GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot

+3
SensFan71
PTFlea
shabbs
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The injuries just keep coming for the Boston Bruins...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=295573

He's expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

Last edited by shabbs on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy cow....needless to say, that's a friggin BIG one.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No doubt. Lucic and Savard both gone for 4-6 weeks is a big hit to the B's. Thomas is going to have to play out of his mind the whole time.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

oh wow things are just not going good for the Bruins at all, I hope the Sens don't take them lightly this weekend, need to kick them while they are down.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Depends on how you look at things from the Bruins side... sure, winning the cup is a great feat, but its not like they were leading the charge there, nor considered favorites. But now they are possibly looking at two top 10 picks, possibly even the first overall pick? Talk about the rich getting richer. A great thing for the team considering how tight to the cap they are and that they have some sizable UFA's to try and retain.

If the B's get Taylor Hall and John McFarland or Kabanov I will lose it.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Depends on how you look at things from the Bruins side... sure, winning the cup is a great feat, but its not like they were leading the charge there, nor considered favorites. But now they are possibly looking at two top 10 picks, possibly even the first overall pick? Talk about the rich getting richer. A great thing for the team considering how tight to the cap they are and that they have some sizable UFA's to try and retain.

If the B's get Taylor Hall and John McFarland or Kabanov I will lose it.

you can send the thank you note to Brian Burke along with 50,000 lbs of elephant $hit, what a freaking challenged of a GM he is.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Don't tell him that, he still thinks he made off with a winner. He has the fans brainwashed in believing that too.

You mean to tell us BB that two potential top 5 picks, and the possibility of a steal with a 2nd, wouldn't get you the equivalent of one Kessel somewhere?

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Don't tell him that, he still thinks he made off with a winner. He has the fans brainwashed in believing that too.

You mean to tell us BB that two potential top 5 picks, and the possibility of a steal with a 2nd, wouldn't get you the equivalent of one Kessel somewhere?

He has some fans brainwashed. But those fans are the same as Senators' fans who think Spezza is the best player in the league.

I don't think the B's are bottom 10 bad. Their offence is certainly less daunting though.

Guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Wheeler, Ryder, Sturm and Recchi are going to have to step it up.

Frankly, though, it's amazing that they could lose Savard, Kessel, Kobasew and Lucic and still put out a top-6 like that. And they've got Colborne, Marchand and a tonne of picks in the system.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:oh wow things are just not going good for the Bruins at all, I hope the Sens don't take them lightly this weekend, need to kick them while they are down.

Exactly the point I was making in the "Clouston" blog comments. This game (Saturday) should be a gimme but we can't take anyone lightly. Good game for Kuba to draw back in. This is really a gift staring us int he face -- Nashville and then a depleted Boston squad. By all rights we should be 7-2 after Saturday night and sitting 2nd in the Conference.

But Buffalo is playing the two Florida teams so they might still be tagging along 1 point behind with a game in hand; and the Rangers are playing the Devils and the Smurfs. It's going to be really tight at the top of the Division and the Conference. Feels like March, doesn't it?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:He has some fans brainwashed. But those fans are the same as Senators' fans who think Spezza is the best player in the league.

I don't think the B's are bottom 10 bad. Their offence is certainly less daunting though.

Guys like Bergeron, Krejci, Wheeler, Ryder, Sturm and Recchi are going to have to step it up.

Frankly, though, it's amazing that they could lose Savard, Kessel, Kobasew and Lucic and still put out a top-6 like that. And they've got Colborne, Marchand and a tonne of picks in the system.

1.There are Sens fans who think Spezza is the best player in the league?

2.The B's aren't bottom 10 bad? Holy cow, you said it, they're still a crazy talented team with one guy on the backend who I think can lift the team to the top 8, let along the bottom 10.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They are at 21 which is (barely) bottom-10. And they got there with Lucic and Savard still in the lineup. It's ludicrous to think that, losing two of their best players, they will suddenly turn around this (admittedly early-season) trend. So, although I can see how it can happen, at this point they are very much a bottom-10 team and there is little indication that that's going to change any time soon.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, whaddayaknow, posts over in the blog area count toward your totals.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:They are at 21 which is (barely) bottom-10. And they got there with Lucic and Savard still in the lineup. It's ludicrous to think that, losing two of their best players, they will suddenly turn around this (admittedly early-season) trend. So, although I can see how it can happen, at this point they are very much a bottom-10 team and there is little indication that that's going to change any time soon.

True, but I mean a bottom 10 team over-all, not a bottom-10 team through the first couple months of the season.

It's largely useless IMO to extrapolate results so far over a whole season. The Leafs, for example, could get some bounces, go on a three-game win streak, while the Sens could be overconfident and lose three in a row. All of a sudden the Leafs are only three points behind us.

Plus, losing a key player can cause other players to bond together and step up: see the Leafs of a few years ago when Sundin went down.

Boston is a team featuring a Jack Adams coach, a Vezina goaltender (and one of the best-ranked goalie prospects in the league), a Norris defenceman (and some good defensive depth in Wideman, Morris, Stuart, Ference and Hunwick) and a still respectable forward group.

So, you shouldn't necessarily think they will reverse the trend sans Savard, but I don't think it's ludicrous to say they can.

What I mean is, don't go pencilling Fowler and Hall into the B's 2010 line-up yet. At worst, it's probably Fowler and Hishon. And then Adam Larsson in 2011. Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot Icon_wink

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Also, see the Sens of 2006-2007 losing Chara, Havlat and Hasek, starting out the season poorly, at one point losing Spezza, Fisher and Vermette (I'm pretty sure) and then going to the Finals.

Not necessarily going to happen, but not ludicrous to think about.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

With Savard out he's not likely going to have enough time to impress Team Canada staff. Time for Spezza to turn it on. If he's playing well defensively, the points we all know will come, and if the team is actually leading the division -- that's sure to get him noticed. Still an extremely long shot, but it just got a tiniest bit longer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum