GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Binghamton Senators @ Portland Pirates, 7PM Wednesday, April 27

+6
spader
stempniaksen
PTFlea
TheAvatar
shabbs
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Unfortunate that Buffalo got eliminated last night, I'm sure Gragnani and Ehnroth and whoever else is eligible will be going to Portland - probably not for tonight, but Games 2 on. Oh well, bring it!

How's Spokane doing? Not too well, I hope?

Wink

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Weird. Spokane just played in Portland 3 days ago. The other Portland, I would assume.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Unfortunate that Buffalo got eliminated last night, I'm sure Gragnani and Ehnroth and whoever else is eligible will be going to Portland - probably not for tonight, but Games 2 on. Oh well, bring it!

How's Spokane doing? Not too well, I hope?

Wink

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/apr/27/chiefs-gear-up-to-defend-home-ice-against-portland/

Chiefs gear up to defend home ice against Portland

Spokane Chiefs defenseman Jared Cowen said he knows when he plays poorly and doesn’t need anyone to remind him.

That’s why the generally reticent captain didn’t expect to get in the face of any teammates after a subpar effort cost them a chance to take command of the Western Conference finals in the Western Hockey League playoffs.

After taking the opening game Friday in Portland 2-1, the Chiefs scored first on Sunday but quickly gave that back and succumbed 2-1, evening the best-of-7 series that resumes with Game 3 tonight at the Arena at 1-1.

“Maybe I’ll say a word or two to them, but I know what I have to do when I’m not playing well,” said Cowen, who has been a dominant force in the playoffs. “I don’t need guys to get on my case. There’s a time and place to give guys advice. We’ll see.”

Cowen, however, won’t be silent, reminding his teammates of a bitter memory.

“There are two ways to look at it,” he said of the weekend split. “You have to remember it’s playoffs, not just regular season. It’s a seven-game series. It’s 1-1 and you stole a game on the road. When you look at it, that’s positive.

“So we have to go back home, realize they’re 5-0 on the road in the playoffs right now and we have to regroup and be ready for that.”

Not only that, the Winterhawks knocked the Chiefs out in the first round last year, winning all four games at the Arena as the series went the distance.

Needless to say, Portland won’t be lacking confidence.

“You always want to get both games at home, but to be 1-1 is totally fine,” said Portland’s Ryan Johansen, who scored the winning goal on Sunday. “We’ve had a really good record in their arena the last two years, so I think the momentum is in our hands right now and we’re feeling pretty good.”

“That was last year,” Spokane coach Don Nachbaur said. “We have no demons in the closet. We’re a whole new group. You look at our home record this year and see what we’ve done. But we have to earn it. Nothing comes easy to this group. We talk about that all the time.”

The Chiefs were 27-7-2 at home this year, which was one more win than Portland had on home ice. But the Winterhawks had three more road wins, including three at the Arena.

Portland had a pair of one-goal wins at the Arena early and caught the Chiefs in a bad place in early February, winning 10-5. But in winning the regular-season series 5-4, the Chiefs also had a 9-3 home win and won three of four in Portland, with the loss coming in overtime.

Sunday’s game was the first in 11 meetings when Portland had more shots on goal.

Nachbaur said the key to success was simple.

“We have to play with more desperation than we did in Game 2,” he said. “We played with more urgency in Game 1.

“(That means) play with more passion for 60 minutes. There were periods where we let up in that game, where we cost us. They were more desperate.”

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cowen leads the Chiefs with 10 assists. Their series with Portland is tied 1-1 heading back to Spokane for games 3 and 4 tonight and Friday night. Then they return to Portland for game 5 Saturday (it's a six hour bus ride -- are they nuts to play on back-to-back nights?)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Cowen leads the Chiefs with 10 assists. Their series with Portland is tied 1-1 heading back to Spokane for games 3 and 4 tonight and Friday night. Then they return to Portland for game 5 Saturday (it's a six hour bus ride -- are they nuts to play on back-to-back nights?)

That's dumb, especially when your C is 6'5" and can't really stretch out.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Some of these kids still go to school, so the games are designed around playing on the weekend (at least in the regular season) but I can see how the playoffs is it's own beast.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

D;

Andre Benoit-Bobby Raymond
Geoff Kinrade-Patrick Wiercioch
Mark Borowiecki-David Sloane

Don't think Schira can go, D.Smith has a flu like virus, Hale has something like that too..gonna be tough. Expect to see Benoit play 35-40 minutes.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Lines at practice:

Z. Smith-Potulny-Keller
Greening-Locke-Butler
Daugavins-O'Brien-Condra
Hoffman-Dziurzynski-Wick

That's a stacked lineup. Holy Dung, it's been too long since we've been able to say that.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:
shabbs wrote:Lines at practice:

Z. Smith-Potulny-Keller
Greening-Locke-Butler
Daugavins-O'Brien-Condra
Hoffman-Dziurzynski-Wick

That's a stacked lineup. Holy Dung, it's been too long since we've been able to say that.

Lineup looks good.. but I would switch Z Smith with Condra...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good to see Locke back in. He'll have to hustle to catch up to Potulny.

So Smith and Hale have flu-like symptoms? Does that meant thei're over their injuries now?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

yeah, no, not paying $10 per game

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Pirates got their freaking captain back, that's huge. Plus Bargnani but he's not playing.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bingo just tied it up at 1.

BNG Keller, (4) (Potulny, Smith), 6:28

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Butler puts them up now 2-1 :D

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Butler...you know the rest.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Tied at 2 after 2.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Binghamton Mets are playing Portland Sea Dogs. Are they carpooling?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Zack Smith puts the B-Sens ahead. Second assist for Potulny, keeping his 2 ppg pace intact.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum