GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

CONFIRMED - APRIL FOOLS!!!!!Need Help!! GMHockey.com blocked at work!

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm home from work today. Thank god! My work server finally found me and blocked GMHockey.com. WTF!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!. Seriously someone help me out. I found a proxy site to route me to the SIM site but I can't post topics or reply in threads.

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm home from work today. Thank god! My work server finally found me and blocked GMHockey.com. WTF!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!. Seriously someone help me out. I found a proxy site to route me to the SIM site but I can't post topics or reply in threads.

Oh poop. That sucks. I don't know anything that might help you, but hopefully somebody here does!!!!!!!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm home from work today. Thank god! My work server finally found me and blocked GMHockey.com. WTF!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!. Seriously someone help me out. I found a proxy site to route me to the SIM site but I can't post topics or reply in threads.

Some of the blockers use the domain name, so if you go through an IP address it might work. However I just tried and forumotion doesn't appear to like that very much.

You can also try going the forumotion route -- I forgot what the URL used to be but it was something like gmhockey.forumotion.com.

Maybe you can use your home PC but allowing remote desktop sharing or whatever they call it.

Talk to other sports-crazed co-workers.

Get a data plan.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What the heck is remote desktop sharing and how does it work. I am really not tech savy as you know prages.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:What the heck is remote desktop sharing and how does it work. I am really not tech savy as you know prages.

I may have called it the wrong name, but it's what allows a remote IT guy to trouble-shoot issues by grabbing control of your desktop. Typically you would need to physically be there to allow access, so you would either need an accomplice, or you would try to access it from work before you leave, then allow access when you get home, and you'd be all set the next morning.

It's a terrible idea because but it just might work!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If you dare, you can give this a try...

http://www.gmhockey.com/t757-how-to-getting-around-the-site-blocked-at-work-issue-a-lesson-in-proxy-secure-tunnelling-technology

I posted that a while ago. But it's pretty tech-heavy.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actually that's not what I was thinking of (like I said, the terminology was probably wrong), but here is info on Remote Desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/default.mspx

What I was thinking of was something else.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And here's 40 ways to access your computer remotely:
http://mashable.com/2007/09/07/remote-access/

Again, all of these aim at bypassing your IT dep't blocking certain sites. If they start blocking whatever IP range your ISP gave you you're SOL.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm sure Shabbs will be along any moment. He *always* has ways and means.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I'm sure Shabbs will be along any moment. He *always* has ways and means.
Yep. Posted my original article above...

You may be able to leverage "the cloud" technolgy by Microsoft to get to your PC at home. It will depend on the restrictions you have at work though.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm starting to think I got the wrong degree. Facepalm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

All of those ways require you to open up your PC for remote access which is frowned upon. You could try to minimize the exposure by using some kind of task scheduler to only open it up at certain times of day (e.g. lunch hour), our you could even try something as low-tech as plugging your modem into a Christmas Lights timer.

Anyhow, find an IT guy who loves hockey, bring him a box of donuts and have an off-the-record chat.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:All of those ways require you to open up your PC for remote access which is frowned upon.
Not if you're doing it via a secure, encrypted tunnel.

Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Too risky. I already get scared using the proxy site. Even using google to find it worried me. Ohnoes!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:All of those ways require you to open up your PC for remote access which is frowned upon.
Not if you're doing it via a secure, encrypted tunnel.

Smile

I think shabbs needs to visit Ottawa and have a "tour" of my office and my home. :D

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum