GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » Metropolitan » Pittsburgh Penguins » Pittsburgh - Right where they should be?

Pittsburgh - Right where they should be?

+5
PTFlea
Nasty Nas
TheAvatar
Mojo
Cap'n Clutch
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Pittsburgh - Right where they should be? Empty Pittsburgh - Right where they should be? Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:46 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I do fully understand I am biased so take my views with a grain of salt. I predicted a poor showing by the Penguins this season and things are right about where I expected for this team. I had said losing guys like Malone, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts among others may not seem significant but these are the types of players every team needs. You didn't just lose a fighter or a leader or a grinder that can score or a pest - You lost all of those things. Not only that but there's a lot of turnover to deal with right there. Of course Pittsburgh can still turn this around and missing guys like Gonchar to start the season didn't help either. I suspect that Pittsburgh will be right about where they are now when the dust settles.

- Unknown Author

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie
It's possible, but I don't see them being behind Carolina and Buffalo by the end of the season. I agree with you though, losing all of those role players can be devastating to a team, just look at Ottawa.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I definitely can't accurately predict the future but I'm willing to eat crow if I'm wrong.

- Unknown Author

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
how do you like your crow? Broiled, boiled, bbq'ed ?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I prefer poached in a white wine sauce Wink

- Unknown Author

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie
haha I wouldn't get too caught up with this little rut they are in right now. Pitts is very streaky and Im quite confident they'll put together a ridiculous winning streak or quality record over a vast amount of games as in prior years. I don't think they are close to contending for the cup this year by any means but they are in my eyes a playoff team.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Like I said. I am biased and I'm also willing to eat crow on this.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
They have nothing anymore. Two superstar centers, a couple of good wingers, but no depth, shaky D - even with Gonchar and a goalie who teased everyone with being good - when he's average at best.

They're not the first team to eat it because of the salary cap and they won't be the last (Montreal, Washington, Boston are just three examples).

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
504Heater wrote:They have nothing anymore. Two superstar centers, a couple of good wingers, but no depth, shaky D - even with Gonchar and a goalie who teased everyone with being good - when he's average at best.

They're not the first team to eat it because of the salary cap and they won't be the last (Montreal, Washington, Boston are just three examples).

Good to see I'm not the only one with this oppinion :D

- Unknown Author

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Good to see I'm not the only one with this oppinion :D

Oh no. I called this one back in the summer, over at the "other" site.

PIT appears to be going *exactly* the same cycle as OTT did after their 2007 SCF run. I'm guessing PIT will just squeak into the playoffs and get rubbed out, and then go into full-blown suck mode the next year.

Not that I blame them, or their players. With this new CBA, success is pretty much a guarantee that your team is going to go on the decline shortly after. Even DET won't be immune for much longer. This year coming up is the first one where they have to deal with multiple young, great players hitting UFA -- who they'll either have to pay, and so cripple the team in other places, or let them walk.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Anyone still surprised at where the Penguins are right now? Anyone think they can make it into the playoffs?

- Unknown Author

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran
Like I mentionned in the other post. I strongly belive they will still make the playoff as the 8th seed.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran
Pittsburgh will get a winger to play with Crybaby, who is a crybaby with mad skill, and they will get in the playoffs.

Do they have the depth to go far. Nah. Do they have the goaltending to go far, definitely no. Will they make it in. Yes.

Some one pointed out that they are 1 year behind in Ottawa's cycle. Could not agree more.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
beedub wrote:Pittsburgh will get a winger to play with Crybaby, who is a crybaby with mad skill, and they will get in the playoffs.

Do they have the depth to go far. Nah. Do they have the goaltending to go far, definitely no. Will they make it in. Yes.

Some one pointed out that they are 1 year behind in Ottawa's cycle. Could not agree more.

I don't think they will get that star to play with Crosby. They've already cleaned out the cupboards once with Hossa. By all means do it again but they can't afford to as is. Personally I think the Canes make it in and the only way the Pens make it is if NYR continues to implode.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
OK so I'm sitting here choking down a huge chunk of Crow as the Penguins sit in 5th in the East with little doubt they'll make the playoffs. I still think they're in trouble and will have a tough first round with Philly looking for revenge.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum