GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's Next For The Senators?

+32
dennycrane
Jordo
Cronie
Hockeyhero22000
rooneypoo
Sens4thecup
beerandsens
strachattack
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
LethalLehner
Snuh
Flo The Action
jamvan
The Silfer Server
TeamRenzo
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
Hobiesens
PKC
Urkie
shabbs
TheAvatar
Tuk Tuk
PTFlea
Acrobat
davetherave
LeCaptain
wprager
asq2
Phoenix30
SensFan71
36 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 23 ... 45  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 45]

1What's Next For The Senators? Empty What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:Didnt know that about the kid, but that has sold me even more than I was.

Adding Cuma would set up our D for a long, long time as well. You add Kassian with that 13th pick, WOW.

Foligno/Shepard/Kassian... That would be an awfully tough 2nd line to stop. Literally and figurativly.

we would finally be tough to play against, at least one line anyway, here is the analysis or part of it from hockey futures

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/james_sheppard

As opposed to Brassard, fellow top-flight prospect Sheppard is more of a finisher than a playmaker, with a quick, accurate shot. That is not to say that he does not use his teammates effectively, because he is very willing to dispense the puck, but he is more than capable in doing things himself if given the opportunity. Sheppard brings great skating ability and a strong drive to the net with his good-sized frame. He uses his size to his advantage and doesn’t mind partaking in the physical game, which helps in his creating space in front of the net and in the trenches along the boards.

2What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:He is absolutly AWFUL. Neil 100 times out of 100 times over that gorilla. Neil can actually play a regular shift. If you want a guy that might replace Neil it's a Bass, or even Clutterbuck if we can somehow grab him.

Stortini is another great replacement for Neil if Murray swings a deal with Edmonton. 6'4, 220lbs, and great in the locker room. His cap hits is only 700k, and he is only 23.

wow he is a pretty solid player then, cap hit will go up though I imagine, I figured Edmonton was fading to the background on this one though.

He is signed for 2 more years before being an RFA. He has also put up similar numbers to Neil in his first 3 seasons in the NHL, oh ya and played less games than Neil. So I think he could be a great addition to the team.

3What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I will preface my response by saying I am a Neil fan but I don't think Stortini is a good replacement. He will drop 'em with anyone but usually takes more than he gives and he has the defensive awareness of a pylon, on it's side. He is a horrible skater... for the ladies, he makes Leclaire look like David Beckham.

4What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:38 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:He is absolutly AWFUL. Neil 100 times out of 100 times over that gorilla. Neil can actually play a regular shift. If you want a guy that might replace Neil it's a Bass, or even Clutterbuck if we can somehow grab him.

Stortini is another great replacement for Neil if Murray swings a deal with Edmonton. 6'4, 220lbs, and great in the locker room. His cap hits is only 700k, and he is only 23.

wow he is a pretty solid player then, cap hit will go up though I imagine, I figured Edmonton was fading to the background on this one though.

He is signed for 2 more years before being an RFA. He has also put up similar numbers to Neil in his first 3 seasons in the NHL, oh ya and played less games than Neil. So I think he could be a great addition to the team.

he would probably take more people down than being taken down, we have the rep of a soft team, Stortini would solve that in a hurry

5What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:I will preface my response by saying I am a Neil fan but I don't think Stortini is a good replacement. He will drop 'em with anyone but usually takes more than he gives and he has the defensive awareness of a pylon, on it's side. He is a horrible skater... for the ladies, he makes Leclaire look like David Beckham.

Going on what I hear and see in Edmonton he is highly liked and thought of. His plus minus over the past 3 years aren't bad either. -3 in 08, 3 in 07, and -7 in 06 were he only played 29 games. Neil on the other hand are -13 in 08, -3 in 07, and +6 in 06. That being said Neil did have better numbers in his first 3 years. Stortini has a lot of upside to him as he is still young and fairly cheap. I remember when Neil first came into the league and the talk was he couldnt skate or score either but he worked on it. Why couldn't Stortini and after he has put in the same time as Neil be not as good as him.

6What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensFan71 wrote:he would probably take more people down than being taken down, we have the rep of a soft team, Stortini would solve that in a hurry

Did Laraque solve the Habs' reputation of being soft?

A player who spends more minutes per game in the penalty box than on the ice probably doesn't impact our identity.

7What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:he would probably take more people down than being taken down, we have the rep of a soft team, Stortini would solve that in a hurry

Did Laraque solve the Habs' reputation of being soft?

A player who spends more minutes per game in the penalty box than on the ice probably doesn't impact our identity.

you can't help the Canadians in my opinion, I do see where you are coming from, but Laracque's head wasn't in it, this team needs to be come tough to play against, will Stortini do that on his own, no, but its a start, Kassian is another start, or possibly James Sheppard, depending on which deal Murray accepts for heatley.

8What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:I will preface my response by saying I am a Neil fan but I don't think Stortini is a good replacement. He will drop 'em with anyone but usually takes more than he gives and he has the defensive awareness of a pylon, on it's side. He is a horrible skater... for the ladies, he makes Leclaire look like David Beckham.

Going on what I hear and see in Edmonton he is highly liked and thought of. His plus minus over the past 3 years aren't bad either. -3 in 08, 3 in 07, and -7 in 06 were he only played 29 games. Neil on the other hand are -13 in 08, -3 in 07, and +6 in 06. That being said Neil did have better numbers in his first 3 years. Stortini has a lot of upside to him as he is still young and fairly cheap. I remember when Neil first came into the league and the talk was he couldnt skate or score either but he worked on it. Why couldn't Stortini and after he has put in the same time as Neil be not as good as him.

I am not saying he couldn't I am saying he isn't. It is a lot easier to be a 'could be' than an 'is'. Just my opinion though, I am sure that there would be many people who would like him. I am just not a big fan...

9What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

On a completely unrelated note, just found out that Farrah Fawcett passed away. R.I.P.

10What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

IS MJ dead too or what?

11What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:22 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

For those who want to see Mike Cammalleri in Ottawa, this news:

CAMMALLERI SET TO TEST FREE AGENT MARKET
KuklasKorner.com/Sportsnet.ca, June 25, 2009

Barring a sudden development, it appears Calgary Flames forward Mike Cammalleri will not sign a new contract with the club and will put his services on the open market when the free agent signing period begins July 1.

Cammalleri's agent, Ian Pulver told Sportsnet Thursday, talks between Calgary and his client have grinded to a halt leading into the NHL draft this weekend in Montreal.

"There doesn't seem to be a strong indication there’s a deal to be made prior to July 1," said Pulver. "Mike's prepared to start a new chapter in his career."

Amongst potential unrestricted free agents, Cammalleri scored the most goals (39) and tied with the Sedin twins for most points with 82 this past season.

Cammalleri just turned 27, making him one of the youngest unrestricted free agents in this year's class.

Since the end of the lockout, Cammalleri has scored 60 power play goals, placing him 6th in the NHL during that time behind only
Alexander Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley, Teemu Selanne and Thomas Vanek.

Last edited by davetherave on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

12What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

WOuldnt J Bo be the youngest?

13What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:32 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:WOuldnt J Bo be the youngest?

One of the youngest...there was a typo in the Sportsnet article which I fixed.

14What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:32 pm

beauty.

15What's Next For The Senators? Empty Re: What's Next For The Senators? Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Given his ranking in playoff output, is it unreasonable to look to Cammaleri as a partial replacement for Heatley, then (assuming the rumors are true) something like 5th/Frolov/??? would help fill in the rest of the space, and cap space would be about even?

Yes, I know that wouldn't leave room to get J-Bo, but I'm not sure he's what the team needs right now anyhow, and certainly not at 8x8, probably not for anything more than $6M x 5 yrs actually.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 45]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 23 ... 45  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum