GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will Alfredsson get a new contract?

4 posters

Will Alfredsson and Murray renegotiate a new contract?

Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Vote_lcap280%Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Vote_rcap2 80% [ 8 ]
Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Vote_lcap220%Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Vote_rcap2 20% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:08 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey all,

As you all know there is an Opt out provision in Alfredsson's contract. Do you think Murray renegotiates a better deal for both sides and avoids this situation all together or do you think he rolls the dice and takes a wait and see attitude? What kind of deal do you think Murray makes if both sides decide to renegotiate?

2Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Hey all,

As you all know there is an Opt out provision in Alfredsson's contract. Do you think Murray renegotiates a better deal for both sides and avoids this situation all together or do you think he rolls the dice and takes a wait and see attitude? What kind of deal do you think Murray makes if both sides decide to renegotiate?

alright, while many will think this is NOT possible, I want to put my bias aside for a moment...

I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Alfie wishes to retire a Senator... PLUS, if Murray goes down as the GM who let 'Ottawa's endeared Captain walk', well, we all know what follows...

But seriously, I figure they will renegotiate a mutually exclusive contract that will Alfie a bump in pay, but that will also NOT handcuff Murray or the team other important acquisitions can be made.

My 2 cents.

3Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 am

Cronenbergfan wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Hey all,

alright, while many will think this is NOT possible, I want to put my bias aside for a moment...

I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that Alfie wishes to retire a Senator... PLUS, if Murray goes down as the GM who let 'Ottawa's endeared Captain walk', well, we all know what follows...

But seriously, I figure they will renegotiate a mutually exclusive contract that will Alfie a bump in pay, but that will also NOT handcuff Murray or the team other important acquisitions can be made.

My 2 cents.

Murray is pretty schrewd. He knows that Alfie wants to retire here and that we have him for a song (in NHL terms) if he doesn't meet some performance and GP criteria. I think he will see what happens this year. Best case Alfie misses his marks by 1 pt and 1 GP and we have him for less than someone is paying Hainsey, I still can't believe that. Worst case he meets his numbers and we have to give him a reasonable deal in NHL terms. Likely that deal will only eat the cap jump between this year and next.

4Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Alfredsson is vastly underpaid and the majority of the top players are grossly overpaid, but that's my opinion.

Alfredsson was the player that refused to be paid when the team was going bankrupt and while I'm sure he'd enjoy a bit more money, will he opt out for a new contract? I say he'll stick it out for the team.

5Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If the ushers came around with a hat at home games I'd be willing to put some of my own hard-earned money for Alfie. Does he need more? No, none of them do, not even the ones making league minimum (as long as they have a nice and long career). But just to make things right, they definitely should re-negotiate. Maybe give $3M to some charities in his name -- that would be a great PR move.

Melnyk could also hire him to a personal services contract when he retires, or give him some shares in the team/SBP as a retirement gift.

6Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:08 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:If the ushers came around with a hat at home games I'd be willing to put some of my own hard-earned money for Alfie. Does he need more? No, none of them do, not even the ones making league minimum (as long as they have a nice and long career). But just to make things right, they definitely should re-negotiate. Maybe give $3M to some charities in his name -- that would be a great PR move.

Melnyk could also hire him to a personal services contract when he retires, or give him some shares in the team/SBP as a retirement gift.

Great ideas. I tend believe that Murray will work out a new deal during the season and finalise it after Gerber's money is off the books.

7Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:
Great ideas. I tend believe that Murray will work out a new deal during the season and finalise it after Gerber's money is off the books.

That's assuming Elliott can take over #1 by then. If not, Gerber's money will be spent on another #1.

8Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Empty Re: Will Alfredsson get a new contract? Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n' Clutch wrote:

That's assuming Elliott can take over #1 by then. If not, Gerber's money will be spent on another #1.

Good point. I figure Elliott will be ready by then.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum