA though...

24Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:01 am

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Honestly, I don't think this is thread crapping. It's not like the thread is "Grier back in Buffalo: what a great move by Darcy!" Sure, some people have expressed their opinion that this is a good move, and I think it's -- at best -- a sideways move. It will make Buffalo, perhaps, slightly better, but at the expense of one year less development of a young prospect, with that same year taken away from their pre-arbitration, pre-FA days (unless, of course, Grier plays so many games that said prospect doesn't get his 10 games in).

No no, I just mean that the general mood was positive, and you come along with your cold bucket of water.

I agree, it's not an earth shattering move, but when the Sabres are in the thick of the race late in the year, that's when Grier's worth will be seen.

25Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:01 am

shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Yeah, but I doubt he'll cost much to resign. It's not like he's got any talent other than fighting. Laughing3

26Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 am

shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Oh please...do not re-sign Peters. I will quit being the SIM league if I get stuck with Peters on my team. Can you say buyout? Facepalm

27Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:14 am

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:

I think it's -- at best -- a sideways move. It will make Buffalo, perhaps, slightly better, but at the expense of one year less development of a young prospect,

That's absolutely right! And that young prospects name that just got pushed out of the Top 13 is Nathan Gerbe.

28Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Yeah, but I doubt he'll cost much to resign. It's not like he's got any talent other than fighting. Laughing3

Was Peters the one who challenged Emery *after* Emery had just finished with Biron? I think that talent is a little tarnished.

29Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:01 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:

I would not be surprised if they didn't re-sign him... he made a lot of bad decisions costing the team and I think the fans were really getting annoyed with him.

We'll see...

30Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 pm

wprager wrote:
hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Was Peters the one who challenged Emery *after* Emery had just finished with Biron? I think that talent is a little tarnished.

I wouldn't even call it a challenge. He just grabbed Ray. It wasn't like Ray had a choice. Still, he looked to be enjoying himself.

31Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I see Grier's contract has a NMC!

HA HA!

What?

32Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I see Grier's contract has a NMC!

HA HA!

What?

How many years, two? Then it's not too bad. But still unnecessary, IMO.

33Grier signs with Buffalo - Page 2 Empty Re: Grier signs with Buffalo Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1.2 million, 1 year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum