GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

SJ Sharks sign Niemi!!

+4
SensGirl11
SensHulk
PTFlea
Riprock
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:38 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=332405

1x$2M Ahhhhh!

2SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What's funny to me was Wilson saying last week that "We're very pleased with our goaltending."

Guess he was wrong.

3SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:40 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That is a huge signing... balance of power definitely tipping in SJ favour now.

4SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Think of it as an excellent insurance policy. A Nittymaki/Niemi tandem is something the sharks will be very comfortable with. What happens to Greiss now?

5SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:47 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:That is a huge signing... balance of power definitely tipping in SJ favour now.

Now...about that defence of theirs. Niemi was excellent for the Hawks, but he also had one of the best D units in the entire league in Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjarlmasson, Sopel (who blocked a ton in the playoffs) and Boynton. The Sharks boast Boyle, Vlasic, Murray, Huskins, Demers, Joslin, Wallin?

FAR cry from being even a good defence, that's a very average to below average core.

6SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:47 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Wow! What a deal they got too. Nuttiness! SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! 805406

7SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:54 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:Wow! What a deal they got too. Nuttiness! SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! 805406

Yeah, good thing he went to an arbitrator....so he could end up signing for less money anyways.

8SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:02 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:That is a huge signing... balance of power definitely tipping in SJ favour now.

Now...about that defence of theirs. Niemi was excellent for the Hawks, but he also had one of the best D units in the entire league in Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Hjarlmasson, Sopel (who blocked a ton in the playoffs) and Boynton. The Sharks boast Boyle, Vlasic, Murray, Huskins, Demers, Joslin, Wallin?

FAR cry from being even a good defence, that's a very average to below average core.

You mean relative to CHicago's D? Sharks D was pretty good last season. They lost Rob Blake who ate pretty big minutes, so I expect them to be a bit worse this season. And yeah having Nabokov helped too

9SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:20 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

You mean relative to CHicago's D? Sharks D was pretty good last season. They lost Rob Blake who ate pretty big minutes, so I expect them to be a bit worse this season. And yeah having Nabokov helped too

Boyle and Vlasic are top notch. After that, it's a question mark. Demers could improve enough to parry the loss of Blake.

10SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i knew it! now do i put SJS back to number 1 in my stadings??? Thinking
i'll wait to see if they add a top 4 D.

11SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder if Doherty makes the team out of camp? adding a 6'8" d-man isn't the worst thing....

12SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:I wonder if Doherty makes the team out of camp? adding a 6'8" d-man isn't the worst thing....

Chara wasn't "all-that" when the Isles gave up on him. Making the team out of camp at that size with the speed of the NHL can be tough. There is a reason why There's only Chara (6'9") and Myer (6"8") at the top end. I don't think there's any top D-men at 6'7"( unless you consider Hal Gill), then the drop off to Pronger at 6'6". Even at 6'6" there aren't a lot of top-end players, and it's a huge difference between 6'6" and 6'9" (and is the kid still growing, perhaps?)

Bottom line, the chances of him making it out of camp this year are very low. If he does, though, and he does it on merit and not for marketing reasons, look out.

13SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:40 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
Michallica wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Boyle and Vlasic are top notch. After that, it's a question mark. Demers could improve enough to parry the loss of Blake.

The Sharks D is horrendous as it sits right now. No way it stays like that in my opinion. I think Clowe will be moved for a quality defenceman. They can not go into the season with that defence.

14SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Empty Re: SJ Sharks sign Niemi!! Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:43 pm

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

Below average is right; probably even lower than that in my opinion. Look for a trade to happen before the season to strengthen their defence.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum