GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME OF THE DAY: New York Rangers at Washington Capitals, Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1pm ET

+7
PTFlea
Nasty Nas
LeCaptain
PKC
SensFan71
Hockeyhero22000
davetherave
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME OF THE DAY: New York Rangers at Washington Capitals, Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1pm ET NyrNY Rangers at GAME OF THE DAY: New York Rangers at Washington Capitals, Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1pm ET WasWashington

1:00 PM ET, April 18, 2009
Verizon Center, Washington, DC

NBC

Rangers-Capitals Preview

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bruce Boudreau implied, hinted and insinuated that Jose Theodore will be in goal Saturday afternoon when the Washington Capitals host the New York Rangers in Game 2 of their first-round playoff series.

The only thing the coach didn't do is say it outright.

"You'll see it in the warmup," Boudreau said. "But look at me. It's not a big surprise. Theo's our No. 1 goalie."

So it's safe to assume Theodore is playing, right?

"It's never safe," Boudreau replied, "to assume anything."

Boudreau hadn't informed either goalie of his decision as of Friday's practice, saying he'll do when he feels it's appropriate. Theodore interpreted the no news as good news.

"He didn't say anything," the 2002 league MVP said, "but I'm assuming I'm in."

It would be a stunner for Boudreau to pull Theodore after one narrow postseason loss. The 32-year-old goalie did not have the best of games Wednesday night when the Rangers won 4-3, but he played over the second half of the season as Washington secured the No. 2 seed in the playoffs.

Besides, with Brent Johnson out with a hip injury, the alternative is 20-year-old rookie Simeon Varlamov, who made his NHL debut Dec. 13 and has played in only six games.

Still, the Capitals need a better game from Theodore than they got in Game 1, when he allowed four goals in 21 shots. The Southeast Division champs, who consider themselves serious contenders for the Stanley Cup, would be in a big hole if they have to go to New York down 0-2.

Boudreau inadvertently gave more fodder to the Theodore-bashers Friday when asked about the play of his defensemen.

"We allowed 21 shots, eight scoring chances, no seconds shots," the coach said.

"That's about as good as a team can do in the NHL. I thought we played as good as we can play, and we didn't come up with it."

Translation: The Capitals defense absorbed most of the Rangers' attack before it ever reached the goalie.

Boudreau was unquestionably on message when discussing another developing saga from Game 1: the gamesmanship between the two coaches over the officiating.

Rangers coach John Tortorella got it started Thursday when asked about a hit left wing Fredrik Sjostrom took from Capitals defenseman Mike Green. Tortorella answered by referring to the holding penalty that sent defenseman Dan Girardi to the box in the game's first minute.

"You've got the Dan Girardi penalty at the beginning of the game, and was that a non-call? I believe it was," Tortorella said. "I just don't get it sometimes."
On Friday, Boudreau responded by saying he felt the Rangers got off lightly.

"I thought if everything was done properly, they should have had 12 or 13 penalties instead of the seven they had," Boudreau said. "In my humble opinion, the Mike Green thing was a penalty. They scored their second goal when they slashed (Shaone) Morrisonn's stick and broke it. It's tough for referees to get them all, but I definitely think they got the benefit of it."

A couple of hours later, after the Rangers' practice, it was Tortorella's turn. Asked about the Capitals' dominance in the face-off circles -- Washington won an astonishing 70 percent (46 of 66) of the draws in Game 1 -- the coach said he noticed a few no-nos in his review of the tape.

"I just want to make sure the faceoffs are legal," Tortorella said. "The tying up and kicking can't be done until the puck hits the ice."

Game notes
Jeff Schultz, the Capitals defenseman who fell to the ice just before Brandon Dubinsky scored the winning goal on Wednesday, missed practice with an undisclosed injury. Brian Pothier, who was scratched for Game 1, will play Saturday if Schultz can't. ... Rangers captain Chris Drury, who sat out Game 1 with an undisclosed injury, practiced and looks ready to play. "I feel better than yesterday. Hopefully, it'll feel even better tomorrow," Drury said. ... While Tortorella set a serious tone at the Rangers' practice, the Capitals had some fun by wrapping up their workout with a shootout competition. "You can't, when you lose a game in a seven-game series, sit and drag your chin down on the ground," Boudreau said.

GAME OF THE DAY: New York Rangers at Washington Capitals, Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1pm ET Ranger11

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i hope this game is as good as the last one was

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:i hope this game is as good as the last one was

Washington fans will just be hoping for Theodore to make a clutch save or two, if they are even starting him.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Big game for both teams...pressure is on the Caps.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I will be watching with extreme interest to say the least.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

More pregame coach trash talk...LOL :^^^^:

"They won the game and the only thing he (Tortorella) did was cry about the two [areas] we won—faceoffs and a penalty. He’s playing the whole game, and it’s pretty lame, quite frankly.

"He’s talking about Nicky Backstrom, who was 48-percent. He was one of the worst centermen the first half of the year in faceoffs altogether.

"We went in and I talked to the league and the league said they are perfectly legal. So he’s just crying right now. It’s a dumb thing to cry about. We’re told not to do this, but he’s trying to play the gamesmanship and get the referees on their side. ...Give us a break.”

-Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau via Tarik El-Bashir of Capitals Insider.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

VArlamov is in net for the caps!!!!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:VArlamov is in net for the caps!!!!

wow, even though Theodore had a bad game, I still didn't expect this one, maybe I should have though Laughing3

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Big game for both teams...pressure is on the Theodore.

Fixed Facepalm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:VArlamov is in net for the caps!!!!

Really makes you question what they were thinking when they signed
Theodore. Besides Redden that has to be the worst off
season acquisition this past year. The guy is terrible.

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:

Fixed Facepalm

Fixed by Varlamov?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:
marakh wrote:

Fixed Facepalm

Fixed by Varlamov?

Yes Laughing3

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

puck drop, 5 minutes and counting, and I go on lunch when the game begins, whoo hoo lol.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

this should be interesting varlamov only played 6 games this year i havent seen him play any have any ideas how good he is

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Hockeyhero22000 wrote:this should be interesting varlamov only played 6 games this year i havent seen him play any have any ideas how good he is

I think to be worse than Theodore is a rarity, so they have a good chance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum