GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN

+4
PTFlea
PKC
Riprock
davetherave
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:30 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From TSN, 8:21 PM ET...

Former Minnesota Wild winger Marian Gaborik has agreed to a five-year contract with the New York Rangers.

The Slovak forward will earn $7.5 million per year.

Gaborik played his entire seven-year career with the Wild, scoring 219 goals and 437 points in 502 games. Injuries limited Gaborik to just 13 goals and 23 points in 17 games this season. Gaborik set career highs in goals (42), assists (41) and points (83) in 77 games during the 2007-2008 campaign.

The 27-year-old was Minnesota's first pick (third overall) at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft.

cheers cheers cheers

Wild guess, but I'm thinking they can no longer afford Heatley's salary...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Where do they get the money from? Seriously, are they cap exempt?

They have so much cap space it's not funny. Montreal took Gomez and sent back an RFA.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:They have so much cap space it's not funny. Montreal took Gomez and sent back an RFA.

Really?

Gaborik 7.5 million
Drury 7.05 million
Lundqvist 6.875 million
Redden 6.5 million
Roszival 5 million

Higgins RFA*
Dubinsky RFA
Zherdev RFA*
Callahan RFA*
Korpikoski RFA
Sjostrom RFA*

*Eligible for arbitration
No backup goalie

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah that's what I was thinking - they are spending unwisely. They'll have no room to re-sign their young guys, and will end up recycling players every year. Eventually nobody will be able to take their problems off of them anymore.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

7.5 million a year. Facepalm Wow, so dumb.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:7.5 million a year. Facepalm Wow, so dumb.

He might be a hell of a talent...but the guy plays like 30 games a year. What are they thinking? They offload one bad contract only to turn around 24 hours later and bring in another one.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:

He might be a hell of a talent...but the guy plays like 30 games a year. What are they thinking? They offload one bad contract only to turn around 24 hours later and bring in another one.

I am not sure they think.

10Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Re: Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:37 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They must be thinking that they can add Gaborik without giving up Dubinsky or Staal, but I just don't see this kind of deal. I don't get it for the Rangers.

11Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Re: Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm

PKC wrote:

Hey all it takes is for him to play those 30 games in April, May, and June and this would look like the smartest signing of all time Smile

12Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Re: Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/blue-notes-1.811976

The Rangers are still minus-2 for training camp (with Dubinsky still not signed). Winger Marian Gaborik, with what is believed to be a tweaked groin, was held off the ice for the second day.

:****: A groin injury? Shocking.

13Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Re: Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:26 am

Sophomore
Sophomore

its going to be a long year in NYC

14Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Re: Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I get the feeling that Gab's contract will the be big fat elephant in that dressing room. Yikes. Hopefully it is unrelated to the problems in the past, for Gaborik's sake

15Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Empty Re: Gaborik Signs with the Rangers per TSN Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:00 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well of course it is related. He's had groin issues every year. It may not be severe, but the fact that it's happening right from the start is really, really bad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum