GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie presser Thursday -- what question would *you* ask?

+14
Number Twenty Nine
DirtyDave
Hoags
LeCaptain
sandysensfan
rooneypoo
Ev
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
PTFlea
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 15]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Alfie is in town, clearing out his home, and has scheduled a press conference with the Ottawa media on Thursday. If you were there, what question (s) would you ask? Make them specific, something like "What really happened?" is a waste of time.

Go!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why move your family to Detroit? Is your plan to play beyond this season and settle in Detroit? Did something happen that soured you on living in Ottawa beyond your playing career?

- Unknown Author

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Wtf were you thinking?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Why did you leave a strong team that you captained for money?  And if you really did it to win a Cup, what in particular made/makes you think the Detroit Red Wings are substantially better suited to win the Cup than the Senators?

Or to the point: What exactly happened between you and Melnyk/management/ownership that caused you to leave? We're gonna find out anyway, might as well tell us.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did Bryan Murray tell you he was going to trade for Bobby Ryan? Did Bryan Murray tell you that by resigning you, he wouldn't be able to make other moves to improve the team?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rated R wrote:Is your stuff packed? Ok great, see ya.
Nah, I want to know what went down that would make a guy leave an organization after 17 years for another organization that doesn't have a better chance of winning and is an absolute hellhole to live in.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You'd actually want to ask him that?

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Nah, I want to know what went down that would make a guy leave an organization after 17 years for another organization that doesn't have a better chance of winning and is an absolute hellhole to live in.
It's like anywhere else. The rich neighborhoods are A-OK.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rated R wrote:Vertigo 
SpezDispenser wrote:
You are crazy if you think the Sens have a better shot at winning the Cup over Detroit in the small window that Alfie has left. One team will do anything to get there, the other team has a plan to get there soon though. You decide which is which.

Doesn't matter if the Wings have been successful at their plan to win every year or not, they try and are not shy about saying it. To a player like Alfie, that effort and knowledge is enough. Cup or nothing at this point.
Whether Detroit has a better shot at a cup or not is certainly debatable and really beside the point. The real question here is does Alfie have a legitimate shot at a cup in what little time he has left to play with Detroit? IMO I doubt it.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
You are crazy if you think the Sens have a better shot at winning the Cup over Detroit in the small window that Alfie has left. One team will do anything to get there, the other team has a plan to get there soon though. You decide which is which.

Doesn't matter if the Wings have been successful at their plan to win every year or not, they try and are not shy about saying it. To a player like Alfie, that effort and knowledge is enough. Cup or nothing at this point.
Why does Detroit have a better chance at winning than Ottawa? I'd love to hear it. The addition of Weiss - a guy who's played in the playoffs once? Or the addition of Old Man Alfredsson? Or is it their D that you think is better? Or maybe you think Jimmy Howard is better than Craig Anderson? Or is it Babcock that you like better than reigning Jack Adams winner Paul MacLean?

The only think I'll give them is Datsyuk and Zetterberg - two massive pieces that are superior pieces to Spezza and Ryan, but to turn that around, do they have an Erik Karlsson? Don't think so.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

One step further. If someone put a gun to my head and made me pick which team would win the Stanley Cup this year, I'd get my brains blown out because I'd say neither one.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

alfie is moving to detroit, but is he selling his house in ottawa?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rated R wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Why does Detroit have a better chance at winning than Ottawa?  I'd love to hear it.  The addition of Weiss - a guy who's played in the playoffs once?  Or the addition of Old Man Alfredsson?  Or is it their D that you think is better?  Or maybe you think Jimmy Howard is better than Craig Anderson?  Or is it Babcock that you like better than reigning Jack Adams winner Paul MacLean?  

The only think I'll give them is Datsyuk and Zetterberg - two massive pieces that are superior pieces to Spezza and Ryan, but to turn that around, do they have an Erik Karlsson?  Don't think so.
As a fan and a fan of the Sens, I don't see it either. As a player in the NHL, the Wings attract players for a reason. What do you think it is especially if, as you say it, it is an absolute hellhole to live in? Want me to go through the list of free agent signings between the two teams? Want me to go through the NTC and NMC that have been lifted for Detroit vs Ottawa?

Like I said, as a fan of the Sens, I get your outrage.
Well, let's take it a step further. Start counting the number of times they sign free agents and have guys waive their NTC when the great number five retired to say...5 years from now. That'll be an interesting sample size to look at.

With Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they were the envy of the league basically. Three HOFers, three consummate pros, now they've lost the backbone of their team - for now anyway. Will Kronwall be able to step up and become something of what Lidstrom was? Maybe, but he's not there yet. Ditto anyone else on their blue line - Smith is a long way away. Plus, they lost Brad Stuart to the West, a really underrated defender and didn't really do too much to replace him.

Or maybe they think Danny DeKeyser's the next Lidstrom? Smile 

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Rated R wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:One step further.  If someone put a gun to my head and made me pick which team would win the Stanley Cup this year, I'd get my brains blown out because I'd say neither one.
But the Wings will do everything they can to try. Doesn't work always in sports, but that is the reason the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win. Alfie believes in his decision, so does his family. So does Weiss, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Babcock, etc.
Unless they can clone Lidstrom I don't see them being able to do anything that we can't do to try to win. Add a winger at the deadline? Melnyk (for all his faults) has said he too will add at the deadline if we're in a good position.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

lol, not sure it's hate, it's confusion - hence the reason he needed to call a PC. He never really explained himself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 15]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum