GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore

+2
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:58 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think this is a big year for Washington. They have some great offensive talent with guys like Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom and even their young D man Greene (sp). The goaltending could be an issue but, with the new Coach and his ability to get the most out of his players, this team will not only be tough to play against because they'll be hard workers but they're also a talent laiden group. I'l be shocked if they're not top in there division and therefore at least top 3 in the Conference. I also see them getting pst the first and maybe even the second round of the playoffs.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

2Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Not a chance.
Barring any major injuries, the Caps will win the Southeast and I wouldn't be surprised to see them placed above 3rd in the Conference...
Any Ovechkin-led team is a legitimate threat.

3Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:45 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I think this is a big year for Washington. They have some great offensive talent with guys like Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom and even their young D man Greene (sp). The goaltending could be an issue but, with the new Coach and his ability to get the most out of his players, this team will not only be tough to play against because they'll be hard workers but they're also a talent laiden group. I'l be shocked if they're not top in there division and therefore at least top 3 in the Conference. I also see them getting pst the first and maybe even the second round of the playoffs.
It should come down to them and the Canes. I can't help but see many similarities between the Caps and the Habs. It will be interesting to see if they can have a similar season to last year or even better it.

4Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:51 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jam: I see what you mean about the comparison to the Habs.
I think Washington is hungry to move past the 1st round (well, who isn't? LOL) and really, as Cash put it, with Ovechkin leading the charge, LOOK out!!

My gut feeling tells me that Ovie will be sitting out a few games though this year. I'm NOT wishing him harm, don't misunderstand me, but I have a gut feeling he may go down with an injury that could keep him out as long as Crosby this past season.

However, Ovie is a warrior, doesn't need much protection as he dishes out the hits a-plenty, but also because of that, he plays a lot like Fisher. 110% every shift and that's the other reason why I have a feeling he may go down at some point. Although, he's been pretty fortunate in staying healthy, hasn't he? So, that could be the other intangible factor: the infamous Murphy's law!

5Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Based on their defensive play over the season I think Washington may run into problems after the first round. With the Defense and goaltending issues they'll struggle to get out of the second round I think.

- Unknown Author

6Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:34 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd rather have a nice warm hunk of dung in nets rather than Theodore. This is a guy that will always let in the backbreaking goal - IF he's even in a position to be leading late in a game.

One of the worst goalies in the league. Washington will rue the day that they didn't cough up the extra million bucks to re-sign Huet.

On the other hand...no team with Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Fedorov, Kozlov and Green can be considered a dark horse. They're gonna have problems giving up goals, but they can run and gun with the best of them.

They're out when they face a team that exploits their D and especially Theodore.

7Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They remind me of the Sens atempt at run and gun vs. the Sabres. The Sens had a better D but played like crap.

- Unknown Author

8Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:46 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I didn't think this was really up for debate anymore. They are one of the best teams in the east.

9Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:They remind me of the Sens atempt at run and gun vs. the Sabres. The Sens had a better D but played like crap.

Pretty much exactly like that. They have incredible forwards, but they will try to run and gun with everyone and win playoff games 7-6 (Buffalo anyone?) - and they will lose in the end IMO. Way, way, way before they get anywhere near the Cup Finals (again, IMO).

10Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:50 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I fixed the topic title. It now reads. Not a darkhorse anymore.

- Unknown Author

11Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Empty Re: Washington - Not a darkhorse anymore Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:57 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Two words: Jose Theodore...followed by a question mark.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum