GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for a good, yet inexpensive digital camera

+8
Ev
jawal
Cap'n Clutch
dawg's wife
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
spader
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My current 3 MP Canon has been a disappointment since the day I bought it. Really surprised at that as I thought Canon's were good cameras. Figured it's time to get a new one, and the wife has hinted that, since my b/d was missed (she was out of town) to combine b/d, anniversary and Christmas presents together, sprinkle in some "family memories" rationalizations, and bite down and upgrade to something half-way decent.

I'm not looking for a lot of megapixels -- the detail in the 3 MP one was not the issue. The issues were (off the top of my head):
- washed out colors (probably from a bad flash; and poor auto-focus without the flash -- not sure why, since the auto-focus adjusts before the flash)
- horrible battery performance
- horrible shot-to-shot times

I'm not necessarily looking for a DSLR, although the entry level ones have come down into my price range (under $500). What I want is good point-and-shoot pictures, some flexibility with manual adjustments, decent burst-mode and 720p video.

Advise away.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

To start off, here is a camera that fits my criteria:
http://www.sigelectronics.com/Electronics/Digital-Cameras/Olympus-Evolt-E-420-10MP-Digital-SLR-CameraBLK

$400 for a 10MP Olympus DSLR, 3.5 frames per second burst -- but does it do video? I see nothing in the specs.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I use the Sony Super Steady Shot DSC-W90. It's 8.1 MP.

Decent little camera, takes video, etc, etc. I got a great deal on it when I was in Korea because it has a little nick in the face, was their last model, and was their floor model.

I've never had any problems with the photo quality, though I would have preferred a more powerful zoom function.

I'm no camera expert, but the battery is good, the speed is good, and I've never had any problems with colours or focus. Also, it falls well under your apparent budget ceiling.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What's your budget? That's probably the most important thing to figure out.

As for your comment regarding shot-to-shot times... that's going to be an issue with pretty much every point-and-shoot camera. If you want the rapid fire, you'll need to look at a DSLR, and then you're into a whole different world of lenses, hoods, filters, depth of field, ISO settings, aperture, exposure settings, shutter speed, white balance etc...

A good place to start are the reviews at http://www.dpreview.com

I'm a Canon-guy, so I'm surprised to hear you had a bad experience with your original 3MP one - what model was it? I've still got my 9-year old 4MP Canon PowerShot S40 that I use for fun - and it survived a three week camping trip in East Africa.

I use a Canon EOS 30D as my "serious" camera. My wife has the Canon PowerShot SD1200 (pink), which is a pretty good point and shoot and small enough for her to carry around in her purse easily.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A good comparison of three cameras that you could consider:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q42010highendcompactgroup/

They are:
- Canon PowerShot S95
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
- Nikon Coolpix P7000

All in the $400-$500 range and all can do 720p video.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Fujifilm FinePix AX200 about $75US at Amazon.

Probably $279 at a Canadian retailer Sarcasm

dawg's wife

Prospect
Prospect

My Opinion..I'm not a camera guy, but talked to the guys who take pictures for the NHL....they pointed me to this one saying it's the best "pocket" camera and the price is very good as well...

camera link

ordered it and got it 2 days later...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

dawg's wife wrote:My Opinion..I'm not a camera guy, but talked to the guys who take pictures for the NHL....they pointed me to this one saying it's the best "pocket" camera and the price is very good as well...

camera link

ordered it and got it 2 days later...
Canon PowerShot SD4000IS - impressive - f/2.0 lens (@ 28mm).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:Fujifilm FinePix AX200 about $75US at Amazon.

Probably $279 at a Canadian retailer Sarcasm

Shobot.ca doesn't even find it; just some compatible kits (no camera). Weird.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anyone have any thoughts about the Canon EOS Rebel XS? It's on sale at Dell.ca for $480 ($70 off -- that's an even better deal than Amazon.com).

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Digital_SLR/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2419956&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=2&~ck=dellSearch

Anyone think there will be better deals on Boxing Day? Maybe I could convince my wife to wrap up a little "Go shopping Now" card instead of a box, and place that under the tree for me.

This one has 3 fps continuous shooting. Is that good for this price range?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You probably will get better deals on boxing day but do you really want to be shopping in the zoo that is boxing day? You need to factor in the value of your time as well as the savings.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:You probably will get better deals on boxing day but do you really want to be shopping in the zoo that is boxing day? You need to factor in the value of your time as well as the savings.

Umm, you *do* realize that most Boxing Day sales start at the stroke of midnight at your friendly, local laptop?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:You probably will get better deals on boxing day but do you really want to be shopping in the zoo that is boxing day? You need to factor in the value of your time as well as the savings.

Umm, you *do* realize that most Boxing Day sales start at the stroke of midnight at your friendly, local laptop?

Actually, to add just a bit more, I've found that, other than the "Door Crasher" deals, you are often not getting significant drops in prices on Boxing Day. With the Door Crashers you have to physically be there, often very early, and still run the risk of missing out because of limited quantities.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Future Sh!t usually has good cyber xmas deals on the 24th into the 26th.

I just bought the Canon T2i and can recommend it, but in Canada, I'm sure it's more expensive.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:Future Sh!t usually has good cyber xmas deals on the 24th into the 26th.

I just bought the Canon T2i and can recommend it, but in Canada, I'm sure it's more expensive.

Comparing to Amazon.com prices, there are actually some better deals in Canada. Of course online shopping in the US often saves you the taxes, or you can get some additional discounts like the Bing.com cash back. But that's all going away when you guys get "free" medicare, right?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum