GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

HNIC song entry that doesn't suck (alot of the other entries really do suck)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

Check it out!

http://anthemchallenge.cbc.ca/mediadetail/313777

Snuh wrote:Check it out!

Too long, too repetitive. :x

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Yea, that is a little better than most I've heard so far.

I wouldn't worry about the length, Tukker; these things always get shortened, re-arranged, and re-recorded for broadcast.

Have I mentioned, however, how much I'm STILL fuming at the combined idiocy and arrogance that lost us the song in the first place? I mean, the sheer negligence that cost Canada an 40-year-old tradition! the sheer audacity of the idea that you can just go out and buy up 40 years of cultural capital and attach it to your name with the help of a big, fat cheque! I'll mute every single TSN/CTV broadcast that uses it, just because I refuse to condone this sordid attempt to buy up culture and tradition, and make it their own.

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:

Yea, that is a little better than most I've heard so far.

I wouldn't worry about the length, Tukker; these things always get shortened, re-arranged, and re-recorded for broadcast.

Have I mentioned, however, how much I'm STILL fuming at the combined idiocy and arrogance that lost us the song in the first place? I mean, the sheer negligence that cost Canada an 40-year-old tradition! the sheer audacity of the idea that you can just go out and buy up 40 years of cultural capital and attach it to your name with the help of a big, fat cheque! I'll mute every single TSN/CTV broadcast that uses it, just because I refuse to condone this sordid attempt to buy up culture and tradition, and make it their own.

Yup, whatever song is picked will be re-recorded and arranged at the CBC studios in Toronto. The original song clocked in at just over 1 minute, so this one is pretty good time wise, and it's got that sweet Danger Bay style ending!

As for the origional song, I hear where you're coming from, Rooney, but in CTV/TSN's defense, the song was for sale by the artist, they just did what CBC was unwilling to do.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Snuh wrote:

Yup, whatever song is picked will be re-recorded and arranged at the CBC studios in Toronto. The original song clocked in at just over 1 minute, so this one is pretty good time wise, and it's got that sweet Danger Bay style ending!

As for the origional song, I hear where you're coming from, Rooney, but in CTV/TSN's defense, the song was for sale by the artist, they just did what CBC was unwilling to do.

Oh, I understand that perfect well. I actually have a friend who works for CBC sports and she kept me up to speed on things as they happened, and afterwards. By her account, many people at CBC were really, really steamed about the whole way CTV/TSN conducted the affair.

The truth is that CBC's contract expired with the song-writer and, something like 2-3 days later, CTV/TSN, as a private institution in command of more capital than CBC can muster for these things, swooped in with a fistful of cash and bought the rights for the song. And as their press release the next day said, they bought it up with the intention of using it as the intro song for their hockey and other sporting broadcasts.

Ostensibly, as they claimed in that press release, they were 'saving' the song from being silenced and continuing the tradition. It's is a nice, feel-good spin to the story that you can tell the kiddies, the newspapers, and yourself, I suppose -- but any sensible person can see what went down. CBC improvidently allowed the wildly popular theme-song of its wildly popular flagship program to lapse out of its rights; CTV/TSN, seeing the opportunity to both strike a blow against their main competitors (especially in the Canadian hockey-watching market, of which CBC has long had an important stake in the market) AND to attach that big bank of cultural capital to themselves, quickly intervened, coughed up more cash than CBC could afford, and ran away with the song claiming they'd 'saved' it.

CTV/TSN was certainly well within its rights and there were no laws broken -- but that doesn't make the affair any more pleasant or ethical. The whole thing stinks of sordid, self-interested opportunism. I can't think of a more glaring instance of conniving and dishonest behavior than buying up the tradition that your competitor has built up over years and years -- one that has effectively become a national institution -- and then trying to attach it to, of all things, your hockey broadcast, which competes with the CBC's. CTV/TSN is out of the f'ing mind if they think that playing that song on their broadcasts is going to resonate in the same way that it did for CBC, or if they think that they'll be able to play it anytime in the next 20 years without raising the ire of fans like me who deeply resent them for pooping all over a great Canadian tradition.

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:
Snuh wrote:

Oh, I understand that perfect well. I actually have a friend who works for CBC sports and she kept me up to speed on things as they happened, and afterwards. By her account, many people at CBC were really, really steamed about the whole way CTV/TSN conducted the affair.

The truth is that CBC's contract expired with the song-writer and, something like 2-3 days later, CTV/TSN, as a private institution in command of more capital than CBC can muster for these things, swooped in with a fistful of cash and bought the rights for the song. And as their press release the next day said, they bought it up with the intention of using it as the intro song for their hockey and other sporting broadcasts.

Ostensibly, as they claimed in that press release, they were 'saving' the song from being silenced and continuing the tradition. It's is a nice, feel-good spin to the story that you can tell the kiddies, the newspapers, and yourself, I suppose -- but any sensible person can see what went down. CBC improvidently allowed the wildly popular theme-song of its wildly popular flagship program to lapse out of its rights; CTV/TSN, seeing the opportunity to both strike a blow against their main competitors (especially in the Canadian hockey-watching market, of which CBC has long had an important stake in the market) AND to attach that big bank of cultural capital to themselves, quickly intervened, coughed up more cash than CBC could afford, and ran away with the song claiming they'd 'saved' it.

CTV/TSN was certainly well within its rights and there were no laws broken -- but that doesn't make the affair any more pleasant or ethical. The whole thing stinks of sordid, self-interested opportunism. I can't think of a more glaring instance of conniving and dishonest behavior than buying up the tradition that your competitor has built up over years and years -- one that has effectively become a national institution -- and then trying to attach it to, of all things, your hockey broadcast, which competes with the CBC's. CTV/TSN is out of the f'ing mind if they think that playing that song on their broadcasts is going to resonate in the same way that it did for CBC, or if they think that they'll be able to play it anytime in the next 20 years without raising the ire of fans like me who deeply resent them for pooping all over a great Canadian tradition.

Thats the way the game is played in the private sector I guess. It's a capitalist society and that's the way it goes, unfortunate as it may be.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Snuh wrote:

Thats the way the game is played in the private sector I guess. It's a capitalist society and that's the way it goes, unfortunate as it may be.

I suppose. That doesn't make me feel any better about the situation, tho'.

I'm frankly surprised at how dispassionately and noiselessly HNIC followers have responded to this cultlural hijacking. I would have expected, for instance, an internet movement to encourage a voluntary, nation-wide boycotting of CTV/TSN broadcasts that feature the song to pressure them into reconsidering. Or perhaps advertisers stepping up to exert some pressure on the company, as happened to the CBC when they were having contract issues with Ron McLean and Don Cherry. All I saw in this instance, however, was one week of mild displeasure, and then a return to business as usual. That saddens me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
Snuh wrote:

I suppose. That doesn't make me feel any better about the situation, tho'.

I'm frankly surprised at how dispassionately and noiselessly HNIC followers have responded to this cultlural hijacking. I would have expected, for instance, an internet movement to encourage a voluntary, nation-wide boycotting of CTV/TSN broadcasts that feature the song to pressure them into reconsidering. Or perhaps advertisers stepping up to exert some pressure on the company, as happened to the CBC when they were having contract issues with Ron McLean and Don Cherry. All I saw in this instance, however, was one week of mild displeasure, and then a return to business as usual. That saddens me.

Well, I, for one, had never heard the story you just presented. I am sure that I am in the majority. Frankly, if Gretzky's trade could prompt the Opposition Party Leader to demand the government take action, why not the same here? They could have easily (and rightfully) claimed that the tune is part of the National Heritage and, as such, under certain protection.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's my candidate for the new HNIC theme song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQ4DNA7JBU&eurl=http://scarlettice.blogspot.com/2008/08/sunday-reflections-im-ready-for-hockey.html

🤡 just clowning around.

P.S. Why am I have issues embedding clips?

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Well, I, for one, had never heard the story you just presented. I am sure that I am in the majority. Frankly, if Gretzky's trade could prompt the Opposition Party Leader to demand the government take action, why not the same here? They could have easily (and rightfully) claimed that the tune is part of the National Heritage and, as such, under certain protection.

Which story is that? The one about Ron MacLean? That one was followed by the national media for weeks. Contract talks between CBC and MacLean broke down in 2001-02, and it looked like MacLean was out the door. Huge public outcry followed, and Molson, if I remember correctly, threatened to pull out of its advertising arrangement with HNIC if the situation wasn't resolved satisfactorily. MacLean was given a contract shortly thereafter.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Here's my candidate for the new HNIC theme song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQ4DNA7JBU&eurl=http://scarlettice.blogspot.com/2008/08/sunday-reflections-im-ready-for-hockey.html

🤡 just clowning around.

P.S. Why am I have issues embedding clips?

at the bottom of the reply (Options) you may need to disable HTML or BBCode?

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum