GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biron to the Isles

+8
PKC
wprager
Tuk Tuk
PTFlea
rooneypoo
davetherave
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:06 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
At the very least, you would think this season is in question. As I said, fans are speculating that he may be done for good.

Oh, I didn't know that's what you meant. I thought your were guessing.

So they think he's done? So do I. Not a great scenario for the Isles. Wow...some insurance company just Dung their pants. :^^^^:

It could just as well be an overreaction or jumping to conclusions. Biron is only there for one year, after all.

17Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:21 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
It could just as well be an overreaction or jumping to conclusions. Biron is only there for one year, after all.

Yeah, possibly. I don't like the look of this scenario though. If Dipetro was going to be okay, they'd rely on Roloson and use someone as a backup, but when Dipetro comes back, there will be 3 guys on NHL contracts. Not sure if a team will give assets at the deadline for any of them either.

I like the signing though, dirty cheap. Wow, really, Biron couldn't get a better deal?

18Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:23 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I guess they view a super cheap Biron as the best option. He'd be very move-able at the deadline that's for sure.

19Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I guess...

20Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

um....why?? confused

What if DiPi is ready to start the season? Is there something we don't know?

21Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:36 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:um....why?? confused

I'd say that this signing is a pretty clear indicator that DiPietro will NOT be ready to start the season. Can't imagine why else they'd do it.

22Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

rooneypoo wrote:

I'd say that this signing is a pretty clear indicator that DiPietro will NOT be ready to start the season. Can't imagine why else they'd do it.
Yeah this would suggest he's expected to miss a large chunk of the season... if not the whole thing.

23Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Very, very, very, very odd. I don't know what to say.

The first thing that came to mind is that Dipetro is done, but maybe he's just delayed for a while.

I think there's serious issues with Rick in the long term.

Maybe DiPietro is done, but Snow isn't ready to retire as GM yet. They'll keep Rick on the LTIR for a season or two, then promote him to GM. Facepalm

24Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:13 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

The first thing that came to mind is that Dipetro is done, but maybe he's just delayed for a while.

Maybe DiPietro is done, but Snow isn't ready to retire as GM yet. They'll keep Rick on the LTIR for a season or two, then promote him to GM. Facepalm

HAHAHAHA, their franchise is a farce.

25Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
wprager wrote:

It's really too bad for the Isles, really. I mean, the DiPietro signing looked ridiculous at the time, but history shows us that they were really ahead of the curve in terms of league-wide thinking. Laugh at them all you want, but many teams are offering deals of the DiPietro variety -- granted, with perhaps just a few less years.

The problem is, of course, that Dipietro had an injury history even back then. They really ought to have listened to their team doctors more carefully before offering up a 15-year deal.

26Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:46 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

I still laugh when I think about how Snow counted against the cap as a goalie for his first year as a GM. It seems like the Islanders have a constant need to make absurd moves. The best part is Snow bragging about having three bona-fide number 1 goalies. He doesn't see a problem with that? At least Biron was only a one-year deal.

27Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

:^^^^: I can't help laughing.

28Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:50 am

rooneypoo wrote:
PKC wrote:
wprager wrote:

It's really too bad for the Isles, really. I mean, the DiPietro signing looked ridiculous at the time, but history shows us that they were really ahead of the curve in terms of league-wide thinking. Laugh at them all you want, but many teams are offering deals of the DiPietro variety -- granted, with perhaps just a few less years.

The problem is, of course, that Dipietro had an injury history even back then. They really ought to have listened to their team doctors more carefully before offering up a 15-year deal.

Hey, at least he wasn't 35 when he signed that deal Wink

29Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DiPietro's contract was ridiculous at the time, but at least the cap hit was ridiculously low for a bona fide, 1st overall (1st time for a goalie, IIRC) #1 goalie. I don't know if DiPietro, even without injuries, is a true #1, 1st overall type of goalie, but that's beside the point. The worst thing that could have happened is that he turned out to be no more than a backup type, and that has not happened.

If he is forced to retire early then, no sweat, his contract was signed before 35 and they lose the cap hit.

So while the contract was ridiculous, it was only so because it had never been done that way before. What I find more ridiculous now are decade-long contracts giving players $6-9 (and now with Kovalchuk a reported $11+???!) million salaries.

30Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:52 am

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:DiPietro's contract was ridiculous at the time, but at least the cap hit was ridiculously low for a bona fide, 1st overall (1st time for a goalie, IIRC) #1 goalie. I don't know if DiPietro, even without injuries, is a true #1, 1st overall type of goalie, but that's beside the point. The worst thing that could have happened is that he turned out to be no more than a backup type, and that has not happened.

If he is forced to retire early then, no sweat, his contract was signed before 35 and they lose the cap hit.

So while the contract was ridiculous, it was only so because it had never been done that way before. What I find more ridiculous now are decade-long contracts giving players $6-9 (and now with Kovalchuk a reported $11+???!) million salaries.

The contract still does not look good looking back. He signed for $67.5 million for 15 years. Yes the cap hit is manageable but it is still $67.5 million spent. No one knows if he would have stayed a good NHL calibre goalie for that period. At the time he probably would have signed for $5-$6 million per year for a 4 to 5 year term. Khabby was the highest paid goalie at that time when he signed a $6.75 mil per year after his Stanley Cup in TB.

Then after the contract expires, you resign him based on going rate. If he has done well and the players' earnings have gone up, then he gets a raise. On the other hand, you could part ways if he does not live up to expectations as a no. 1 goalie.

The contract looked good at the time because the benchmark in NYI was the Yashin contract(and we do not have to re-visit that contract).

I agree that the decade long contracts are not appealing and predict that they will handicap these teams for many years.

31Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:05 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

I think you're dead on.

THis is another example of the long term IR dealings. It's almost sounding like the DiPietro thing is touch and go, just might be career ending?

32Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:01 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

TSN was saying this morning that DiPietro is expected to be at training camp... so go figure.

33Biron to the Isles - Page 2 Empty Re: Biron to the Isles Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:21 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

so 3 goalies is what they want to carry this year? I figured Biron was signed as insurance that DiPietro still has knee issues.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum