GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What if Heatley hadn't said no to the Oilers?

+6
smash88
M_Christopher
wprager
Jordo
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Thought it would be interesting to let people see how the players from the original deal are doing, as we all know how Michalek and Cheechoo are doing.

The deal that never was was centrered, some may argue, around Dusting Penner. A power forward whom many have felt has underachieved in since being signed to a large offer sheet has scored at a torrid pace right from the beginning of the season. Now with 8G, 7A and a +8 rating in 11 games, the Winkler, Manitoba native who last year spent most of the season in the Oilers' dog house, is now leading the team in points, also has twice as many goals as the next person on the team. Things are looking up for the 27 year old.

Another piece of the deal was Ladislav Smid. The 23 year old Czech is leading his team in plus/minus with a +9, an impressive feat for the young defensive defenseman. He has been held goalless, but has 4 assists, 2 of which have been on the PP, where he has averaged just under 30 seconds per game. He has made improvements in all aspects of his game, leading his team in blocked shots (21), 6th in team hits (11) and being 3rd among regular players in fewest giveaways (4). He has even been in 1 fight this year, where he tussled with Mark Giordano. The verdict on hockeyfights.com is that Smid was the winner, although there are valid arguments that it was a draw.

The last piece of the Heatley to Edmonton deal saw the Sens receiving Andrew Cogliano. This young speedster has struggled thus far in the season, amassing just 2 goals and 3 assists. He is still a highly touted kid, with plenty of skill and has plenty of time to add a little consistency to his game.

I did not want to include this in order to state what the better deal would have been, but rather to show what could have been, and to show the judge of talent that Murray appears to have.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

For sure Murray seemed to know what he was doing on both transactions he was considering. Fat Penner has come a long way now that MacT is gone and probably would have been a nice player to play beside Spezza...but...where Cogliano is a nice, young player who's starting to mature, Michalek is just as fast, has finish, loves to get into the dirty zones and can flat out beat defenders one on one on the outside - something the Sens have lacked for way too long.

Looking back at both prospective deals, I like Smid being in there now, I'm starting to see why Murray wanted him. Cogliano is a nice piece, and Fat Penner has the potential to finally realize his potential. However, if you asked me to choose between the two deals, I would choose the San Jose deal every time. I love Milan Michalek and I think he was born to be an Ottawa Senator. I love his tenaciousness, his speed, his aggression, his no fear approach to crashing the blue paint - and I also think that he makes Spezza a better player by making him move his feet.

To me, Milan Michalek is worth the entire Oilers deal alone. I'm a very, very happy fan to have him on board for 5 years at Fat Penner's cap hit.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Hard to say if Penner would have played as well as he has if the situation was different. I personally think that this backhanded deal has lit a spark under Penner to start performing and prove his worth.

Would it still have been the case if he was dealt to Ottawa? I guess that's up for debate. He sure is firing on all cylinders lately though, and that's hard to argue against.

I personally like Michalek over Penner, as I'm sure not too many would disagree with, given this years current points totals or not. Michalek in my mind brings far more to the game and team.

So it comes down to whether or not Cheechoo and an upgrade from 5th to 2nd are worth more Smid and Cogliano.

I would say that given Cheechoo's past and potential, as well as our drafting history- that we made the right call all around on the deal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Penner is doing well now, but it's a little early to tell. Let's see where all of the players are in 3 years' time, when we'll still have 2 more years left on Michalek's $4.3M.

The actual package of Penner/Cogliano/Smid is better then what we got, that being said we might have recieved the best player our of the actual deal that went down and Michalek is def a better player than anyone in that Edmonton deal.

LOVE Smid though. We have had a lot of unsuspecting people step in for The Sens though as well. If The Edmonton deal goes through there is no Carkner, perhaps no regin, and no 2nd round draft pick which could turn into anything really.

I like the Sharks deal the best because what Michalek brings is special and is almost impossible to find anywhere else.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

N4L wrote:The actual package of Penner/Cogliano/Smid is better then what we got, that being said we might have recieved the best player our of the actual deal that went down and Michalek is def a better player than anyone in that Edmonton deal.

LOVE Smid though. We have had a lot of unsuspecting people step in for The Sens though as well. If The Edmonton deal goes through there is no Carkner, perhaps no regin, and no 2nd round draft pick which could turn into anything really.

I like the Sharks deal the best because what Michalek brings is special and is almost impossible to find anywhere else.

I'll second that.

Michalek and the 2nd round pick are a solid return that carried a very little risk. And we all knew what we were getting in Cheechoo, so again no surprises there.

The less "surprises" the better when dealing away a superstar for less. What if Heatley hadn't said no to the Oilers? 77131

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:The actual package of Penner/Cogliano/Smid is better then what we got, that being said we might have recieved the best player our of the actual deal that went down and Michalek is def a better player than anyone in that Edmonton deal.

Bang on....

Ya, that's right!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:Ya, that's right!
Time for another N4L appreciation thread?

Wink

That was a Neely appriciation thread, N4L def deseves one too.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

N4L wrote:That was a Neely appriciation thread, N4L def deseves one too.
HA HA HA!

Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Guys, can I ask a stupid question? Why are we discussing this like it was a choice? Murray did not have a choice. His had was forced, and he made the best trade he could by insisting on Michalek. If Murray *had* a choice, he would have taken Penner/Smid/Cogliano.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Guys, can I ask a stupid question? Why are we discussing this like it was a choice? Murray did not have a choice. His had was forced, and he made the best trade he could by insisting on Michalek. If Murray *had* a choice, he would have taken Penner/Smid/Cogliano.

Who is, exactly? What if Heatley hadn't said no to the Oilers? Confused

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Penner is doing well now, but it's a little early to tell. Let's see where all of the players are in 3 years' time, when we'll still have 2 more years left on Michalek's $4.3M.

Not to mention Michalek is 24 to Penner's 27.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Guys, can I ask a stupid question? Why are we discussing this like it was a choice? Murray did not have a choice. His had was forced, and he made the best trade he could by insisting on Michalek. If Murray *had* a choice, he would have taken Penner/Smid/Cogliano.

Who is, exactly? What if Heatley hadn't said no to the Oilers? Confused

Well, at the risk of singling him out, Jordo said:

I would say that given Cheechoo's past and potential, as well as our
drafting history- that we made the right call all around on the deal.

Thing is, it wasn't our (Murray's) call to make.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum