GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Bryan Murray: "The guy we're scouting could be better than Hedman"

Bryan Murray: "The guy we're scouting could be better than Hedman"

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/checking/2009-03-30-murray-qna_N.htm

Be ready for the off-season - it appears Bryan Murray sure as heck is:

Murray: We had won about three in a row, and my head scout Pierre Dorion came back from a scouting trip and told me, "(You'd) better go see some (of these) guys." So (we) flew over to Europe to see a guy who is later in the draft.

And?

Murray: We think there might be another defenseman who could better than Hedman. He's not as ready, but we think he could end up being better.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson is the most plausible.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
That would be freakin' fantastic news for the organisation. So I assume this means that by the time Karlsson is comfortable as our number 1 this new guy will be getting his feet wet? So a top 3 D of Karlsson Weircioch and Mystery D man? Things are looking up big time.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Cap'n Clutch wrote:That would be freakin' fantastic news for the organisation. So I assume this means that by the time Karlsson is comfortable as our number 1 this new guy will be getting his feet wet? So a top 3 D of Karlsson Weircioch and Mystery D man? Things are looking up big time.

Oh yeah, for sure! Dorion and Forsberg form a very, very talented duo of pro-scouts. They're smart enough to realize the rest of the league is watching everyone really closely, but just wily enough to keep their cards really close to their vests and wait until the pick time is at hand and swoop someone out of another team's grasps (Karlsson).

If they're saying it, it's not hyperbole, it's true. And we should all start to get a little more excited. Especially if they feel they can do it without us moving up in the draft - which would be costly - what an added bonus that would be!

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
This is great news!! and all the more reason why I think Murray is trying to show Melnyk that although the head coach thing is my fault, THIS is my bread and butter, and you and the fans will NOT be disappointed...

I actually feel a little more optimistic for this off-season. Of course, as always, I'll have to wait and see what actually goes down...

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.

OEL or Runblad are the two best d-men in Europe, but I don't think either approach VH(4)1.

The only defenceman in this draft that right now looks like he'd have any chance of being as good is Cowen, IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
^ Remember Asq, you're dealing with Forsberg and Dorion here... Smile They can pick these guys with the best of them (well perhaps not the BEST of them, but close).

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:^ Remember Asq, you're dealing with Forsberg and Dorion here... Smile They can pick these guys with the best of them (well perhaps not the BEST of them, but close).

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of confidence in our staff and certainly hope I'm proven wrong in this regard.

But I'd avoid comparisons like that, because fans will almost certainly set themselves up for disappointment. I remember Leaf fans going crazy over Stralman (citing the Swedish coach who said he could be the next Lidstrom) and then Kulemin, after all the comparisons to Malkin and AO.

Granted, it's not exactly the same thing.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of confidence in our staff and certainly hope I'm proven wrong in this regard.

But I'd avoid comparisons like that, because fans will almost certainly set themselves up for disappointment. I remember Leaf fans going crazy over Stralman (citing the Swedish coach who said he could be the next Lidstrom) and then Kulemin, after all the comparisons to Malkin and AO.

Quite true. Can't argue with that.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
To be honest, taking OEL seems reminscient of the 2005 draft.

But, we'll just have to wait and see.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:To be honest, taking OEL seems reminscient of the 2005 draft.

Facepalm I'm regretting that now more than ever. But...we can't dwell on it I guest.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:To be honest, taking OEL seems reminscient of the 2005 draft.

Facepalm I'm regretting that now more than ever. But...we can't dwell on it I guest.

But we should learn from past mistakes.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
504Heater wrote:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/checking/2009-03-30-murray-qna_N.htm

Be ready for the off-season - it appears Bryan Murray sure as heck is:

Murray: We had won about three in a row, and my head scout Pierre Dorion came back from a scouting trip and told me, "(You'd) better go see some (of these) guys." So (we) flew over to Europe to see a guy who is later in the draft.

And?

Murray: We think there might be another defenseman who could better than Hedman. He's not as ready, but we think he could end up being better.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson is the most plausible.

I am hoping that everything that is said between Murray and his scouts about this mystery D-man that could be better than hedman is true, because well, yes, Hedman is ready to go now I imagine, but with his concussions, tha that has to be a huge risk, rather take a player 1 year or two slower developping, but going to be completely healthy.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:^ Remember Asq, you're dealing with Forsberg and Dorion here... Smile They can pick these guys with the best of them (well perhaps not the BEST of them, but close).

I'm sorry, but isn't that exactly the kind of hyperbole we're hearing about Hedman? He didn't impress and, while being injured may have had something to do with it, I'm pretty sure I'd heard or read that he's *not* a Pronger type. We already have a pretty tall defenseman who's not physical despite his size. Kuba's pretty good (the added height certainly give him advantage in being able to see more of the playing field) but he's not a generational defenseman. And neither is Hedman. Until he is, of course Smile

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:I'm sorry, but isn't that exactly the kind of hyperbole we're hearing about Hedman? He didn't impress and, while being injured may have had something to do with it, I'm pretty sure I'd heard or read that he's *not* a Pronger type. We already have a pretty tall defenseman who's not physical despite his size. Kuba's pretty good (the added height certainly give him advantage in being able to see more of the playing field) but he's not a generational defenseman. And neither is Hedman. Until he is, of course Smile

Well, you've got me there. But in the same interview, Murray refers to Hedman (and Tavares) as franchise-type guys. I don't think he's hinting at Hedman busting - rather his intention is to make OEL or whomever it is seem as good as possible.

As for comparing Kuba and Hedman: if Hedman approaches his potential, it's a bit like comparing Hal Gill to Zdeno Chara.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
All I can say is: DAMN.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum