GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bruins sign Sabourin

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Bruins sign Sabourin Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:54 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

1-way deal, no word on $ yet.

Looks like Rask spends another year in the minors -- and probably because his cap hit (with bonuses) is too much for the Bs to handle given their current cap situation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284005

EDIT: Oops, scratch that, 2-way deal, $600K. Looks like performance and cap situation will determine whether Sabourin or Rask back up Thomas.

Last edited by rooneypoo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got it wrong!)

2Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Re: Bruins sign Sabourin Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:1-way deal, no word on $ yet.

Looks like Rask spends another year in the minors -- and probably because his cap hit (with bonuses) is too much for the Bs to handle given their current cap situation.

Do bonuses count against the cap? I didn't think they did..

3Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Re: Bruins sign Sabourin Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Yes and No. Bonuses can be deferred to the following year's cap if earned.

4Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Re: Bruins sign Sabourin Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:17 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

smash88 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:1-way deal, no word on $ yet.

Do bonuses count against the cap? I didn't think they did..

Yep.

I believe you can have bonuses "carry-over" to the next year, which effectively means that you'd be spending this year's money next year, but I can't imagine too many teams want to mortgage their cap future like that. It would be an extremely short-sighted approach to take.

5Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Re: Bruins sign Sabourin Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:52 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

so Manny Fernandez to the KHL, maybe Biron goes with him?

6Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Re: Bruins sign Sabourin Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:so Manny Fernandez to the KHL, maybe Biron goes with him?

Poor Biron.

He probably would have kept his job as the starting goalie for a mean-looking team that has a real shot at making the SCF if only he had been more moderate in his demands. I mean, $5 mil / yr? In this economy? Where players are taking pay cuts left, right, and centre?

He power-played himself out of an NHL job, at least as a starter. I can't even think of a team that needs a starter anymore. COL seems to have convinced themselves that Anderson / Budaj will do.

7Bruins sign Sabourin Empty Re: Bruins sign Sabourin Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:32 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:so Manny Fernandez to the KHL, maybe Biron goes with him?

Poor Biron.

He probably would have kept his job as the starting goalie for a mean-looking team that has a real shot at making the SCF if only he had been more moderate in his demands. I mean, $5 mil / yr? In this economy? Where players are taking pay cuts left, right, and centre?

He power-played himself out of an NHL job, at least as a starter. I can't even think of a team that needs a starter anymore. COL seems to have convinced themselves that Anderson / Budaj will do.

a year in the KHL may change his tune though, it did with Emery, I know different scenario though, Biron has lots of potential, but also is older, he may be winding down his career at this point.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum