GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next for the Panthers?

+3
PKC
shabbs
davetherave
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:19 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs, think about this for a second.

Nobody would care if Balsillie tried to move the Panthers. Nobody.

The situation in Phoenix, on the other hand, is a TOTAL mess.

So why did Balsillie stick in his foot in it--when he could have had the Panthers AND a money making arena for almost the same price and a lot less trouble?

You tell me.

47What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Shabbs, think about this for a second.

Nobody would care if Balsillie tried to move the Panthers. Nobody.

The situation in Phoenix, on the other hand, is a TOTAL mess.

So why did Balsillie stick in his foot in it--when he could have had the Panthers AND a money making arena for almost the same price and a lot less trouble?

You tell me.
Balsillie does not want to own a team in a loser of a market, and both Florida and Phoenix are loser markets. Let's call a spade a spade.

What makes you so certain Bettman and the NHL would have let Balsillie buy the Panthers and move them to Hamilton without any issue?

I say Balsillie would have had a harder time moving the Panthers than the Coyotes as he would not have been able to drag the Panthers into the courts via bankruptcy and bring this all out into the open and level hte playing field somewhat, setting the stage for an anti-trust case etc...

The key to all this was the Coyotes going into bankruptcy. It started a chain of events that Balsillie and co feel they can control better than the NHL.

Will it work... who knows.

48What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:25 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs..>that's my point. Balsillie wouldn't have had to put the team into bankruptcy court if he bought the Panthers.

Instead, Balsillie's stepped into a big expensive pile of legal dung.

And believe me, NOBODY...not the State of Florida, not the City of Fort Lauderdale, not the few hockey fans in South Florida, not the NHL, cares if the Panthers stay there. They haven't cared for years.

It would not surprise me if this sale gets approved--and Cohen will have already done his homework on this one--that the Panthers aren't playing somewhere else, if not this season, then next.

49What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:38 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Shabbs..>that's my point. Balsillie wouldn't have had to put the team into bankruptcy court if he bought the Panthers.

And I'm saying that was his plan the whole time. This is what he wanted, costs be damned. This is the only place he felt he could buy the team and get it moved back to Canada.
davetherave wrote:And believe me, NOBODY...not the State of Florida, not the City of Fort Lauderdale, not the few hockey fans in South Florida, not the NHL, cares if the Panthers stay there. They haven't cared for years.

It would not surprise me if this sale gets approved--and Cohen will have already done his homework on this one--that the Panthers aren't playing somewhere else, if not this season, then next.
Somewhere else as in the US or Canada? I think there's a MONSTROUS difference between moving the team within the US (ie: KC or Vegas) and moving a team back to Canada as far as the NHL and Bettman are concerned.

They may talk the talk with respect to "looking into Winnipeg and Quebec" but I don't buy it for one second.

50What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Pardon my ignorance, but who is the Panthers' GM? I thought Martin had assumed that role while DeBeers was the coach. confused

Surely Martin cannot be Panthers' GM and Habs' coach at the same time.

51What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

All I see listed on the site is Randy Sexton: assistant general manager.

52What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:16 pm

How long until Markström makes the jump?

53What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:18 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:How long until Markström makes the jump?

I don't see him as a guy who needs much more time. But the Cats have two pretty fine goaltenders on the roster already. His only option for now may be to try to force his way onto the roster and get one of the goalies moved.

54What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:18 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but who is the Panthers' GM? I thought Martin had assumed that role while DeBeers was the coach. confused

Surely Martin cannot be Panthers' GM and Habs' coach at the same time.
He was bought out and the role is vacant as far as I understand.

55What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:22 pm

asq2 wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:How long until Markström makes the jump?

I don't see him as a guy who needs much more time. But the Cats have two pretty fine goaltenders on the roster already. His only option for now may be to try to force his way onto the roster and get one of the goalies moved.

Do the cats have him under contract yet?

56What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:15 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:Shabbs..>that's my point. Balsillie wouldn't have had to put the team into bankruptcy court if he bought the Panthers.

And I'm saying that was his plan the whole time. This is what he wanted, costs be damned. This is the only place he felt he could buy the team and get it moved back to Canada.

OK, if you say so...

Hope Jim's wearing his hip waders...that dung's getting deeper and more expensive by the minute.
:^^^^:

PS the Panthers let Martin out of his deal, and got out from under his contract as they sold the club.

Randy Sexton will probably move into Jack's office in the meantime.

57What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:OK, if you say so...

Hope Jim's wearing his hip waders...that dung's getting deeper and more expensive by the minute.
I say so.

Here's where I think Balsillie's mind is at... he's tried doing it "the NHL way" and run into road blocks, Bettman has apparently sat down with him and laid out how to become an NHL owner... whatever he heard, he didn't like and didn't mesh with his master plan. Balsillie is convinced he'll never be an owner going the normal route. He feels that this is his only option to do things in the time frame he wants and begin to build his empire in Southern Ontario.

I'm assuming, that to him him, these legal costs are peanuts compared to what he's planning on reaping from the move.

It's looking to me like this has all been a very calculated set of moves to position for an anti-trust case.

Balsillie has basically declared war on Bettman and the NHL's rules.

That's my take on it. Right or wrong... time will tell.

58What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs, you make your point very well.

Balsillie's strategic approach is not unknown to me, in my long and often amusing experience in big business.

It's called the "Push The Elephant Through the Keyhole" strategy.

As you say..."costs be damned".

Meanwhile, it's quite possible the Panthers will end up in Kansas City, Quebec or Winnipeg by the 2010-11 season.

59What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:16 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Shabbs, you make your point very well.

Balsillie's strategic approach is not unknown to me, in my long and often amusing experience in big business.

It's called the "Push The Elephant Through the Keyhole" strategy.

As you say..."costs be damned".

Meanwhile, it's quite possible the Panthers will end up in Kansas City, Quebec or Winnipeg by the 2010-11 season.
Only time will tell... one day we'll look back on all this and reminisce...

60What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:56 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Shabbs> I'll drink to that!

Cheers

Fire up the barbecue, and BEERS ON ICE!

61What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Uh...did the Panthers get sold?

I just heard that and thought I was keeping up with things? Shrug

62What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:12 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Heater> Panthers sold to an investment group the day after Jacques Martin took the job in Montreal...details in my post further up the thread\\

63What's Next for the Panthers? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's Next for the Panthers? Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Heater> Panthers sold to an investment group the day after Jacques Martin took the job in Montreal...details in my post further up the thread\\

I went back and read that. Interesting Balsille didn't try like you were saying, but I see where Shabbs was coming from as well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum