GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stefan Legein quits hockey

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:13 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And just like that...Columbus loses one of their top 10 prospects.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246953&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

2Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:05 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:And just like that...Columbus loses one of their top 10 prospects.

Weird....

3Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:
504Heater wrote:And just like that...Columbus loses one of their top 10 prospects.

Weird....

Cold feet? Could happen ... to a hockey player.

4Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was thinking cold feet or an anxiety disorder. That happens to a lot of people.

5Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Apparently there was a history of this. One poster suggested that he did this in Bantam, and his father forced him back to hockey. Another claimed (second hand info, so consider it for what it's worth) that the kid was smoking, and tended to cut practice because he already had grown weary of hockey, and was only doing it so his dad would get off his back.

Too much parental pressure? or too much societal/coaching pressure?

But how did the combine before the draft not pick this up?

6Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:13 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:Apparently there was a history of this. One poster suggested that he did this in Bantam, and his father forced him back to hockey. Another claimed (second hand info, so consider it for what it's worth) that the kid was smoking, and tended to cut practice because he already had grown weary of hockey, and was only doing it so his dad would get off his back.

I'd believe it. A friend I grew up with in high school had the same thing with his dad. He grew up playing with guys like Ben Eager and other local kids, but he wasn't big into staying in hockey and pursuing a pro career (he's more into golf now), but man did his dad give him a hard time about it. Almost messed him up mentally because he was so adamant that he keep playing hockey.

7Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:Apparently there was a history of this. One poster suggested that he did this in Bantam, and his father forced him back to hockey. Another claimed (second hand info, so consider it for what it's worth) that the kid was smoking, and tended to cut practice because he already had grown weary of hockey, and was only doing it so his dad would get off his back.

Judging by the quotes I was reading today, it certainly sounds like his dad is the kind of figure you're suggesting. Quotes from Scott Howson say something to the effect of "Legein's agent has informed me that he's not coming to camp" but quotes from the father say "that that's not the case, and nothing is resolved until the first day of camp." To me, it sounds like Legein has made up his mind, but that his dad is hoping to change it.

Either way, it's really too bad. The guy has loads of talent and was great for us during the Canada-Russia series, and it'd be a shame if he's had enough of hockey -- but no sense in him doing what he doesn't want to do because of outside pressure, either. Best of luck to him.

8Stefan Legein quits hockey Empty Re: Stefan Legein quits hockey Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

Judging by the quotes I was reading today, it certainly sounds like his dad is the kind of figure you're suggesting. Quotes from Scott Howson say something to the effect of "Legein's agent has informed me that he's not coming to camp" but quotes from the father say "that that's not the case, and nothing is resolved until the first day of camp." To me, it sounds like Legein has made up his mind, but that his dad is hoping to change it.

Either way, it's really too bad. The guy has loads of talent and was great for us during the Canada-Russia series, and it'd be a shame if he's had enough of hockey -- but no sense in him doing what he doesn't want to do because of outside pressure, either. Best of luck to him.

All I can say is that it should be up to the kid; I just hope that he still has enough options left open to him so that he can make a decent living for himself in a way that he is happy. I also hope that he isn't screwed up too much by his parents' meddling.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum