GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

SCP '09 GAME DAY: WEDNESDAY MAY 13--PITTSBURGH AT WASHINGTON, 7PM ET

+5
Hockeyhero22000
PTFlea
wprager
shabbs
davetherave
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SCP '09 GAME DAY: WEDNESDAY MAY 13--PITTSBURGH AT WASHINGTON, 7PM ET PitPittsburgh at SCP '09 GAME DAY: WEDNESDAY MAY 13--PITTSBURGH AT WASHINGTON, 7PM ET WasWashington

GAME SEVEN, STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS EAST SEMIFINALS
SERIES TIED 3-3

7:00 PM ET, May 13, 2009
Verizon Center, Washington, DC

CBC/RDS/Versus

Penguins-Capitals Preview

MORE FROM ESPN.COM:http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=290513023

ARLINGTON, Va. (AP/ESPN) -- When the Washington Capitals host the Pittsburgh Penguins to finish their taut, thrilling Eastern Conference semifinal Wednesday night, Alex Ovechkin's third career Game 7 in the NHL playoffs will mark Sidney Crosby's debut in such a setting.

That's right: For all of his talent and success, Sid the Kid is still relatively, well, a kid.

"I've watched a lot of Game 7s, but this will be my first one," the 21-year-old Crosby said. "I've never played one in juniors -- or any level."

So he and 22-year-old teammate Kris Letang asked the, ahem, more-experienced Bill Guerin for some words of advice Tuesday while skipping the optional skate at the Penguins' practice facility.

"Somebody," Crosby observed, "is going home."

Which sort of feels like a bit of a shame, given what these teams have delivered so far in a series that features the past two NHL MVPs (Ovechkin and Crosby), two of this year's MVP finalists (Ovechkin and Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin), and the past two league points leaders (Malkin and Ovechkin).

"Tomorrow," Ovechkin said, wearing gray sweats and flip-flops after sitting out Washington's optional practice, "is going to be pretty sick."

Consider:
- Five games were won by a single goal, and the other was decided by only two goals;
- Three games went to overtime, including Washington's 5-4 victory at Pittsburgh in Game 6 on Monday night;
- Both teams led in each game, and five times the team that scored first lost. Both teams have held a series lead, with Washington up 2-0, then Pittsburgh up 3-2. And the teams have been tied or separated by one goal 92 percent of the time.

"It's lived up to the hype of the 'Super Series," Capitals forward Brooks Laich said, "and I think it's great for hockey, in general."

There are particular moments that stand out, from rookie goalie Simeon Varlamov's out-of-nowhere save on Crosby in Game 1, to the hat tricks delivered by Ovechkin and Crosby in Game 2, to the OT victories for the Penguins in Games 3 and 5 when a puck went in the goal off a Capitals defenseman.

"The star power is there, and they haven't underperformed," Washington coach Bruce Boudreau said. "It's not like you're playing in the Super Bowl, and you've got the best running back in the league going seven carries for 12 yards. There's no disappointment here."

Certainly not.

Ovechkin has 13 points (seven goals, six assists), better than two per game -- and more than anyone in the NHL has produced in any playoff series since 2003.

Crosby, meanwhile, has 10 points, and Malkin eight.

It might have been instructive for Crosby to hear what the Capitals had to say Tuesday about what they remember of their recent Game 7 experiences.

In the first round this season, they won a Game 7, coming back from a 3-1 series deficit to eliminate the New York Rangers. But in the first round a year ago,

Ovechkin's first trip to the postseason, the Capitals lost a Game 7 at home in overtime to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Asked how he felt when that game ended, Ovechkin said: "Terrible, actually. But I don't want to think about losing."

Laich was more willing to share his memories in detail.

"It honestly felt like someone had just ripped my heart out," he said. "It was the worst feeling. I don't wish it upon anyone. Your season crashes, and it's all over. That's why you fight so hard to avoid it."

Game notes
Pittsburgh D Sergei Gonchar, out since a knee-on-knee collision with Ovechkin in the first period of Game 4, skated Tuesday. He will try to play Wednesday. ... Games 5 and 6 earned FSN Pittsburgh the two highest TV ratings for any NHL game on any regional sports network. ... Boudreau planned to follow Tuesday night's Game 7 of the American Hockey League series between Washington's affiliate, Hershey, and Pittsburgh's affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, on the Internet, while also watching Game 6 of the NHL series between the Boston Bruins and Carolina Hurricanes on TV. Boudreau used to coach Hershey. The Pittsburgh-Washington winner meets the Boston-Carolina winner in the Eastern Conference finals. ... Ovechkin said he's having a hard time finding box seats to accomodate 20 or so of his friends and family Wednesday. "The box is a problem," he said, "because lots of rich people here in Washington, they're crazy about hockey." ...

Last edited by davetherave on Wed May 13, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Huge game tonight! HUGE!!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

None of the games are on NBC. They are running two installments of "Minds of Medicine" (some half-hour show, sounds like a doc), a rerun of L&O: SVU, and a new episode of L&O (the original, as if you can still say that after nearly 20 years of cast changes).

ABC will win the night easily, with three hours of Lost (the 2 hour finale preceded by a 1-hour recap). Why would NBC even bother running scripted shows? This would have been the perfect opportunity for them and for the league. They pre-empt for Obama, why not for Crosvechkin7?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:None of the games are on NBC. They are running two installments of "Minds of Medicine" (some half-hour show, sounds like a doc), a rerun of L&O: SVU, and a new episode of L&O (the original, as if you can still say that after nearly 20 years of cast changes).

ABC will win the night easily, with three hours of Lost (the 2 hour finale preceded by a 1-hour recap). Why would NBC even bother running scripted shows? This would have been the perfect opportunity for them and for the league. They pre-empt for Obama, why not for Crosvechkin7?

Doesn't NBC's contract only include weekend NHL games?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Who's airing this game in the US?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Who's airing this game in the US?

See my GDT...it's Versus.

Friggin class!!! I'll miss the 1st two periods of this, shiat.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:

I see my confusion... your GDT says MONDAY. Should be WEDNESDAY.

Wink

Complete list of broadcasters: VERSUS (HD), CBC (HD), RDS (HD), FSN-P (HD), CSN-DC (HD).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And I'm feeling a Caps win tonight.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

davetherave wrote:
wprager wrote:None of the games are on NBC. They are running two installments of "Minds of Medicine" (some half-hour show, sounds like a doc), a rerun of L&O: SVU, and a new episode of L&O (the original, as if you can still say that after nearly 20 years of cast changes).

Doesn't NBC's contract only include weekend NHL games?

Sure, but there's contract, and then there's opportunities. You think Bettman wouldn't find some loophole to let NBC air it if they wanted to? Screw Versa if there's exposure involved. And from NBC's point of view, they are *not* going to get any viewers worth counting from 9-11 (Lost 2 hours finale) so there's a new episode of L&O that's going to get slaughtered in the ratings. A hockey game is cheap (fixed cost, just grab someone else's feed) and they'd probably get more viewers from Washington/Pittsburgh than they will get with the medical shows (and they could always run it only on the East-coast).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:Friggin class!!! I'll miss the 1st two periods of this, shiat.

Class? You have class?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:And I'm feeling a Caps win tonight.

Has Fleury ever faced a game 7? They went 4-1 in the first three series and then lost in 6. So I'm pretty sure this is his first in the NHL. Don't know about the minors. This is one area where the entire Caps team, from the goal out (excluding veterans) has it over the Pens.

Speaking of vets, the Caps have 8 players over 30 on their roster. Brashear and Theodore aren't going to be playing. Probably Nylander, as well (he's played 3 games this post-season, 0 points, hasn't played since the 6th). That leaves Fedorov(38), Clark(32), Kozlov(33), Poti and Pothier (both 31).

The Pens also have 8, but at least 7 of them will be playing (Gonchar is a game-time decision). Is that enough to overcome home ice? We'll see. I'm rooting for Pittsburgh because of the pool and just so I can laugh at Malkin's girlfriend's delayed reactions again. But it's not going to be easy for either team. Unless it is.

P.S. Poti and Pothier, is that like Dumb and Dumber?

wprager wrote:

Class? You have class?

Yes, I have class. Trying to get through school a little quicker.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neely4Life wrote:
wprager wrote:

Class? You have class?

Yes, I have class. Trying to get through school a little quicker.

Uh, never mind. But please don't call anyone ignorant after that.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
davetherave wrote:

I see my confusion... your GDT says MONDAY. Should be WEDNESDAY.

Wink

Complete list of broadcasters: VERSUS (HD), CBC (HD), RDS (HD), FSN-P (HD), CSN-DC (HD).

fixed

...it's because my old GDT buddy Shabbs ain't lendin' a hand nowadays, eh... Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum