GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sedins Each Seeking 12 Year, $63 Million contracts

+4
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
asq2
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Thought we needed something else to talk about. Wink

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282198

According to a report on Swedish website expressen.se, Daniel and Henrik Sedin are looking for identical 12-year contracts worth $63 million each, similar to the one signed by fellow countryman Henrik Zetterberg with the Detroit Red Wings.

While the twins enjoyed solid seasons with the Canucks last year, co-leading the team in scoring with 82 points each while each adding 10 points during the Canucks' playoff run, they have yet to reach the same level as Zetterberg who captured the Conn Smythe trophy last season while leading his Red Wings to the Stanley Cup.

The brother's have expressed an interest in remaining in Vancouver, while the Canucks' have stated that it is a priority to re-sign the twins, however it is believed that a $63 million price tag is much more than general manager Mike Gillis would be willing to spend.

Not a terrible cap hit right now, but that's a lot of money to spend. I'd assume they'd retire before the contract runs out.

Now, does Burke give that to them?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like it. I'm a big fan of lower cap hits. I preferred the other rumour of 10 years/50 million, but what the heck, I'd do this as well.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

10.5 million - and we lose 7.5 million from the Heatley trade. Trade Smith and Kelly (4.7 more) and we're ahead of the game - not to mention the possibility of adding a Clowe or Michalek?

I'd be interested to be completely honest.

That takes them both to age 40. They are at the right age to do this type of contract. I was thinking that would be something Murray could do with Hossa, who is now 30. 12 years for 60M with the last 5 years being 1 or 2 million per. The key to these deals is that the player has "PROVEN" what he brings.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

meh. Not interested in the twins personally.

- Unknown Author

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:10.5 million - and we lose 7.5 million from the Heatley trade. Trade Smith and Kelly (4.7 more) and we're ahead of the game - not to mention the possibility of adding a Clowe or Michalek?

I'd be interested to be completely honest.

Nah.

I'd rather trade Heatley/Lee/2nd for Bouchard/Burns/1st. Salary basically evens out. If we then dump Smith and Kelly, we have room to add something pretty nice, but not the Sedins.

I don't think the twins are players I'd pin my team's hopes on.

Why are we dumping Smith and Kelly again?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

If Leafs sign these guys, they are screwed, and they can kiss Rick Nash goodbye.

Dash wrote:If Leafs sign these guys, they are screwed, and they can kiss Rick Nash goodbye.

I hope they sign these guys for that long with NMC's bonus for us. That will make them a middle of the pack organization for a lot of years.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:Why are we dumping Smith and Kelly again?

Smith is untradeable. He's too beat up, his cap hit is too much for someone of his age and abilities. If someone wanted him, they'd have signed him.

Kelly is replaceable. He's a dime a dozen player. Zack Smith could do what he does, or Regin, or Bass...etc... not to mention at half the cost or less.

MurderOnIce wrote:
Dash wrote:If Leafs sign these guys, they are screwed, and they can kiss Rick Nash goodbye.

I hope they sign these guys for that long with NMC's bonus for us. That will make them a middle of the pack organization for a lot of years.
10M per year for 2/3 of your top line isn't bad.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

^ True, but you have to find someone who is going to take Kelly's salary. Dime a dozen, possibly, then why would anyone pay 2.2 million for him when they probably have a guy like him in their system?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Exactly, which is why it is laughable to think that we can trade so many of our players for a nice return.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:
10M per year for 2/3 of your top line isn't bad.

Exactly. And they're really good too.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I think they can afford all three, depending on which contracts they move.

I just hope Nash stays in Columbus.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum