GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

USB Driver help

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1USB Driver help Empty USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:17 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

For reasons that I do not know, my computer is claiming that any USB that I plug in is malfunctioning. I found for cost driver repair software, but would rather not spend the money if it isn't necessary. I run Windows Vista. Any ideas?

If it helps, this is the error I get: USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.

2USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:22 pm

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

you may have already tried, but sometimes just trying in a different usb port will solve your problem

3USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So it's anything that you try to plug in? Because I know my wireless mouse USB receiver randomly broke one day and I got that same exact message.

4USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

hmmmm good call Evan.... so if it is the USB interface in the computer, then you might try going into devices and seeing if there's an error and see if you can update driver

5USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Actually, no. It seems to be my wireless mouse and speakers. My Ipod USB still works. Seems crazy that the two devices broke at the same time. Seems more likely to me that a driver that deals with both devices would be faulty. I don't know how to identify the problem and fix it though. At least, not without paying $30 for DriverBoost or some similar product. Even then, I don't know if the software will fix the problem.

6USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:hmmmm good call Evan.... so if it is the USB interface in the computer, then you might try going into devices and seeing if there's an error and see if you can update driver

The main reason for this thread is that I haven't a clue where to start with that sort of solution.

7USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

i wouldnt consider paying for software to fix this problem.

right click on My Computer and select properties

open device manager

scroll down to usb controllers and see if there are any errors showing

8USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

garblar wrote:i wouldnt consider paying for software to fix this problem.

right click on My Computer and select properties

open device manager

scroll down to usb controllers and see if there are any errors showing

I opened the usb controllers + sign. It expands to a list that includes things like "Intel(R) ECH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934. It also includes one entry that reads "Unknown Device" which seems like it would be useful to this discussion. I don't know what to do about it though.

9USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:53 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Also, my ipod is charging, but itunes isn't recognizing the device. My USB ports appear to be universally Cussed.

10USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

If anyone thinks that they can help, I'll be in the site's chatbox. Might be easier than refreshing this page.

11USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Have you tried re-starting Windows? Have you checked the batteries? Rather than spending $30, just remove the device from device manager and then re-install it (by plugging the dongle back in).

12USB Driver help Empty Re: USB Driver help Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:12 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Have you tried re-starting Windows? Have you checked the batteries? Rather than spending $30, just remove the device from device manager and then re-install it (by plugging the dongle back in).

I had tried restarting, but it didn't work. Garblar found that others had had success by unplugging everything (including power source), then shutting down for a few minutes. It worked!

TipHat to all who helped out. It's nice that members of a hockey forum are so willing to help with things entirely unrelated. It really shows that this forum is actually a community, not just a disparate group of opinionated hockey fans. Thanks again folks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum