GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Willie Mitchell to sign with the Kings

+2
PKC
PTFlea
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Willie Mitchell to sign with the Kings Empty Willie Mitchell to sign with the Kings Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

2 years, 3.5 per year.

This is the signing that I believe will have the most impact when the dust settles. Sure, the Kings could have have Kovalchuk - and that would have rocked, but now they have one of the premiere shutdown D to go with JJ, Doughty and Greene (to name only 3).

A rocking signing that could spell a lot of trouble for Dany Heatley and co.

If healthy.

I think LA was the off-season bust this year. They lost out on Kovalchuk and replaced an overpaid Frolov with an overpaid Poni. Yuck

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:If healthy.

I think LA was the off-season bust this year. They lost out on Kovalchuk and replaced an overpaid Frolov with an overpaid Poni. Yuck

Yeah, Lombardi's a chick****. Missing Kovalchuk isn't a huge deal IMO, it's a long term, massive risk. Frolov wasn't working there, so they bring in Poni? Dumb.

However, this specific signing is amazing IMO. Very much like Volchenkov, he's an elite shutdown guy who'll throw the occasional big hit if it presents itself. Makes LA's D really tough and really strong.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Amazing signing? I don't know about that. He's playing 66 games a year on average over the last four years and has a pretty serious history of concussions. The money they're giving him is a huge piece of change for a guy that's one or two hits away from retirement.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:Amazing signing? I don't know about that. He's playing 66 games a year on average over the last four years and has a pretty serious history of concussions. The money they're giving him is a huge piece of change for a guy that's one or two hits away from retirement.

Yeah, but he's a significant upgrade on Scuderi and Greene - and they needed that to compliment Doughty, JJ etc. If he's hurt, he comes off the books. I think if his concussions are behind him (I realize, big if), he could be a big piece for LA. However, he's being paid very well.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Brutal signing, imo.

This is a huge risk for a team that already has Johnson, Scuderi and Greene as shutdown guys with lots of young rookies coming in.

I think LA could have made better moves this off-season than adding Poni and Mitchell. I'd be dissapointed as a King fan.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did you just say Jack Johnson is a shut down guy?

This is a great signing, Mitchell is a beast. Their young guys like Voynov, Hickey, Teubert, Fransson aren't quite ready yet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Daniel Tolensky had a nice stat to throw out there...

"He's led Vancouver in minutes/gm at even strength & short-handed three straight years."

As always, health will be the deciding factor in how this all works out.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I thought Mitchell would be a good candidate for a 1-year, deeply discounted contract. I'm surprised that he got this big a deal because of his potentially career-ending injuries.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum