GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malkin possibly on the move?

+7
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
asq2
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

16Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:55 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
Nathan Horton perhaps? With Tallon in Florida, maybe anything is possible, even though I would want Murray to get first dibs on Horton, but with our cap situation, not happening.

Horton still costs too much. They need a guy like...I don't know...Andrew Brunette let's say. Someone who's younger than Guerin, but still has the veteran experience and can still bury the puck.

I'd say Milan Hejduk, but he's too expensive and he's an AV for life. Someone like that, someone making 2-2.5 million who can step in and score with aplomb. What a chance of a lifetime for an older player who still has pop. They could score more in Pittsburgh than they ever have before.

17Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:
N4L wrote:Who knows but Malkin has to be moved if Pitts wants to create that dynasty they want. Malkin isnt the answer in Pitts and they would be better off getting two guys like MPS and Hall.

As for Edmonton, I dont see how Malkin wouldnt be a great fit there. You add him to Penner, Gagne, Hemsky, that's a very solid lineup up front.

That being said, it wont happen like EV said.

The problem is Malkin won't re-sign back as a UFA when his contract is up. With Eberle, Hall, MPS, etc they have three years under entry level contracts, then have to go through RFA status, etc totalling more than what Malkin has left on his contract. Way too much potential to give up for a guy that won't be happy in Edmonton.

I think EDM makes the deal AND signs Kovalchuk. Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 159628

Now we're talking. Too bad he'd turn down max money in Edmonton...

18Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:05 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Nathan Horton perhaps? With Tallon in Florida, maybe anything is possible, even though I would want Murray to get first dibs on Horton, but with our cap situation, not happening.

Horton still costs too much. They need a guy like...I don't know...Andrew Brunette let's say. Someone who's younger than Guerin, but still has the veteran experience and can still bury the puck.

I'd say Milan Hejduk, but he's too expensive and he's an AV for life. Someone like that, someone making 2-2.5 million who can step in and score with aplomb. What a chance of a lifetime for an older player who still has pop. They could score more in Pittsburgh than they ever have before.

Matt Cullen?

19Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:06 am

Horton would be such a sweet fir in Ottawa with Weiss, both of whom are defently on the table and could have been moved at the deadline this year.

20Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Penguins could use Marleau.

21Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:15 am

I'd personally look at trading Staal's very reasonable contract and picking up a winger in return. It's a waste to have a guy that good playing on the third line.

22Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:16 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:
Matt Cullen?

I was thinking Ray Whitney personally.

23Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:18 am

Kovalfie wrote:I'd personally look at trading Staal's very reasonable contract and picking up a winger in return. It's a waste to have a guy that good playing on the third line.

And with his Selke nomination this season, this might be the right time. That contract he's got is only going to get sexier by the year. He could fetch a tidy sum.

24Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:32 am

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:
Matt Cullen?

I was thinking Ray Whitney personally.

Ray would be a great fit but I would be shocked if he left the Canes.

25Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:48 am

Kovalfie wrote:I'd personally look at trading Staal's very reasonable contract and picking up a winger in return. It's a waste to have a guy that good playing on the third line.

All things considered, I would rather Staal centering the 2nd line then Malkin, add in the fact Malkin would fetch a ton... a lot more then Staal.

26Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 12:02 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:

All things considered, I would rather Staal centering the 2nd line then Malkin, add in the fact Malkin would fetch a ton... a lot more then Staal.

agreed on that one, especially for teams looking for a #1 centre, now if Shero pulled the trigger or not, that is the question, I don't see it.

27Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 12:34 pm

Exactly, Pitts doesnt need 2 number 1 centers, they need some 1st line wingers. Staal can do the job as a number 2 center, hell he may be the best number 2 center in the game at this point. Getting Crosby help on his wings is an absolute must.

28Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

But..if you can sprinkle a few cheap wingers in there for them, everything should theoretically be fine. Having Staal as a 3rd line center means teams can cheat and put the 5th/6th pairing out there against them.

I dunno man. I would look to Whitney @ 2.5 per year, Brunette, Cullen, etc. way before I traded the reigning Conn Smyth winner/Art Ross winner/Hart finalist. Those guys don't grow on trees to say the least.

29Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 1:18 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

In fact, look no further than Chicago, they can provide some cheapish wingers.

30Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 1:27 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:In fact, look no further than Chicago, they can provide some cheapish wingers.

Kane, Versteeg, and Buff all make 3 mil plus...

Point Im making is Malkin isnt the number 1 center there and despite winning The Conn Smyth he shows up when he wants, has been invisable on a lot of nights and basically cant be counted on when his team mates need him. He's there sometimes but you question a lot about the guy.

Pitts needs good wingers, not cheap ones.

I would rather have Staal as my 2nd line centers at 4 mil then Malking there at close to 9. There is no shot there is a 5 million dollar gap between them.

31Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 1:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's an intriguing debate, I can see both sides. I wouldn't do it personally, but I can see where it would have to be done.

32Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:It's an intriguing debate, I can see both sides. I wouldn't do it personally, but I can see where it would have to be done.

I think it's coming to crunch time if this ever gets done. Maybe you hang on to him this season and see what happens. But in 11-12, you have the end of both Crosby and Staal's contracts looming the following season.

If you chose to hang on to Malkin, you probably dealt (more) draft picks to surround Crosby with aging, band-aid solutions. I would make the pre-emptive move now. Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 235689 Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 805406

33Malkin possibly on the move? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm all for them trading Staal. I'd rather have the 1-2 punch with Malkin and Crosby. Clearly it's worked, they've already won the Cup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum