GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+7
PTFlea
rooneypoo
Ev
Flo The Action
sandysensfan
shabbs
spader
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Is it time for the Stars fans to overthrow Gaglardi and claim the arena as a spoil of war?

Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Vote_lcap283%Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Vote_rcap2 83% [ 5 ]
Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Vote_lcap217%Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Vote_rcap2 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Is anyone else concerned? The Stars traded for Jason Spezza, but they haven't signed him to an extension. It's clear that this was a desperation move that's spiralling out of control.

I for one believe this is a sign that the ownership simply isn't willing to spend. Columbus already re-signed Dubinsky and the Blackhawks got two of their 9 potential UFAs already locked up. This is an outrage and it's obvious that Gaglardi doesn't appreciate his fans.

If he didn't want to re-sign Spezza, then why bother trading for him?

Woe is me! Freakout

2Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:00 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

LOL!

3Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:Is anyone else concerned? The Stars traded for Jason Spezza, but they haven't signed him to an extension. It's clear that this was a desperation move that's spiralling out of control.

I for one believe this is a sign that the ownership simply isn't willing to spend. Columbus already re-signed Dubinsky and the Blackhawks got two of their 9 potential UFAs already locked up. This is an outrage and it's obvious that Gaglardi doesn't appreciate his fans.

Woe is me! Freakout

So you like to make fun of people who's opinions don't happen to agree with yours.

FYI, the Owner in Dallas will spend to make his team competitive. They have a good young core already and signed a player Spezza can play with in Hemsky. So they won't hesitate to sign Spezza and they are competitive enough for Spezza to want to stay there because they have a good chance of making the playoffs and who knows what happens when they get there.

BTW right now they are spending almost 10M more on their roster than Ottawa is right now which makes for a more competitive team.

You can't say Ryan is in the same situation as Spezza right now in way of being on a playoff contender.

4Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ya, this is a little distorted as comparative but none the less it's funny.

5Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes you can, what the Diddle is so good about Dallas? They're in the same boat as us as far as I'm concerned.

This theory that money means you're more competitive is bs, just look at the leafs.

Spezza doesn't want to win, he wants one last fat paycheck so he can retire on the IR in peace.

6Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:34 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:
spader wrote:Is anyone else concerned? The Stars traded for Jason Spezza, but they haven't signed him to an extension. It's clear that this was a desperation move that's spiralling out of control.

Woe is me! Freakout

So you like to make fun of people who's opinions don't happen to agree with yours.

FYI, the Owner in Dallas will spend to make his team competitive.  They have a good young core already and signed a player Spezza can play with in Hemsky.  So they won't hesitate to sign Spezza and they are competitive enough for Spezza to want to stay there because they have a good chance of making the playoffs and who knows what happens when they get there.

BTW right now they are spending almost 10M more on their roster than Ottawa is right now which makes for a more competitive team.

You can't say Ryan is in the same situation as Spezza right now in way of being on a playoff contender.

FYI, we were a team in decline from 2008 to 2011, when we finally accepted that we needed a new core and shipped out Fisher and Kelly (Spezza should have went at this time too, but that's another matter). 2011-12 was supposed to be a painful reboot year that we actually ended up surprising and making the playoffs. The same miracle happened in 2012-13 (to me, that's what happens when you subtract Spezza, but that's another matter). But the facts were always that we rebuilding that core and everyone knew it was going to take time to establish that new core and new identity. It's easy to forget, too, that we remain one of the youngest teams out there (7th).

If you look at how LA did what they did, it was pretty similar. They were a bad to mediocre team for a long while. They didn't spend to the cap. They drafted well, developed well, and their core took shape over time. They traded well, too, and they largely avoided the UFA market like the plague. You can't build a new team around a new core if you don't allow that core to take a lead role. If you believe in Karlsson, Cowen, Turris, Lehner, Zibanejad, Stone, etc etc., then they have to PLAY and they have to play meaningful minutes. Every dollar spent on a roster spot that pushes these guys down the roster potentially stalls their development and reduces their role. You can't have it both ways -- viz, building that new core AND loading up your team with high-paid hired guns. At some point, the kids have to play. That was the decision the organization made in 2011.

I get wanting to win now, but what we did in 2011 signalled that we as an organization accepted that we weren't close and had to start again. We could have lied to ourselves (TOR) or spent to the hilt to mask it (NYR), but we didn't and we were, to me, smart not to. Early successes fooled our fan base into forgetting all about the fact that we had hit the reset button in 2011.

Spending money for the sake of spending money isn't a foolproof solution, isn't always smart, and isn't the only measure of a desire to win. If the team balks at spending money on the core it's been building, then our owner can go Diddle himself. But I don't see not spending right now as a major crisis: it sucks to hear, but most rebuild plans are 5 year things. We're just transitioning from year 3 to 4 right now. And this is the year if we find out if we put our faith in the right horses.

7Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's an odd move if they can't re-sign Spezza, but they really didn't give up much.

8Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:11 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hold on.

We gave up a ton for Ryan, in your words, yet Dallas didn't give up anything for Spezza?

The deals are pretty similar. People just see "first round pick" and get all tingly in their jibblies.

Chiasson = Silfverberg

2nd round pick pretty much = Stefan Noesen

Then we got two prospects, and they got one out of the first rounder. None of these guys may pan out, who knows.

9Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:15 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

sandysensfan wrote:

Woe is me! Freakout

FYI, the Owner in Dallas will spend to make his team competitive.  They have a good young core already and signed a player Spezza can play with in Hemsky.  So they won't hesitate to sign Spezza and they are competitive enough for Spezza to want to stay there because they have a good chance of making the playoffs and who knows what happens when they get there.

lol, no it doesn't. Spending money doesn't = success. Everyone one of the teams that are competing for cups year on end have their money committed (for the most part) to players they drafted. Where is Ottawa's money committed right now? To players they have drafted (at least the bulk of it).

You really need to take a dip in the reality pool because you are way off this earth.

10Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:19 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I agree with that, but Ottawa's Top 6 this year could be made up entirely of non-drafted Sens.

Money must be allocated to guys you develop yourself. That's how you win. Dallas going out and getting Spezza and Hemsky strikes me as a desperation move to try to compete with the top dogs when they're not ready for that.

11Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:I agree with that, but Ottawa's Top 6 this year could be made up entirely of non-drafted Sens.

Money must be allocated to guys you develop yourself. That's how you win. Dallas going out and getting Spezza and Hemsky strikes me as a desperation move to try to compete with the top dogs when they're not ready for that.

For the most part it is guys that have been drafted by the Sens or traded for (should have said that). There are very few teams with tons of UFA signings on their books for big money that are successful.

As for Hemsky/Spezza, Dallas is swinging for the fences based on 20 games played. Could they be successful? Sure they could. Long term are they going to be successful? Only an idiot would believe both of those players with a history or injuries, packing it in, and lack luster efforts for games, weeks, and months on end are going to be difference makers or positives for the Stars over the long haul.

Dallas is going to be a middle of the pack team in the West, might make the playoffs, might not. If they do make the playoffs they will eventually be taken out by the class of the West, Dallas is no where near competing.

12Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:29 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:I agree with that, but Ottawa's Top 6 this year could be made up entirely of non-drafted Sens.

MacArthur (UFA) Turris (trade) Ryan (trade)
Michalek (trade) Legwand (UFA) Stone (draft)
Hoffman (draft) Zibanejad (draft) Chiasson (trade)
Greening (draft) Smith (draft) Neil (draft)
Condra (draft) Lazar (draft)

Methot (trade) Karlsson (draft)
Cowen (draft) Ceci (draft)
Phillips (draft) Gryba (draft)
Wiercioch (draft) Borowieki (draft)

Anderson (trade)
Lehner (draft)

MacArthur was a needs-signing that may well turn out to be a key cog in our leadership core. Ditto for Legwand.

I know it takes time, but this is the right way to build.

13Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:33 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Hold on.

We gave up a ton for Ryan, in your words, yet Dallas didn't give up anything for Spezza?

The deals are pretty similar. People just see "first round pick" and get all tingly in their jibblies.

Chiasson = Silfverberg

Then we got two prospects, and they got one out of the first rounder. None of these guys may pan out, who knows.

That's one way of looking at it, but the more realistic way is that Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st was VERY valuable at the time they were traded. Much more so than the package we got IMO.

14Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Wouldn't it be something if Paul made the WJC team and Ritchie (10th overall in 14) was cut? Not that I put a lot of any stock into the WJC but that would just shut some people up who keep harping on these two topics (Ryan vs Spezza).

People have the benefit of hindsight and they still think what the Sens gave up for Ryan was a lot. News flash, Silfverberg, Noesen, and Ritchie is right on par with Chaisson, Paul, and Guptill. Hell, Ottawa has the best player out of all 3 of those guys in Chaisson but because he wasn't an SEL MVP and doesn't have a cool last name he's not as good as Silfverberg.

Also, another little tidbit, Ryan is a better hockey player than Spezza and a lot younger.

15Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Empty Re: Dallas Stars TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Ev wrote:Hold on.

Chiasson = Silfverberg

That's one way of looking at it, but the more realistic way is that Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st was VERY valuable at the time they were traded.   Much more so than the package we got IMO.

That's entirely a matter of perception. You knew who Silfverberg and Noesen were: you read about them, watched them play, thought about where they would slot into our line up, etc. If you had tracked Chiasson, Guptill, and Paul the same way you did the other two, you probably would see things a lot differently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum