GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia

+3
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
PTFlea
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 12:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/275398.html

2Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 12:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

First, Fedorov, now Kozlov. The Russians are Going, the Russians are Going!

3Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Washington has some holes to fill now I guess.

- Unknown Author

4Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 12:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I guess they are no-longer Russia's team.

5Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 12:53 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:First, Fedorov, now Kozlov. The Russians are Going, the Russians are Going!

seems to be the going trend, players leaving for the KHL, not a lot of people returning yet though.

6Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 12:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
wprager wrote:First, Fedorov, now Kozlov. The Russians are Going, the Russians are Going!

seems to be the going trend, players leaving for the KHL, not a lot of people returning yet though.

Potentially the biggest of them all coming back today in Jagr - if it's true.

7Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 1:01 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Potentially the biggest of them all coming back today in Jagr - if it's true.

Is he signing with Edmonton to go with the big news of their pending coach? I heard Edmonton linked a lot with Jagr, probably no deal on Radulov eh? That one stings for the Preds.

8Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 1:03 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
Is he signing with Edmonton to go with the big news of their pending coach? I heard Edmonton linked a lot with Jagr, probably no deal on Radulov eh? That one stings for the Preds.

I hear that they might indeed announce something at 2 about Jagr. As for Radulov...he might come back, but Nashville will have to pony up a lot of coin for him. And really, do they want him poisoning their room?

If his attitude is okay after all this, Nashville could use him on their roster, but I'd certainly think about going a different direction if I was them.

9Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 1:05 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

I hear that they might indeed announce something at 2 about Jagr. As for Radulov...he might come back, but Nashville will have to pony up a lot of coin for him. And really, do they want him poisoning their room?

If his attitude is okay after all this, Nashville could use him on their roster, but I'd certainly think about going a different direction if I was them.

guess the only other player to sit and wait about is Razor Ray, there are a few teams out there that need a starting goalie bad, I am looking at colorado for one. will keep my ears perked on Jagr for the next hour or so.

10Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i think the NHL has to sit down with the KHL and come to some sort of agreement. its just not fair that these russian teams have the right(or take it) to talk to pending UFAs before july 1st. it makes it imposible for another team to counter offer. i was hoping for kozlov to stay in the NHL(even maybe ottawa)

11Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 1:13 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The tide's got to come back at some point. They can't go on absorbing all those salaries -- I don't care *how* much oil there is in the far East of Russia.

12Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I think this is good for Washington, they need the cap space, so losing those two (Federov and Kozlov) helps alleviate some of that. Now if only they can do something with Theodore. Sure, they lose two goal scorers, but they can sign some FA's or bring up some young guys (who they have success with).

13Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 5:00 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Considering that the price of oil has gone from $40 USD a barrel to $75 USD a barrel in just a few weeks, and even with it settling at $62 USD today (per Bloomberg); and that Gazprom continues to be sole supplier of natural gas to the entire European Union, I'd say the Russian Government and their partners in the KHL (who are financed by Gazprom) are pretty flush right now.

As for the cost of air transport in the former USSR, the state owns all the airlines behind the facade of privatization, so carrying players to and from all points in the vast Russian lands is no big deal cost wise.

Rich as the Russian apparat is, they can afford to keep this league going even if Ivan Ivanovitch and a few babushkas are the only people in the stands.

As a good friend of mine in The Russian Foreign Ministry once told me, "Any idiot with money can make things happen, but it takes a genius to be creative when money is in short supply."

And not only are the Russians creative when money is in short supply, they're even more creative when they're loaded.

It will be very interesting to see how many Russian players approaching the end of their careers in the NHL head home, and even more interesting if KHL head Aleksandr Medvedev makes good on his suggestion that he might buy one or two NHL franchises and move them back to Canada.

14Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Empty Re: Viktor Kozlov signs in Russia Tue May 26, 2009 5:07 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:I think this is good for Washington, they need the cap space, so losing those two (Federov and Kozlov) helps alleviate some of that. Now if only they can do something with Theodore. Sure, they lose two goal scorers, but they can sign some FA's or bring up some young guys (who they have success with).

i'm not sure how this benefits washington? both were gonna be UFAs, meanning washington could of let them go the real problem was that other teams could of signed them. i liked kozlov personaly and wouldn't have objected ottawa giving a small cheap contract (2 mill) to federov.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum