GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

+19
Hobiesens
spader
Hoags
Flo The Action
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23 ... 44  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 44]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:You rental is $40 / month? You are getting ripped off and should just buy a new one. Mine is $20 + tax.

What size is yours? Who are you renting from?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well I used to install and repair furnaces. water tanks, AC's, etc, lol. Have my gas and oil licenses so maybe I can help out...

If the water tank is a rental then just call who ever you are renting from. Chances are it's Direct Energy. It's their tank and if you are not getting any hot water then they should be able to either A) come in and fix it by putting in a new gas valve, thermocouple, or w/e it is that's wrong with it. Or B) they come in and replace it. All of this at no charge as is it part of the rental agreement.

How old is the water tank if you don't mind me asking? Is it directly vented outside or does it use a chimney to pull the flu gases?

Also, I will add the weather has nothing to do with not having hot water short of a down draft in your chimney blowing out the pilot light if that is indeed the appliance you have.

I would also suggest going out and checking the termination of your flu pipe if it is direct vent, sometimes in the winter snow build up or ice will cause blockage and a safety will then cause the hot water tank "not to work". So before you call, just make sure there is no ice, snow, or any other obstruction at the termination of the flu outside. Saves everyone time this way, they don't have to show up and you don't have to wait.

Last edited by NEELY on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I don't have much experience with hot water tanks, but if it happens again, I'd call someone. Also, if it needs replacement, I'd recommend doing a bit of research and actually purchasing a reliable unit. The typical rental charge for a hot water tank is around $20 / month which ends up being a rip off.

Don't you get free service with rentals?

Yeah, which is good, but if you purchase a reliable unit, it shouldn't need service until it's well past the point of paying you back in rental fees.

Agreed but I was curious. Once mine craps out I'm getting an instant heater.

I've asked around about those ones. Not all I heard was good news. You won't save on energy costs, especially for a family like mine (6 people). You're better off with a tank (in my case, probably a bigger tank). And they are very expensive to begin with.

I have well water and a lot of Dung accumulates in a tank. I think this is just a better solution for me. I've seen them for sale used but, yes, they are expensive for sure.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well water just beats the crap out of a water heater and if that's the case just rent it because the go a lot quicker than someone in the city who's water isn't anywhere near as heavy.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Well water just beats the crap out of a water heater and if that's the case just rent it because the go a lot quicker than someone in the city who's water isn't anywhere near as heavy.

Yeah, I own mine but it came with the house so I intend to rent, a gas one at that, once it craps out.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Well water just beats the crap out of a water heater and if that's the case just rent it because the go a lot quicker than someone in the city who's water isn't anywhere near as heavy.

Yeah, I own mine but it came with the house so I intend to rent, a gas one at that, once it craps out.

Is it gas now?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Is it gas now?

Electric.

Check this out: it's so old that the previous rental agreement was that you didn't pay for power, it was included in the rental of the tank. The power supply was connected directly to the main supply above the meter outside (by-passed the meter).

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Is it gas now?

Electric.

Check this out: it's so old that the previous rental agreement was that you didn't pay for power, it was included in the rental of the tank. The power supply was connected directly to the main supply above the meter outside (by-passed the meter).

Yahhh, you might wanna get that chanced. Don't know if I would switch to gas though because that could be a hefty install bill.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:You rental is $40 / month? You are getting ripped off and should just buy a new one. Mine is $20 + tax.

What size is yours? Who are you renting from?

I'm renting from Direct Energy, and I'm not sure on the size.....I think it's the "standard" size you get in most homes nowadays. Nothing huge.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

40-50 gallons is standard. 60 is a little larger than most, 80 is huge.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Is it gas now?

Electric.

Yahhh, you might wanna get that chanced. Don't know if I would switch to gas though because that could be a hefty install bill.

Oh it got changed. No way Hydro was going to transfer that sweetheart deal to me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mine's at least a 60g -- this is a 3,100 sq ft house. It's vented to the outside; have not checked where the flue comes out yet, but since I re-started it it's been fine (closing in on a week).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good garage door repairman who could do this job, preferably based in Kanata?

Yeah, don't fix a spring by yourself...it can be quite dangerous. I'm in Stittsville, and I've used http://www.garagerepair.ca/ with success.

Thanks, just called him. Should be a lot less than SSF's quote of $600+parts Smile

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good garage door repairman who could do this job, preferably based in Kanata?

Yeah, don't fix a spring by yourself...it can be quite dangerous. I'm in Stittsville, and I've used http://www.garagerepair.ca/ with success.

Thanks, just called him. Should be a lot less than SSF's quote of $600+parts Smile

That was negotiable Wink

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well that's good.

So to answer your original questions, cold weather would not have caused your water heater to stop working. What could have caused it? Like I said, a blocked flu is somewhat common causing a safety to switch off (or not switch on), a dirty thermocouple that was detecting a flame (if that's the case you would need to call someone in to clean or replace it, 15-20 min job).

If I had to guess with the way the snow melted then froze so quickly and the fact the the flu exhaust water vapour along with CO2 that along with some already built up ice in or around it that the vapour hit this ice/snow and started to build up a little. Always make sure your flu's are free and clear of snow and ice, your furnace is included in this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good advice, thanks.

Now if only I could somehow fool the kids into checking it for me. All the pipes come out on the AC side of the house, which is the narrow strip between my house and the one of my neighbor to the left (facing the house). When I clear the snow, there's quite a bit that goes into that little space between our houses. I'd need hip-boots to go there.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You should look into purchasing your water heater. At those rental rates, you should be able to break even very soon and then save, save, save...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

And we all know Prags wants to save money!

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here - Page 2 Oh-look-a-penny-racing-bikes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 44]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23 ... 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum