GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Rant 'n' Rave » Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

76Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:16 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
This particular place wasn't a dealership but just a used car lot. The tobacco odor bothered me a lot more than I thought it would. I'm thinking now I stick it through the summer and then when the fall comes the dealers will have a lot more trade ins with the 2020s coming in. At that point I could try one of those "As Is" cars and have my garage test it.

I'm also trying to reach the sales guy at Myers who sold us our last two cars. Maybe he's on vacation.

77Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Cap'n Clutch


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:This particular place wasn't a dealership but just a used car lot. The tobacco odor bothered me a lot more than I thought it would. I'm thinking now I stick it through the summer and then when the fall comes the dealers will have a lot more trade ins with the 2020s coming in.  At that point I could try one of those "As Is" cars and have my garage test it.

I'm also trying to reach the sales guy at Myers who sold us our last two cars. Maybe he's on vacation.

If they're not a licensed (OMVIC) dealer then steer clear.

78Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:29 am

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
I'm now setting my sights on hybrids. Daughter was on my case to reduce my carbon footprint (of course reducing the number of times per week that *she* is out of the house and needs a drive to and/or from wasn't in the equation).

79Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Do yourself a favour and get the brand new Chevy Volt plugin hybrid with the 5000 federal rebate.  Very nice car plenty of electric range considering you can plug in at work even in the winter.  I had a 2014 Volt and was able to make it from Carp road to Tunney's Pasture all on electric in the dead of winter.  The new ones have over 90kms of range on a single charge.

They discontinued production of them so there should be some nice incentives on them right now to get rid of the last of them.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

80Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:25 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
That's not in my price range. I don't want monthly payments. Besides the depreciation on a $40K car is well over the $5K rebate even just driving it off the lot.

If they had a demo (not registered so stop eligible for the rebate - I assume) then maybe. But even then it would likely be well outside my range.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

81Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:22 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:That's not in my price range. I don't want monthly payments. Besides the depreciation on a $40K car is well over the $5K rebate even just driving it off the lot.

If they had a demo (not registered so stop eligible for the rebate - I assume) then maybe. But even then it would likely be well outside my range.

Then Lease it. You pay depreciation as part of your payment and only HST on the amount leased.
As the saying goes - Buy what appreciates and lease what depreciates.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

82Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Are you saying that, because of the 13% HST it is advantageous to lease versus buying? I can see that happening, yes. But I'm still not convinced that buying/leasing a brand new car is more cost effective than buying a used car. If it was a commute car, no problem. But our other car is at 165K already so it's likely this "new" one will become the family car. Staying under 20k per year will be impossible. Same reason I cannot go full EV.

I'm looking at a 2013 Prius C with the upgrade package and under 80,500km. Dressier sorry said he wouldn't go higher than $350 on my trade in. If he's not willing to go higher on the trade in he's not going to be willing to go lower on the price. With the trade in and taxes it will be just under $14K. It's a good price, sure, but a Prius just doesn't give me the same feeling as sitting with a little more panache. Used to know a Prius driver - nice guy, but he drank tea.

So an I correct in assuming he won't budge on the price or is he just trying to play hardball?

I can wait. I think there will be a lot more returns over the next month or two. More choices as well as more pressure to move units.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

83Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:13 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Are you saying that, because of the 13% HST it is advantageous to lease versus buying? I can see that happening, yes. But I'm still not convinced that buying/leasing a brand new car is more cost effective than buying a used car.  If it was a commute car, no problem. But our other car is at 165K already so it's likely this "new" one will become the family car. Staying under 20k per year will be impossible. Same reason I cannot go full EV.

I'm looking at a 2013 Prius C with the upgrade package and under 80,500km. Dressier sorry said he wouldn't go higher than $350 on my trade in. If he's not willing to go higher on the trade in he's not going to be willing to go lower on the price. With the trade in and taxes it will be just under $14K.  It's a good price, sure, but a Prius just doesn't give me the same feeling as sitting with a little more panache. Used to know a Prius driver - nice guy, but he drank tea.

So an I correct in assuming he won't budge on the price or is he just trying to play hardball?

I can wait. I think there will be a lot more returns over the next month or two. More choices as well as more pressure to move units.

I'd say kick the trade, get your tax write off for the donation, then negotiate the price of the vehicle. Don't expect much movement though on a car at that price.

As for leasing you can get up to 160,000kms on a lease term. All of our leases get quoted starting at 24,000kms per year. If you buy the kms up front, you pay 10 cents a km. If you pay for them at the end they're 16 cents for every km over what you agreed to.

If you finance then you pay for those high kms when you try to trade it in.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

84Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Ok, back to pick your brain again.

2011 Jetta Highline, 107k

Or:

2014 Chevy Cruze, loaded, with nearly 142k

Both cars are loaded (leather, heated seats, electric everything, sunroof). Cruze has a backup camera. Haven't compared sound systems, but I mostly listen to talk radio anyway.

Both are very similarly priced. Both diesel. The Cruze recently lowered the asking price but it's still above market. I don't love the Jetta's color (brown). But, then, I don't love the Cruze's color (grey) either.

I swore I wouldn't buy another GM, do there's that.

Thoughts?


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

85Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:53 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Also, is there a better site than autotrader.ca to search for cars? I tried ca.cargurus.com and find it awkward. Autotrader is not perfect, either. Won't save my sort preference with a saved search.

I wish Facebook marketplace had a better filtering scheme. I can *search* for "hybrid car" across all of marketplace and they gives me mostly non-hybrids, but I can't filter a vehicle search on fuel type.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

86Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
P.S. Go Bianca!


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

87Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
wprager wrote:P.S. Go Bianca!

#SheTheNorth

Serena: best player of all time, top-ten worst loser of all time.

“I love Bianca and she’s a great girl but I think this is the worst match I’ve played all tournament.”


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

88Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:09 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Ok, back to pick your brain again.

2011 Jetta Highline, 107k

Or:

2014 Chevy Cruze, loaded, with nearly 142k

Both cars are loaded (leather, heated seats, electric everything, sunroof). Cruze has a backup camera. Haven't compared sound systems, but I mostly listen to talk radio anyway.

Both are very similarly priced. Both diesel. The Cruze recently lowered the asking price but it's still above market. I don't love the Jetta's color (brown). But, then, I don't love the Cruze's color (grey) either.

I swore I wouldn't buy another GM, do there's that.

Thoughts?

There will be next to no wiggle room in the Cruze because they've dropped the price already and it's probably not priced very high to start. I'd say, all things being equal, go with the lower kms Jetta. That thing was barely driven and should be in good shape.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

89Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:45 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:
wprager wrote:P.S. Go Bianca!

#SheTheNorth

Serena: best player of all time, top-ten worst loser of all time.

“I love Bianca and she’s a great girl but I think this is the worst match I’ve played all tournament.”

Yeah, Serena's never been a good loser, but she did play a little poorly, with a lot of double faults.

Bianca's great. What a beast.

90Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Bianca broke her very early in S1. Serena realized that she would need to get an ace because she was likely to lose a volley. That's why she had so many second serves. She had absolutely no trouble in the semis.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

91Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Today at 4:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
One more, Clutch:

2014 Kia Optima hybrid with 121k or the 2011 Jetta with 107k? The Jetta is a diesel so fuel efficiency is pretty close.

The Kia is in Brockville while the Jetta is here in Stittsville. The Jetta is $1K less. The Kia is a daily rental car.

I'm leaning to the Jetta.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

92Guy Smiley - Page 6 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Today at 4:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
If only the Jetta wasn't brown Sad


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum