GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Empty Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Some of you guys may remember Daniel Tolensky from HBuzz. He's now blogging for TSN. I really enjoyed his blogs and found he was impartial and had some great in-depth analysis of the latest topics. This is where he'll be hanging out on TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/beyond_the_scoresheet/?id=blogs-beyond_the_scoresheet

2Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Empty Re: Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Good on him. I remember him being a straight shooter, who seemed to know his stuff and having some sources in Edmonton. Although I can't remember the topic, I remember a sold piece he wrote that was a real lightning rod for criticism. He stuck to his guns though and defended his opinion.

Looking forward to his stuff.

3Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Empty Re: Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I liked his stuff over on HB, but his first outing with TSN left me unimpressed. Calling his spot "Beyond the stats" then reeling off a bunch of nearly useless numbers that correlate *nothing* is not a great way to start off. The biggest correlation factor between pre-season and regular-season success is the make up of the team. Some teams have their lineups set from game 1, others have 20 rookies in camp and half of them stick around until the last couple of games. Also the pre-season lacks any structure. Some teams play 8 games; some only 4. The Sens played something like 4 of their 6 games before they had a couple of days practicing.

Anyhow, I'll bookmark the link and check it out from time to time but, I'm just being honsest, this was not his best work.

4Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Empty Re: Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I liked his stuff over on HB, but his first outing with TSN left me unimpressed. Calling his spot "Beyond the stats" then reeling off a bunch of nearly useless numbers that correlate *nothing* is not a great way to start off. The biggest correlation factor between pre-season and regular-season success is the make up of the team. Some teams have their lineups set from game 1, others have 20 rookies in camp and half of them stick around until the last couple of games. Also the pre-season lacks any structure. Some teams play 8 games; some only 4. The Sens played something like 4 of their 6 games before they had a couple of days practicing.

Anyhow, I'll bookmark the link and check it out from time to time but, I'm just being honsest, this was not his best work.
The one interesting thing was that teams that did very well in the pre-season (>90% win pct) made the playoffs and teams that did poorly (<30% win ptc) did not. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot, but there are some interesting trends that have shown up over the years.

5Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Empty Re: Daniel Tolensky now blogging for TSN Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:08 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A new Tolensky blog is up... and it's all about Truculence...

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/beyond_the_scoresheet/?id=299874

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum