GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE: Hudler to KHL confirmed by Red Wings

+5
SeawaySensFan
PKC
SensFan71
rooneypoo
Cap'n Clutch
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

rooneypoo wrote:I'm really shocked that this rumour turned out to be true. Don't know what Hudler is thinking... he just branded himself a permanent flight risk. No long-term NHL contract for you now, Hudler, ever.

You think so? Since you are the capologist in residence here, what happens if a player decides to leave mid-contract? I would think the NHL team retains the players rights and can block any such move could they not? In that case, giving out a long term contract might not be such a risk. My thinking is that if a player has talent there will always be a team looking to take the risk. Glen Sather is living proof.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

by all means that can be accommodated zoolander, whatever makes it easier for the members to read/access, thanks for pointing that out kind sir.

Zoolander wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I'm really shocked that this rumour turned out to be true. Don't know what Hudler is thinking... he just branded himself a permanent flight risk. No long-term NHL contract for you now, Hudler, ever.

You think so? Since you are the capologist in residence here, what happens if a player decides to leave mid-contract? I would think the NHL team retains the players rights and can block any such move could they not? In that case, giving out a long term contract might not be such a risk. My thinking is that if a player has talent there will always be a team looking to take the risk. Glen Sather is living proof.
If a player leaves mid contract, he can go to the KHL, since there is no transfer agreement/arrangement. If he returns to the NHL his contract "restarts". For example, if you left after year 2 of a 4 year contract, you would start year 3 upon returning to your NHL team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Perhaps the team would own his NHL rights for the duration of the original contract, but the contract itself would have to be declared null and void. Imagine if Hossa left to go to the KHL for 8 years. Then he comes back at age 38 and begins the first 8 years of his 12-year contract where he is averaging about $7M per season. That wouldn't make sense.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From the New York Times yesterday:

K.H.L. Happy With N.H.L., for Now; Hudler Says He Left Detroit for ‘Chance to Be Leader’
Jeff Klein, The New York Times/'Slap Shot', July 11, 2009

K.H.L. president Alexander Medvedev struck a conciliatory tone toward the N.H.L. in an article in the Russian daily Sport-Express on Saturday, but he seemed to be speaking before Friday afternoon’s revelation that the N.H.L. is disputing the signing of Detroit free agent Jiri Hudler by Dinamo Moscow.

In the same Saturday issue of Sport-Express, Hudler explained the main reason why he left Detroit for Moscow. “At Dinamo,” the 25-year-old Czech forward said, “I’ll get something that I was not getting with the Red Wings: a lot of playing time and the opportunity to become a leader.”

The Hudler Q and A also seems to have been conducted before news broke of the N.H.L.’s challenge to his Dinamo signing.

In the first article, Medvedev called “positive” the Atlanta Thrashers’ decision to withdraw its contract offer from Joel Kwiatkowski when the team learned that the defenseman already had a valid contract with SKA St. Petersburg.

“Right now it does not matter who was to blame for the situation,” Medvedev told Sport-Express. “The main thing is that the lesson learned from this story is positive for all parties. This case should be a step towards the restoration of civilized relations between the N.H.L. and K.H.L.”

Medvedev added that the oral “gentlemen’s agreement” forged last fall between the leagues not to poach players under contract would be improved if it were a written document.

But those statements, the most conciliatory from Medvedev in a long time (since, say, Alexander Radulov jumped his Nashville contract to join Salavat Yulaev Ufa last summer), included nothing about the N.H.L.’s Hudler challenge. The North American league argues that Hudler, by opting to take Detroit to salary arbitration last week, obligated himself to enter into a new contract with the Red Wings for 2009-10 at a salary to be determined by the arbitrator.

The N.H.L. wants the I.I.H.F. to deny Hudler a transfer card that would allow him to play for Dinamo.

In Saturday’s Sport-Express Q and A with Hudler himself, Hudler reveals that his main reason for choosing Dinamo over Detroit was the chance for “a lot of playing time and the opportunity to become a leader.”

Here are excerpts from that interview:

S-E: Many across the ocean find it strange that you decided to part with the N.H.L.’s best club in recent years. And the talk in Europe is that you have been rash.

HUDLER: I do not think so, although the decision to move to Russia, I won’t hide, was not so easy as anyone might think. However, weighing all the pros and cons, I agreed to the proposal of Dinamo. I was already interested, and the club president and representatives showed a persistence in negotiations that was impossible to refuse.

S-E: What do you say, then, to the opinion that your move was only about the great deal of money that Dinamo offered you?

HUDLER: From a financial point of view, my contract, of course, is excellent — a chance to earn that much is extremely rare. It would be foolish to say that this factor didn’t play a role. And I admit, I never expected to get such an attractive offer from Dinamo. But if it were just about money, I would have stayed in Detroit.

S-E: What was the main factor?

HUDLER: The K.H.L. is an interesting league; it is evolving rapidly. Many of my friends are more than positive about it. In addition, at Dinamo I’ll get something that I was not getting with the Red Wings: a lot of playing time and the opportunity to become a leader. According to Golovkov [the Dinamo coach], the team has excellent strength and is set solely on winning the upcoming championship. Such an approach I like. I’ve already won the Stanley Cup, and now it is time to take a new trophy.

S-E: Dinamo came to you immediately after the end of the season?

HUDLER: The first time it asked me two years ago, when my contract expired with Detroit. Representatives of Dinamo asked me my plans, and even then were ready to make a good proposal. But I just said that I will not go. At that time I really wanted to win the Stanley Cup. That same season, Detroit was the best.

S-E: Aren’t you afraid that your current decision will permanently close the road to the N.H.L. to you?

HUDLER: By the standards of hockey, I’m still quite young. I hope I have at least 10 more years. Therefore, over time, I can always come back to Detroit, where I have had an excellent relationship with everyone. While you are young, you should try it. A couple of seasons in the K.H.L. will not exactly hurt me. Moreover, I am sure that Russia will be able to progress.

S-E: Have you talked to the people in Detroit?

HUDLER: Yes, I spoke with head coach Mike Babc0ck and several players. I understand that my move puzzled and somewhat upset some of them, but I explained my decision that at this stage Dinamo will be more interesting to me. In general, they all wished me luck.

S-E: Is it true that your parents were opposed to his departure from Detroit?

HUDLER: This is not true. Dad said that he will accept all my decisions, as long as it is good for my career.

S-E: Six years ago you had a half-season with Ak Bars. What’s memorable?

HUDLER: Then I wasn’t able to show all of what I was capable of. I had an injury — because of this had to miss almost the entire playoffs. But over all it was a good time. …

S-E: Have you talked to any of your future teammates?

HUDLER: Not yet. Although there are some familiar persons, for example, Markov on defense Markov. Danny’s a great guy. We played together in Detroit. I know, of course, my partner on the national team, Karel Rachunek. Incidentally, before signing a contract I spoke with the Avangard forward Jakub Klepis. He’s my old friend — it was interesting to hear his opinion. He had only good things to say about the K.H.L.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From Yahoo Sports today:

Just in from the KHL: The League registered the contract of Jiri Hudler with HC Dynamo because of a lack of transfer agreement with the NHL; the refusal of the NHL to "cancel registration of contract" of Evgeni Dadonov with the Florida Panthers; that Hudler isn’t technically under contract with an NHL team; and "attempts by the Vancouver Canucks to sign a contract with hockey player Sergei Shirokov for whom all contractual and sports rights belong to the HC CSKA Moscow."

The text of the KHL press release (from the KHL's English language site):

Kontinental Hockey League Official Statement

Considering the facts that:
- there is no arrangement or any agreements between Kontinental Hockey League and National Hockey League on restricted free agents transfers;
- NHL refuse to cancel the registration of a contract between Florida Panthers and Yevgeny Dadonov (contractual and sporting rights on this player belong to KHL club Traktor Chelyabinsk);
- Jiri Hudler has no valid contract with any National Hockey League club;
- Detroit Red Wings have no permission from NHL to negotiate with Dynamo Moscow on Jiri Hudler transfer rights;
- Vancouver Canucks intend to sign a deal with Sergei Shirokov (contractual and sporting rights on this player belong to KHL club CSKA);
KHL has to take the following decisions:
- to register Jiri Hudler contract with Dynamo Moscow on July 30, 2009 regardless of the results of arbitration hearing on his case in National Hockey League and to provide player with the right to choose the league he wants to play in.
- to affirm the KHL readiness to start at any time and in any form negotiations with the NHL mediated by IIHF on the restricted free agents status and other issues of the General Agreement on players transfers between KHL and NHL.

Kontinental Hockey League Press Service, 30.07.09
http://en.khl.ru/news/2009/7/30/13719.html

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good, opens up a roster spot to someone who actually wants to play in the NHL.

davetherave wrote:

HUDLER: Yes, I spoke with head coach Mike Wang and several players. I understand that my move puzzled and somewhat upset some of them, but I explained my decision that at this stage Dinamo will be more interesting to me. In general, they all wished me luck.

Hahaha. He called him Mike Wang!!!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

notch4077 wrote:
davetherave wrote:

HUDLER: Yes, I spoke with head coach Mike Wang and several players. I understand that my move puzzled and somewhat upset some of them, but I explained my decision that at this stage Dinamo will be more interesting to me. In general, they all wished me luck.

Hahaha. He called him Mike Wang!!!

Fixed. :n: The GMHockey filter strikes Babc0ck again.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Good, opens up a roster spot to someone who actually wants to play in the NHL.

Do you know why Hudler took the KHL deal?

Apparently, according to Hudler, he can make in two years in Russia, what it would take him seven to make in the NHL.

Wow, I just posted this on Dobber. You guys are always so fast here.

10 million over 2 years.....wait for it......TAX FREE!

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

notch4077 wrote:Wow, I just posted this on Dobber. You guys are always so fast here.

Thanks, but the person who really deserves all the credit is Wings columnist Ansar Khan at MLive.com. His report was posted here, on the main Red Wings thread, two weeks ago.

http://www.gmhockey.com/detroit-redwheels-f21/what-s-next-for-the-red-wings-t2521-90.htm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Looks like he's staying with Detroit.....for big money too.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/07/31/hudler_wings/

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The report says he was "awarded" that deal?

Doesn't seem like a return to the Wings is definite to me. Not yet anyway.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

[quote="Hobiesens"]Looks like he's staying with Detroit.....for big money too.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/07/31/hudler_wings/[/quote]

Lyle Richardson at SpectorsHockey.net reports the amount is the arbitration award. From his site...

SPORTSNET.CA: reports Jiri Hudler was awarded a two-year contract worth over $5 million and is staying with the Red Wings rather than playing next season in the KHL.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: That's the arbitration award but the report doesn't specify if Hudler has actually agreed to return to Detroit this season. The reason why he signed with Moscow Dynamo was they were paying him double that amount tax-free, which was a better deal than he'd get from the Wings who are feeling the pinch of the salary cap this summer. Hopefully there'll be more details on this later.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There goes Spector stealing my thoughts and padding them with extra words again. 🇬🇬

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Apparently Hudler to Russia is confirmed.

Sportsnet story about Jiri Hudler staying with Red Wings is inaccurate
Ansar Khan, MLive.com, Friday July 31, 2009, 11:34 AM

Disregard a bizarre report on Sportsnet.ca that claims Jiri Hudler is staying in Detroit after an arbiter awarded him a two-year deal worth $5 million.

It'll probably be corrected or removed soon.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said this morning that he hasn't yet received the arbiter's decision, but made it clear that this ship has sailed. Hudler is playing in Russia next season.

"The story's over. He's going to play in Russia,'' Holland said. "We're waiting on the terms (of the salary arbitration case) he has to (honor) if and when he returns to the NHL.''

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum