GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guy Smiley

+3
PTFlea
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

46Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:51 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Well my car keeps starting. Sometime takes a couple tries. I figure with an 11 km commute if it starts taking 2-3 cranks each time I probably don't want to wait till winter. But on the other hand it usually starts on the first crank on colder days, so who knows.

47Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Well my car keeps starting. Sometime takes a couple tries. I figure with an 11 km commute if it starts taking 2-3 cranks each time I probably don't want to wait till winter. But on the other hand it usually starts on the first crank on colder days, so who knows.

Drive it into the ground then I say. Just don't put any money into it in repairs.

48Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:45 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My best suggestion is find a friend who's a Car Sales Manager and get them to find you a really nice car at wholesale. It'll save you a couple grand depending on what you get.

49Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'll ping the guy who sold us our last two cars (one new, one coming off a lease). But I don't want a new car and in pretty sure that's all there salesmen care about. Trade ins go to the auction.

Although I've seen a lot of FB marketplace ads lately with "as is" cars from dealers. They hold on to trade ins for 30 days before going to auction, selling them with a great big "as is, no guarantee" warning. The warning sounds scary but it's just a mandated statement.

Any chance I could get as good a deal on one of these cars versus getting a private sale?

50Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:I'll ping the guy who sold us our last two cars (one new, one coming off a lease). But I don't want a new car and in pretty sure that's all there salesmen care about. Trade ins go to the auction.

Although I've seen a lot of FB marketplace ads lately with "as is" cars from dealers. They hold on to trade ins for 30 days before going to auction, selling them with a great big "as is, no guarantee" warning. The warning sounds scary but it's just a mandated statement.

Any chance I could get as good a deal on one of these cars versus getting a private sale?

Depending on the vehicle we will keep it and sell it ourselves. You will get a better deal with a trade in because you're only paying tax on the difference and that's only going to happen at a dealership. Private sale or dealer purchase it's all about buying the vehicle at retail. That's why I suggested if you have a friend that's a sales manager they could get you a vehicle at wholesale.

I personally wouldn't buy an as is vehicle because I'm not a mechanic and can't tell if or what will go wrong. Chances are also good that those "as is" vehicles at a dealership are that way because the cost to recondition them was too high therefore that's all work you'll be stuck paying for down the road.

- Unknown Author

51Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

When you mentioned "trade in" did you mean me buying someone's trade-in or me bringing my car in as a trade-in? I didn't think they would want a trade in from me ones in buying new or loaner.

Or are you saying someone brings in a trade in and gets $5k as trade in allowance; they sell it to me for $6K and I only pay taxes on the $1K difference?

52Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:When you mentioned "trade in" did you mean me buying someone's trade-in or me bringing my car in as a trade-in? I didn't think they would want a trade in from me ones in buying new or loaner.

Or are you saying someone brings in a trade in and gets $5k as trade in allowance; they sell it to me for $6K and I only pay taxes on the $1K difference?

I mean you bringing a vehicle to them on trade and thus paying less overall price and less taxes as well. I don't know about there but, out here as long as it has wheels and an engine we'll take it on trade. They may not give you much depending on what it is but they'll always take a vehicle on trade.

- Unknown Author

53Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Of course there is a caveat. If the vehicle you're buying is very old and very low priced they may not wish to take your trade.

- Unknown Author

54Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My garage told me it's not worth fixing and I should look for another car. I figure I'll get a $300 charitable donation receipt for it and that's it.

55Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:My garage told me it's not worth fixing and I should look for another car. I figure I'll get a $300 charitable donation receipt for it and that's it.

You could do that or you could trade it in and probably squeeze 500 out of the dealership and then you're paying $65 less tax as well.

- Unknown Author

56Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/357050161626949/

A 2011 BMW 323i loaded, under 100k under $10K. What am I missing. And there are quite a few listings similar.

57Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Check the Carfax. A couple things that affect price are damage or accidents and if it had been rebuilt.

- Unknown Author

58Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

A guy at my work just bought an older used BMW (think it's an '09) for what seemed like a good deal and it just died on him after a week...I believe the dealership where he got it is covering the repairs, but I don't like the idea of paying a fair amount of money for something that's already 10 years old.

59Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:A guy at my work just bought an older used BMW (think it's an '09) for what seemed like a good deal and it just died on him after a week...I believe the dealership where he got it is covering the repairs, but I don't like the idea of paying a fair amount of money for something that's already 10 years old.

That's the other reason for the price is the age

- Unknown Author

60Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:39 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

2013 Jetta with 161K, loaded or 2011 Acura CXS with 111K. The Acura it's $300 more.

I'm leaning to the Accura because at under 14K km per year it's been babied.

Thoughts?

61Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:2013 Jetta with 161K, loaded or 2011 Acura CXS with 111K.  The Acura it's $300 more.

I'm leaning to the Accura because at under 14K km per year it's been babied.

Thoughts?

From a dealer? If so is it certified pre-owned? Check the CarFax to be sure there was no major damage or accident reports as well.

I totally agree that you should go with the Acura. If it was certified pre-owned they'll have a list of all the service performed on the vehicle to fully recondition it. You should look that over and see if any of the major items due at 100k were done so you won't have to deal with them as well.

- Unknown Author

62Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Acura also comes with winters, the Jetta does not. I'll drive down to the dealer tomorrow. Any tips? I'm planning on just paying cash, no financing. Do dealers really prefer financing deals versus cash down? If that's true I doubt they would move on the price.

63Guy Smiley - Page 4 Empty Re: Guy Smiley Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, this is the description of the cars sold as is:

After receiving Internet leads and customers requests to Buy vehicles AS IS, We've decided to create a B-LANE to give the opportunity to our customers to buy these cars before we send them to the auction. Please note that all B-lane vehicles are sold AS IS and with no warranty from us. What is a B-lane and where did We get these cars from? fresh trade-ins that recently came in from our customers. B-lane vehicles will be available to up to 30 days in our lot before we send them to the Auction. As per OMVIC and UCDA law, all vehicles being sold "as is," the ad must include in a clear, comprehensible and prominent manner the following statement: "This vehicle is being sold "as is," unfit, not e-tested and is not represented as being in road worthy condition, mechanically sound or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicle may not be fit for use as a means of transportation and may require substantial repairs at the purchaser's expense. It may not be possible to register the vehicle to be driven in its current condition."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum