GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?"

+9
Cronie
Cap'n Clutch
PKC
TheAvatar
wprager
Snuh
Number Twenty Nine
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:12 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Its been pointed out in the comment section that the Team 1200 is reporting that tonight's game is a big one for Craig Hartsburg and that another loss could ultimately cost Hartsburg his job.

This is the first Ive heard of this and frankly it surprises me. Hartsburg
was Murray's choice from the beginning and can hardly be blamed for
what has gone wrong with the Senators this season. This would have to
be a decision that comes from above Murray and would be unfairly
placing the blame on Hartsburg's shoulders. Can't fire the players so you fire the coach.

Stay tuned...

This isn't the first I've heard of this. In fact, it was discussed on "That's Hockey" on TSN. They were saying that beating Dallas had essentially saved Hartsburg's job, for the time being.

As I said, I don't think Hartsburg was the right hire for these proven coach killers. But I don't think he should be fired.

Coaching changes haven't changed the results. It's time to try something else.

2Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:35 pm

Disgusting.

3Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:41 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

You cannot say that Hartburg has done a good job. He has to shoulder some of the blame for not getting much out of this roster. The GM and players are also to blame, but the coach is in the middle.

Melnyk likes big names, and Pat Quinn is available. I do remember rumours that Hartsburg was not the first choice.

4Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:48 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dennycrane wrote:You cannot say that Hartburg has done a good job. He has to shoulder some of the blame for not getting much out of this roster. The GM and players are also to blame, but the coach is in the middle.

Melnyk likes big names, and Pat Quinn is available. I do remember rumours that Hartsburg was not the first choice.

A big ego like Quinn or Tortorella might work but it might not.

Depends what the plan is. I think Melnyk is starting to see already that losing hurts the bottom line in Ottawa. I'm afraid the re-build and/or tank-job some were hoping for isn't going to fly.

5Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:51 pm

DOnt care what anyone says, 4 coahces in less than a year, thats on the players. CKS, Coach Killer Spezza.

6Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Neely4Life wrote:DOnt care what anyone says, 4 coahces in less than a year, thats on the players. CKS, Coach Killer Spezza.

Absolutely right. This is a player problem not a caoch problem. That being said if Hartsburg is the fall guy... it better be someone like Torts...

EDIT: The one thing I do blame him for is preaching accountability and never pushing for it.

7Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:You cannot say that Hartburg has done a good job. He has to shoulder some of the blame for not getting much out of this roster. The GM and players are also to blame, but the coach is in the middle.

Depends what the plan is. I think Melnyk is starting to see already that losing hurts the bottom line in Ottawa. I'm afraid the re-build and/or tank-job some were hoping for isn't going to fly.

Quinn or Torts with carte blanche is EXACTLY what this teams needs. Either of these guys would do what's needed - press box all offenders. Staple Spezza's a$$ to the bench when he dipsey doodles.

8Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Something needs to change...

9Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:17 pm

MurderOnIce wrote:Something needs to change...

A fair portion of the roster imo.

I'd like to see a decision made on the direction of this club before any coaching decisions are made. If it's a full on rebuild, Hartburg is great with the young players. In that case, I'd like to see him kept. If Melnyk decides to continue this farce and pretend that this club can get it done, bring it a guy like Burns or Torts who will tattoo accountability on the asses of some of these players.

Personally, I vote for a rebuild. We have plenty of valuable pieces to make this a quick turnaround too, if that is the chosen direction. Assuming of course we can convince certain players to waive. If it's a full on rebuild, then there are only two guys currently on the Sens roster that must be retained. Alfredsson and Volchenkov. The rest can go. Heatley isn't a young guy anymore and if he could be convinced to waive, he would get us halfway back in a rebuild mode. If we could manage to deal him say at the deadline, we could fetch as ridiculous return. He wouldn't be a pending UFA, so I would think a minimum of a young roster forward, blue chip prospect and a 2009 1st.

Off the top of my head, using Phoenix as an example, I'd think we could fetch one of Hanzal, Boedker, or Mueller, in addition to a 2009 1st, and a very nice D prospect like Summers or Ross. They've got all the youth they need and Heatley gives them a humungous scoring threat up front, and signed long term.

10Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:20 pm

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Quinn or Torts with carte blanche is EXACTLY what this teams needs. Either of these guys would do what's needed - press box all offenders. Staple Spezza's a$$ to the bench when he dipsey doodles.

My question is this though. What good is Spezza to us on the bench...or press box? If he's truely as bad as some would claim...just trade him.

I'm all for pulling out all the stops to get through to him that he needs to be a better all around player and leader, but at some point something has to give. Either he will become that player, or he needs to be traded.

11Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Neely4Life wrote:DOnt care what anyone says, 4 coahces in less than a year, thats on the players. CKS, Coach Killer Spezza.
It's more than Spezza. It's the whole group.

12Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:48 pm

hemlock wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:Something needs to change...

A fair portion of the roster imo.

I'd like to see a decision made on the direction of this club before any coaching decisions are made. If it's a full on rebuild, Hartburg is great with the young players. In that case, I'd like to see him kept. If Melnyk decides to continue this farce and pretend that this club can get it done, bring it a guy like Burns or Torts who will tattoo accountability on the asses of some of these players.

Personally, I vote for a rebuild. We have plenty of valuable pieces to make this a quick turnaround too, if that is the chosen direction. Assuming of course we can convince certain players to waive. If it's a full on rebuild, then there are only two guys currently on the Sens roster that must be retained. Alfredsson and Volchenkov. The rest can go. Heatley isn't a young guy anymore and if he could be convinced to waive, he would get us halfway back in a rebuild mode. If we could manage to deal him say at the deadline, we could fetch as ridiculous return. He wouldn't be a pending UFA, so I would think a minimum of a young roster forward, blue chip prospect and a 2009 1st.

Off the top of my head, using Phoenix as an example, I'd think we could fetch one of Hanzal, Boedker, or Mueller, in addition to a 2009 1st, and a very nice D prospect like Summers or Ross. They've got all the youth they need and Heatley gives them a humungous scoring threat up front, and signed long term.
Why Alfredsson. He could fetch a nice return, why keep a 36 year old declining asset when you are in complete rebuild mode. Please don't respond with "his leadership" because I haven't seen it other than the 2007 finals.

13Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:52 pm

Snuh

Snuh
Rookie
Rookie

Neely4Life wrote:Disgusting.

Yup

14Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

MurderOnIce wrote:

Absolutely right. This is a player problem not a caoch problem. That being said if Hartsburg is the fall guy... it better be someone like Torts...

EDIT: The one thing I do blame him for is preaching accountability and never pushing for it.

The only thing? It's a fairly major swing-and-a-miss, though. It's the one thing he promised from the start, and I have not seen significant evidence that he practiced what he preached.

Spezza may not be any good sitting on the bench, but you use the bench and the pressbox as leverage.

15Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Empty Re: Senschirp: "Hartsburg on Thin Ice?" Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:20 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

RobbyJ wrote:
Why Alfredsson. He could fetch a nice return, why keep a 36 year old declining asset when you are in complete rebuild mode. Please don't respond with "his leadership" because I haven't seen it other than the 2007 finals.

Why Alfredsson? Because he just gave me a puppy! Alfie casts his own shadow!

Sorry for the stupid answer, but it's the only way I know of answering such a question. Some things are more important than "a nice return".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum