GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » The 2009 NHL Combine is underway

The 2009 NHL Combine is underway

+4
SeawaySensFan
The Silfer Server
SensFan71
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:03 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
some of the info from the big boys, some intriguing speculation that Tavares may have an upper body injury, wonder how that will hurt his # 1 status?

2:25 pm - Some of the big boys were in this group and there were some big men on hand to watch. NHLPA agent Pat Brisson, Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, Leafs' Senior VP of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis, Leafs' Senior Advisor Cliff Fletcher, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson and Panthers GM Jacques Martin are all in attendance.
Possible #1 selection and OHL leading scorer John Tavares did not do upper-body exercises at all, leading to speculation that he has an upper-body injury. He did do 46 sit-ups, which is one of the highest totals seen on the day. Tavares is fit but there's obviously something going on - possibly a shoulder injury - as he did not do push-ups or the bench press. Tavares did do cycling and is looking good.
Evander Kane (#3) had an excellent workout. He had 17 bench presses, which ties the unofficial high for the day. Kane also did 47 push-ups, which seems to be far and away the best so far. In general, the 17-year-old looks like he's in really good shape. At 6'1, 176 pounds, he has lots of room to grow but was certainly ready for this judging by his workout.
Zack Kassian (#10) did an impressive 16 lifts on the bench.
Fourth-ranked Brayden Schenn did not get into the room until the next group started doing their exercises, so Schenn will probably now be going with Group #5.

17The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:05 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Interesting... any Sens presence there? I have not seen any mention.

Tavares must have a shoulder injury... that's not good timing...

18The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:Interesting... any Sens presence there? I have not seen any mention.

The Sens are waiting to get an idea of how many first-round picks will be left after Burke decides how many he will take this year.

No sense in doing too much when you're just waiting for leftovers.

19The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:10 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
Unfortunately, Marcus Foligno isn't attending the combine. It's a shame, I wanted to see how his fitness levels would compare to some of the top names...

20The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:18 pm

shabbs wrote:Interesting... any Sens presence there? I have not seen any mention.

If by "presence" you mean scouts, then yeah there absolutely is. Every team in the league has people there watching and evaluating. Any team that didn't would be pretty dumb.

21The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:20 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
Bass Destruction wrote:Unfortunately, Marcus Foligno isn't attending the combine. It's a shame, I wanted to see how his fitness levels would compare to some of the top names...

Is that a by choice thing or are only a certain number of players/prospects invited?

22The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:43 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I see Schenn also did not do upper body stuff... interesting...

23The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:44 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
SensFan71 wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:Unfortunately, Marcus Foligno isn't attending the combine. It's a shame, I wanted to see how his fitness levels would compare to some of the top names...

Is that a by choice thing or are only a certain number of players/prospects invited?

I was wondering that myself... I know they can't have everyone who is draft eligible go... And i'm pretty sure it's by invitation... I'm not sure why someone wouldn't go if they were invited.

24The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:45 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SensFan71 wrote:

I'm curious on that too... is it by invite or what? I see they say "Over 100 of the top prospects available in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft are in Toronto to take part in the league's Combine".

What is the criteria?

25The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 3:55 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
More results as per the TSN live blog, possibly more injury bugs nagging the prospects.

3:24 pm et - Schenn came in and did the same thing as Tavares, skipping the upper-body exercises and leaving onlookers to speculate that he may have an upper-body/shoulder injury.
Landon Ferraro (#18) then followed suit, opting out of the bench press and push-ups.
Tyson Barrie (#52), son of Lightning owner Len Barrie, had a solid workout overall. He is not particularly tall for a defenceman but is built solidly.
Ryan Bourque (#49), son of NHL legend Ray, is relatively small but did a great job on the agility drills where players hop around a hexagon. He excelled during this exercise, doing better than most of his counterparts. Ryan is also the spitting image of his father, like a smaller version of his dad.
Calvin De Haan (#25) and Jordan Caron (#21) had solid but uneventful workouts.
Highly-touted centre Matt Duchene (#2) looked relatively solid but he will need to get much stronger. The 18-year-old's body also needs to mature a little more for him to be an NHLer.
16th-ranked Ryan Ellis signed in and was then allowed to leave due to unknown circumstances.
Bruins vice president Cam Neely has joined the proceedings.
No. 1-ranked European Victor Hedman is huge, measuring in at close to 6'7, and will be undergoing his testing soon in the same group as Jared Cowen.
Also coming up: a mystery TSN personality will give the NHL Combine his best go. Check back here soon to find out how he or she did.
On a related note to the day's proceedings, the following Combine attendees were named to the Canadian development camp roster for the 2010 World Juniors:
Jared Cowen, Ryan Ellis, Dylan Olsen, Charles-Olivier Roussel, Gabriel Bourque, Jordan Caron, Matt Duchene, Scott Glennie, Nazem Kadri, Evander Kane, Zack Kassian, Brandon Kozun, Louis Leblanc, Ryan O'Reilly and Brayden Schenn.
STILL TO COME THIS AFTERNOON: Victor Hedman, Jared Cowan and the mystery TSN personality will be up soon. Be sure to check back in with us!

//

if (window['OneClipVideoListRenderer']) {OneClipVideoListRenderer.SetDefaultPath('feature');OneClipVideoListRenderer.ClearClips();OneClipVideoListRenderer.AddClip({image:"http://images.ctvdigital.com/images/pub2upload/9/2009_5_29/schroeder.jpg",title:"Jordan Schroeder 1-on-1",description:"James Cybulski talks to Jordan Schroeder about his draft position and his tough Combine testing.",clipid:177714});}

26The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 4:16 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
My guess that 'mystery' TSN personality is James Duthie. The guy is a comedian. Although, James Cybulski is trying hard to make comedy his niche as well. I find he tries a little hard, which means he's not as funny, but he has his moments too. It could be him as well.

27The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 4:51 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
Bass Destruction wrote:My guess that 'mystery' TSN personality is James Duthie. The guy is a comedian. Although, James Cybulski is trying hard to make comedy his niche as well. I find he tries a little hard, which means he's not as funny, but he has his moments too. It could be him as well.

either way, they will both be puking within 5 minutes lol, and that is before getting on the bike.

28The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 8:50 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Here's something that stood out for me:

"No. 1-ranked European Victor Hedman is huge, measuring in at close to 6'6. Jared Cowen (#9 overall, according to NHL Central Scouting) is 6'5. Obviously both players have long limbs which enabled them to have good all-around workouts."

Really surprising. Cowen's recovering from a pretty severe lower-body injury. Many thought he wouldn't be able to take part in the combine.

Does "good all-around work-outs" still allow for him to have avoided some of the drills, or has the recovery process really been that fast?

29The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 9:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:Here's something that stood out for me:

"No. 1-ranked European Victor Hedman is huge, measuring in at close to 6'6. Jared Cowen (#9 overall, according to NHL Central Scouting) is 6'5. Obviously both players have long limbs which enabled them to have good all-around workouts."

Really surprising. Cowen's recovering from a pretty severe lower-body injury. Many thought he wouldn't be able to take part in the combine.

Does "good all-around work-outs" still allow for him to have avoided some of the drills, or has the recovery process really been that fast?

There goes what little shot we had at Cowen then. If he's good enough to do a combine, he'll rise back to the 7th or 8th slot - if not higher. Tantrum

30The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 9:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:Here's something that stood out for me:

There goes what little shot we had at Cowen then. If he's good enough to do a combine, he'll rise back to the 7th or 8th slot - if not higher. Tantrum

True, but we're guaranteed one of JT, Hedman, Duchene, MPS, Kane, Schenn, Cowen, Kulikov or OEL if we so choose.

:KKK:

31The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Fri May 29, 2009 9:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I know, I was saying that the other day and the person I was talking to didn't believe me. It's no longer just the top 7, it's the top 9 now.

I like the ring of that personally. :****:

32The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Sat May 30, 2009 7:37 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SensFan71 wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:My guess that 'mystery' TSN personality is James Duthie. The guy is a comedian. Although, James Cybulski is trying hard to make comedy his niche as well. I find he tries a little hard, which means he's not as funny, but he has his moments too. It could be him as well.

either way, they will both be puking within 5 minutes lol, and that is before getting on the bike.

It ended up being Darren Dutchyshen.

TSN SportsCentre anchor Darren Dutchyshen took his best shot at the
same tests that the prospects did. Dutchyshen first weighed in at a
robust 220 pounds, and for his first test, completed 29 push-ups. That
total was about average when measured against the prospects, but is
very impressive considering that Dutchyshen weighs more than most of
the players. He did 10 or 11 sit-ups, although it's not known if all
would have counted if the results were formally measured. His vertical
jump was very good.

Dutchyshen's best event was the bench press, where he turned in 25
lifts of 150 pounds. That total was the best of the day, far better
than the top prospect total of 17. Again, Dutchyshen has an advantage
since his frame is fully developed, while the 18-year old prospects
will still mature a lot in the next few years.

Upon completing the Wingate cycle test, one of the athletic trainers
told Dutchyshen "you should take a lot of Advil - you're going to feel
it tomorrow and the day after that".

33The 2009 NHL Combine is underway - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2009 NHL Combine is underway Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Impressive effort by Darren!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum