GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colorado hire Joe Sacco as head coach

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Colorado hire Joe Sacco as head coach Empty Colorado hire Joe Sacco as head coach Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Another AHL coach makes it to the NHL. Greg Sherman (GM) has hired Joe Sacco as the Colorado Avalanche's head coach. He was previously the coach of the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280871

New Colorado Avalanche general manager Greg Sherman wasted no time in hiring a head coach.

The club announced the hiring of former player Joe Sacco, who will take over for previous head coach Tony Granato who was fired on Wednesday.

"The American Hockey League has proven to be a valuable training ground for NHL head coaches and we're confident that Joe's experience at that level will be vital to his success with our organization at the NHL level," Sherman said. "Our franchise has gone that route very successfully in the past."

Sacco had spent the last two seasons as a coach for the Lake Erie Monsters of the American Hockey League. Last season, the Monsters won 34 games and finished out of the playoffs with 76 points.

"I'm very honored and grateful to the Avalanche organization for giving me this opportunity," Sacco said. "This organization has provided me with all the necessary tools and support to be successful and grow as a coach. I'm confident in my abilities and believe the experience I've gained will help me succeed in this new challenge."

The 40-year old Sacco played for parts of 13 seasons in the NHL for the Toronto Maple Leafs, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, New York Islanders, Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers. He recorded 94 goals and 119 assists in 738 games.

The club will also reportedly announce that former defenceman Sylvain Lefebvre, who won a cup with the Avalanche in 1996 will serve as an assistant coach, like he has under Sacco in Lake Erie.

"These two coaches have been at the frontlines of this organization's development efforts over the last few seasons," said Sherman. "Joe and Sylvain are familiar with our personnel, especially our young players within the system, and each played a role in implementing the organization's vision with these players."

Sacco is the franchise's 13th head coach.

--

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More coverage from Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/06/04/avs_new_coach/

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs, thanks for posting this> Cheers

...as the trend towards hiring former minor league coaches continues...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum