GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Guys,

I just got someone to take over my contract with Rogers, so I am without a phone now (and contract free).

Was paying close to $50 taxes in with Rogers for 200 anytime mins. + unlt'd eve's and wknd's starting @ 6pm - no DATA, just e-mail on BB + BBM. Entire price incl'd extra costs for a package that incl'd voicemail (which I didn't want anyways), 2500 sent txts (unlt'd recv'd), call display, and call fwd'ing and transfer.

Wind has an unlimited plan for smartphones (they have two BB's available - the 9790 & 9360) for $40/mo. Incl:
- Unltd Canada wide voice & text
- unltd data
- call display/fwd'ing/missed call alerts/conf. calling

Anyone have any pros/cons for Wind?

What about Virgin and Koodo?

2Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Do you absolutely need a plan? You could go with President's Choice mobile for 20 cents a minute for emergencies (you can get a $100 top-up card at a Loblaws or SuperStore, or up to $50 for 6 months online top-up). Then when you are in a wifi hotspot you could use Skype. It's only $2.99/month for unlimited US/Canada with Skype.

P.S. I am assuming there is a Skype app all major smartphones. Or did you mean you no-longer have a smartphone? Probably could get an older BB for not too much.

3Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I still have my Rogers BB Curve 9300.

I'd prefer a "plan" but not necessarily a contract. I prefer a smart phone.

Wind's deal looks really good, I'm just concerned about coverage. It looks to be improving and I have read reviews that it is pretty good in Barrhaven where I am, and works pretty much around Ottawa. Apparently Wind is not allowed in Quebec cause videotron owns all the coverage.

4Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well you can't beat 20 cents/minute for emergency use (no wifi coverage). If most of your time is spent where you have wifi then you could save some serious money using Skype.

Of course when someone calls you you would have to Skype them back. Or they could text you (receiving text messages is free with PC).

5Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:05 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I'm with Wind.
2 Choices if you don't have it: You either live outside of the wind zone, or you're like being Cussed from behind.

6Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You live in Alymer and are you happy with coverage?

I'm in Barrhaven and where I am is said to have coverage but also getting more coverage.

What I like is the no contract and the amount of service you get for what you pay.

If I go with Wind I will get the Samsung Google or Galaxy. The Google is free with a tab and the Galaxy you have to pay an additional $250ish. Debating if it is worth it to pay for a newer version/model.

What phone do you have?

7Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I have the Torch 9810, can't live without the Keyboard (yeah I'm old school). Paid $90 with windtab.

Coverage is great here, wasn't a year ago when I joined but they've improved a lot and it's always improving by the day. Never had any dropped calls and I am ALWAYS on facebook and twitter and internet has always been perfect (Never uses the wifi, saves battery and home internet).

Unfortunately I never go to Barhaven so I don't know how it is there.
My friend has the Nexus S. I think it's an awesome phone. He works at Wind so they get some kind of discount, he paid $0 :crossarms:

I go to Montreal one or two week ends a month so I pay around $5 more of roaming charges than my contract (which is 29 a month with unlimited internet, calls in Canada, and global text, and all the voicemail etc stuff).

So 35+tax for unlimited everything.

8Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for the info LeKid. TwoThumbsUp!

9Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:21 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

I don't know about Wind, but I'm with Mobilicity and have been very satisfied. The only drawback is that there's no tab, so you have to pay for the phone.

Coverage is great for me (work in Kanata, live in Aylmer). I was worried for a while, because the building where my company is moving to (right next to SBP) had no coverage, but the last time I was there I had two bars in the building, or even 3-4 if I was by a window.

As far the Quebec vs Ontario thing, at the last spectrum auction (1700MHz) Videotron bought all the rights for Quebec, and Wind/Mobilicity bought for some areas, but none in Quebec. However, they must have some sort of agreement for the Ottawa/Gatineau area, because they all have cell sites in the other province. [url=loxcel.com]This[/url] is a good Web site to check for coverage; it shows cell sites by provider.

One last thing to consider; since these new entrants use the 1700MHz band, the majority of phones from Rogers/Bell/Telus and their affiliates will not work. Only 3G phones from T-Mobile (in the states) typically work, as they use the same frequency for their 3G network.

10Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks to everyone for their advice... While Wind obviously has great prices for the amount of services you get, the fear of paying roaming and not having coverage ultimately lead me to Bell :S I had been a Rogers Wireless customer for 10+ years and am now with Bell, and I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is AWESOME!

While I am paying more than I wanted, I am getting a lot more than I was getting with Rogers.

11Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:06 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Having taken a road trip across the entire country...Bell's coverage is WAAAAAAAAAY better than Rogers.

12Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Empty Re: Alt. Cellphone Providers - HELP Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I hear pros and cons for both. Like in elevators/basements/etc Rogers is better, but Bell is better in rural areas.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum